M*CARBO Brotherhood

Your Top 5 Most Influential Handguns

What’s on your list?

Howard

9 Likes

Colt Single action revolver , smith and ruger double action revolvers, 1911 and glock.

11 Likes

Agree with @Silverback for the Glock at least. Gaston Glock pretty much single handedly revolutionized the Firearms industry.

7 Likes

I’d probably go colt dragoon, the rollin white patent, Salvitor Dormus pistol (1st patented semi auto), 1911 (establishes the browning style tilting breach as the defacto norm for pistols), and the glock which brings in the age of combat Tupperware

Answers are in chronological order, and I’m cheating a bit by going with a patent instead of a single gun for #3 the actual revolver rollin white designed was garbage but the bore through cylinder was a game changer.

6 Likes

It’s a hard one to answer but in think colt single action had a huge influence that lasts even today.

The Smith and ruger double action revolers wer super influential in their quest for the.police and military markets. Thier use of better materials and then MIM parts.

1911 and glock well…enough said.

5 Likes

The first handgun I ever used was a 22 revolver that my dad owned in the 60’s and early 70’s. I think it was a Ruger but at the age I was at, I wasn’t paying attention to stuff like that. I was all of 12-13 years old. We used it mostly for dispatching hogs that we raised. My dad would take it to the town dump when we went on Saturdays and he’s let me take pot shots at the dump rats with it.

The first handgun I really spent time with and shot was a Colt 1911 when I was in the Navy. I’d go to the range, check one out of the armory and shoot it at the range. When I got out, I bought my own, a Colt 1911, Combat Elite. I bought it in 1986 and have shot countless rounds through it. I would say it really influenced me. I still have it and still shoot it but my new CZ 75 Compact PCR is a blast to shoot and has probably taken front burner these past 3 months or so. I also have a CZ82, 86 Python, Ruger 22/45, SIG Pro2022 and a Ruger 22/45 MKII. I rotate through those but still my main shooters are my 1911 and my CZ75.

All that being said, I would love to know what that little 22 revolver was that I used as a kid. I asked my dad but he doesn’t remember. My younger brother who is several years younger than me and remembers it, thinks it was a Ruger Super Six.Those things were tools to be used not to be collected. My dad just says it was a .22 revolver…LOL.

6 Likes

@hrfunk … I see your bb pistol and raise you 1) Atari Duck Hunt controller and 1) Marvin the Martian Cartoon Blaster. Some 'dem nerf guns were pretty cool as well. These planted the early seeds. I also feel the 1911 affection but I’m more into the design principle (the works) than the tech spec’d original designs.

Next up for me is a Dan Wesson Model 15/715. Putting the barrel under tension - brilliant.

So - ask’n 'cause I’m wondering - any commentary to offer on the observation that striker fire actions didn’t make the list of influencers? I do get it - hammers make me happy. I have tried to work with striker actions but I just can’t love one enough to keep it.

7 Likes

Ohhhhh yes dan wesson !!!

6 Likes

I forgot about the Duck Hunt gun (that thing had a name like the “Super Zapper” but I can’t remember exactly what it was). I shot a duck or two myself with one of them back when my son had the game.

As to the absense of striker-fired designs from my list, if I had been listing the most influential handguns to the world, there would likely have been a poly-framed striker model included. Since, however, I was listing the most influential handguns to me as a shooter, the poly/striker designs came around too late to really impact me. That’s why this list is different for each person, as it reflects what influenced you. The lists I’m seeing and the stories accompanying them are tremendous. Keep them coming!

Howard

7 Likes

That pretty much would be my list. I’ve carried most of them professionally over the years, except the Colt, I’m not quite that old! But, when I first started on the PD the long gun in the squad I drove was a Winchester mod 94 30-30 lever action.

7 Likes

I would have added levergun as well. But I think he limited it to handguns.

The lever action is something I still use and is still a viable weapon.

7 Likes

This is tough!

But for me, for revolvers, it would be: the Ruger SP101 with a 2.25 inch barrel. It was my first snub nose that could fire .357 mag bullets and was still concealable; and the Ruger Speed Six with a 4 inch barrel (forerunner to the GP100) - I probably shot that gun more than any revolver I have had since.

For semiautos, it would be: Colt Government 1911 - easy to shoot well and fairly easy to maintain; and Walther Creed - excellent value, good shooting, and easy to maintain.

For all other handguns, it would be: Bond Arms Snake Slayer IV with the 4.25 inch barrel (and especially with the newer trigger) - shoots ok, easy to maintain, and flexible cartridge choices.

All good guns, but unlike HRFUNK, I didn’t keep mine. Maybe I should have! A lot of fond memories in those guns!

7 Likes

I’ve let some good ones get away over the years too, but fortunately I’ve held on to the ones in the video (or at least replaced them, as in the case of the 5904).

Howard

7 Likes

I think the Colt 1911 was the most influential handgun for me. Maybe the world.
Not a Glock fan,
Ruger SR45
Beretta 92

8 Likes

This would probably be my list of the Top 5:

• Colt Single Action Army
  • Colt Woodsman
  • Browning Hi-Power
  • M1911 Colt Government
  • Pistole Parabellum - Luger

I own the Hi-Power & multiple 1911’s but would have to add the multiple S&W revolvers, multiple CZ’s, S&W Model 41 & Sig P210 are all personal favorites.

7 Likes

If I was a statistician, I would have probably kept track of how many times certain handguns appear on the various personal lists I’ve read over the course of the past 3 days. Since I’m not, I’ll have to make an anecdotal observation. After reading literally hundreds of these lists on several different forums and my YouTube channel, the one that appears the most often is the 1911. It’s kind of amazing how many of us were influenced by that one pistol.

Howard

9 Likes

That is a great question H.R. :+1: That is a tough one for sure, and I can’t say I would be qualified to give even an educated guess, but before watching your vid I will give it a shot. LOL Pun intended or not. Your choice. :grin:

Colt 1861 Navy
Colt Single Action Army Peacemaker M1873
Colt 1911
Smith & Wesson 38’s (snub nose, police/detective specials, etc)
German Luger

7 Likes

These are the top 5 I have and carry in my arsenal!!
Wilson Combat Professional Stainless 4" 1911 - 45acp
Colt Delta Elite 1911 Stainless - 10mm
S&W 1006 Stainless - 10mm
Browning Hi Power - 9mm
Ruger Redhawk Stainless Custom 4" - .41mag

8 Likes

And the hits just keep on coming! There are some real “lookers” on these lists!

Howard

6 Likes

1911, Ruger Mk 1, Glock 17-19, Ruger Blackhawk

6 Likes