WW2 Family Photos

dug this up from my family archive - my Father, a 19 year old Second Lieutenant on a B24, the day they deployed to England.
His crew was one of the lucky ones - lost 2 aircraft but the crew returned in tact after 25 missions
in one raid, his squadron was decimated, only 3 out of ten aircraft returned
he resides in Arlington now

16 Likes

@oldmanonthemountain I really enjoyed that sir! Now will have to look at some of my own!

Tip of the hat and a crisp salute to your father!!!

6 Likes

@Johnksg sorry I made a misteak (did somebody say steak?)

@oldmanonthemountain what a awesome pic!

I really enjoy the history of ww2. My great uncle fought in the battle of the bulge. He never talked about it unfortunately. Only thing he said was “I did what I had to do to survive.” His sister was also in the service, to which I don’t know what branch, besides the red cross making those little donuts for our troops. I have some pics I’ll try to get uploaded. One of which is one of those wood cut pics. I really like war birds. Have a piece of ju-87 Stuka that was shot down in '44.

4 Likes

@CatFood that is @oldmanonthemountain family pic…but I agree it is awesome!

4 Likes

My family flew as well…these are WW1

10 Likes

AEF being reviewed by the air…

An original photo, never before seen, great uncle Frank was the pilot for General Pershing!

12 Likes

My dad was born in Wallace Idaho (a very storied and roughneck mining town) in 1914 and went to work in the Sunshine mine when he got old enough and when the great depression hit he joined the Army in the later '30’s and was stationed at Fort Richardson I believe it was called up at Barrow Alaska north of the Arctic circle. I remember him saying they had been on “yellow alert” and figured we were probably going to get pulled into the war. He was actually due for discharge on his 27th birthday Dec. 10 1941. Welp, we all know what happened on the 7th. and being already enlisted needless to say he was not discharged. He went on to be First Sgt. at Camp Adair Roseberg Ore. until the South Pacific got real bad and he was shipped out to Iwo Jima. I remember him talking about climbing down the cargo net on the side of the boat and how some of the men had fallen and drowned because of all the heavy gear before they even got into the landing craft and how incredibly difficult it was to walk up the volcanic sand beach and seeing our flag up on the mountain. He arrived just a few days or so before the official end of the battle of Iwo Jima but it was still very dangerous ground. He had many stories to tell of course and no doubt many I was never told. I have several of his citations and some of his medals including expert marksman :wink: :+1:
They were indeed the greatest generation and I will always feel very fortunate to be raised by the man that was my dad…

P1010531

The wound he received was shrapnel in his ass that he carried the rest of his life from a grenade that he batted back with the butt of his rifle and turned to retreat and got hit.

12 Likes

Camp Adair Rifle Range is still there, I’ve shot High Power competitions with my Garand on the same range your father did - just 50 years latter

5 Likes

@TriggerHappy. Thank you for sharing that story and picture! :+1:

I find these sorts of things very interesting. And you are right, tnat was a generation of MEN!

6 Likes

TriggerHappy, I was surprised at your father’s citation, since it list him as an Army Infantry NCO on Iwo Jima on March 24. As a amateur WW2 historian, I was not aware of any Army unit listed in the Order of Battle for the invasion of Iwo Jima, only the follow up occupation force. But an obscure article in Soldier of Fortune magazine documented that the Army’s 147th Regiment was attached to the 3rd Marines and went ashore on March 23 as replacements, due to the heavy losses of the Marines. The 1st Battalion, 147th deployed at the base of Mt Suribachi. Based on the timeframe of your Father’s citation, it is quite possible he was with this Battalion.

hope this helps document his accomplishments that spring in 1945

7 Likes

@oldmanonthemountain thank you for the reply - I am very interested in learning anything I can about his time in the service. A lot of the information is greek to me. I thought I had a document that listed him as 3rd Infantry Company E. I apologize for the fuzzy pics I don’t have a scanner here at home. Using the Ctrl/+ key zooms your screenshot :+1:

P1010532

P1010533

P1010534

He was all of 5’ 8" 146lbs. Guess it’s the size of the fight in the dog not the other way 'round…

6 Likes

This is my old HS teacher Mr. Danielson, (bottom right) he served in Africa and Sicily. I have all of his old pictures and medals because his kids did not want them. :thinking:

7 Likes

These are a few pages from my Uncle Sid’s corpsman journal, page upon page of injuries, accidents, malaria, and dengue fever!

7 Likes

@Johnksg that journal is awesome. When I look at some of these commendations I have wondered how the details from battles get up the chain of command. That journal is really enlightening - thank you.

6 Likes

6 Likes

@TriggerHappy I hope you can read some of the pages. I don’t dare try to scan it as that would cause damage to the journal.

Just reading it send shivers up my spine!

Those were amazing men!!!

5 Likes

there was a 3rd Infantry Battalion of the 147th Division that was on Iwo Jima on the 24th
that was quit possibly his unit

again, until your posting, I was unaware of the Army being engaged in combat during the invasion of Iwo Jima

the 147th was out of Ohio and fought on Guadalcanal -your father must have joined them as a replacement just before Iwo Jima

5 Likes

@oldmanonthemountain That is awesome to know - thank you! @Johnksg I can read enough to get a real sense of it… yea - spine shivers.

4 Likes

The truth is they often don’t. In my own case my Bn S-1 was in an entirely different country than me. I think many of the men didn’t think about medals nor did their commanders who had better things to do.

3 Likes

That is more like how I imagined the situation would be.

3 Likes