M*CARBO Brotherhood

Your first rifle

I hope this hasn’t been done, looked and didn’t find this so here goes. I think there’s a lot of us that still have our first rifle. Not BB gun, but first ever rifle. I still have mine and my wife’s first ever rifle shot was with it as well. This is a Remington Model 341 Sportmaster, made in 1936. Tube fed, bolt action. I’ve had it for over 50 years now. The second photo is my wife’s first rifle, a Ruger 10/22 Sporter. She got this one this year, shortly after our day at the range with the Remington.DSCN0047
Ruger%201022%202018

8 Likes

@Festus Mine was a bolt action .22 lr with irons. Don’t recall the manufacturer but it was a solid little rifle and quite accurate. It belonged to one of my grandfathers and they had initially lent it to my father for some vermin control. I ended up being the property sniper with the thing and kind of became the owner via osmosis over time. It stayed at my dad’s place when I went off to school and started working and I would see it now and then during visits over the years, usually stuffed in the back of a closet. I was wondering as to its whereabouts recently after my parents experience a house fire, my dad told me he wasn’t sure but believed he gave it to someone about 10 years ago during a move. So, unfortunately, it’s no longer in the family. I was actually hoping to service it and give it some range action but that isn’t in the cards. I hope whoever has it now is making good use of it, it was a quality firearm.

4 Likes

Depends how you define “first”

First rifle I was issued after getting to a real unit when I was in the army was a Colt manufactured M4 serial number W069981. I think I may have some pics of it somewhere may add them later.

First rifle i owned was a pre assembled 16" carbine gas system upper with gi style handguards, on a stripped S&W lower I assembled. Eventually sold the upper (never got it quite running right with all ammo) the stock made it onto my 870, the lower got repurposed for the dmr build I did a few years later (later sold to a cop friend of mine when he needs gun for work), and the lower parts probably ended up in various other guns

6 Likes

My first is a Glenfield Model 25 - bolt action, mag fed 22 s/l/lr.

My pops surprised me with it again last year. Mom had hidden it while I did my undergrad. It was in an airline case with TWA stickers.

6 Likes

My first was a chipmunck .22 LR. One of the original ones made.

5 Likes

I think mine was a 6.5 x 55 swedish or an AK. Cant really remember
Unless your counting red rider bbgun. Lol

5 Likes

I hear you’ll shoot your eye out with one of those… :wink:

He used rifle in the title so I skipped the Daisy bb/pellet gun I started out with. :+1:t3:

3 Likes

My father had a collection of 55 pistols, rifles and shotguns and I got to shoot most of them. But the first one he ever gave me was a Marlin 336 lever action in .35 rem. I carried it in the woods, deer hunting from age 16 to 50. Still have it, but changed to a Browning BAR for hunting.

6 Likes

My Sub2k was the first actually. Not as classic as some but it’s been a fun project gun

8 Likes

I believe my first rifle was a Remington 700 30-06. Long since been sold. The 30-06 seems to be a dying breed.

I never grew up in a “gun family” and never had guns until in my 20’s. I actually got my father to buy some in an ironic role reversal, tho make no mistake, he served in Vietnam so was no stranger to firearms. We just didn’t own any. So my first gun was a pistol. A Dae Woo DP51 9mm. South Korean make. Before you laugh, know that I put thousands of rounds thru that thing and it only stove piped 1 time. That’s it. That thing was a shooter. Kinda wish I had that one back too, but my Glocks are also nice. So I don’t miss it THAT much.

5 Likes

Me and W069981 near jabul sinjar spring '08

5 Likes

Mine was a ivory Johnson m1 grand look a like in 22lr but it has a detachable magazine. I still have it but it’s a my dads house. Damn I want to go get it and shoot it now lol

5 Likes

@chilipepper

Dave,

My father had passed away 6/2014 and had owned a few firearms. Unfortunately, my step-mother did a poor job as ‘executris of estate…’ I was NEVER into the monetary things, but it would have been nice having a few items of his and his rememberance (if you can understand?) I was given a watch and ring that I would NEVER wear, even when ‘dressing to impress!’ I had felt that it would be best to pass it along to my nephew, so that is where it ended up! I guess some of those ‘special’ memories were just meant to hold close to my heart rather than to have obtained physical reminders? :+1:

4 Likes

The first rifle I bought as an adult was an SKS back in the early '90s for like $89. I should have bought a hundred of them at that price. LOL

7 Likes

@Wedge

It is amazing what ‘hindsight’ teaches us, Scott? We all need to pay more attention to our inner thoughts… Just imagaine if we listen to ourselves 33% more and what the difference it can make in our lives? :+1:

5 Likes

I agree, though this can work both ways. For as many times as I listened to myself, there are probably just as many I was glad I didn’t. Of course, I didn’t know in either case until after the fact…so, a bit of a crap shoot, I guess… :grinning:

4 Likes

@Millercs

She is a beautiful little girl and seems to really enjoy her outtings with her father. I pray that she genuinely enjoys sharing your ‘passion’ of firearms! I had never gotten that opportunity with my daughter due to our geographical distance. I am so proud of her accomplishments! If she loves to shoot, maybe she would love spending time with her daddy, ‘gunsmithing???’ Start small . Set up a BSA Sweet 22 Scope with her involvement or even a @ChrisNelson 10/22 Trigger Kit. I not only believe in gun safety, but being knowledgeable with the firearm that you are using. There is something about being able to service one’s gun but knowing how it operates takes one’s knowledge to another level? Competition shooting, 4-H involvement, WOW. She is at that ‘perfect’ age, soaking EVERYTHING up like sponge! Enjoy the time with her, brother! It goes by so quickly. Behind that smile, she is asking daddy for her FIRST SLING… :grinning::+1: Happy shooting!

5 Likes

Good advice, thanks. Wants to shoot the sub2 now but too much kick even with all the MCARBO parts. Shoulder isn’t there yet. Already wants a scope. Kids these days!

5 Likes

@Millercs

I know that you cannot put ALL the blame on the kids? :grinning: You have to have ‘deep pockets’ to support your hobby? lol Boy, do I know about ‘shoulders and not being there!’ After she gets comfortable with that .22 I am sure she will be ‘itching’ to get her hands on that sub2 more often! I remember those outtings with my father… He would put that .38 revolver in my hands after loading it for me. He would share all his ‘secrets’ in aiming then encourage me in a ‘soft’ manner (opposite of his general demeanor, not that he was a ‘bad’ man, just tough.) It was in such a manner that it had given me such a desire to exceed all expectations! By the end of the day, I wanted to challenge those beer cans with his .357! I can NEVER forget his words… “This round is so loud and fierce… It will jolt your arm back and you will probably NEVER wish to pick this gun up again!” I don’t know if he was attempting to discourage me to never pick up a firearm again or propose a challenge of being a ‘crack shot’ with a more lethal round? I can tell you that I have the most fun nowadays building .22 firearms and not worrying about costs and how sore I will be the following day. :grinning:

6 Likes

Do Shotguns count?
Pops got me 20 ga single shot when I was 10.
I picked it out, it was what I wanted.
My brother asked me why I didn’t get a auto or a pump ( I could had any gun at Hatfield’s), I told him I only need one shot when hunting.

8 Likes