M*CARBO Brotherhood

Working on Old Firearms

Hey all,
Today I stripped down a S&W Victory .38 special
Haven’t been able to pin down the exact date of manufacturing. Still working on that. Somewhere around 1940-1944 ???
Missing original grips and lanyard ring.
I have the opportunity to add this to my collection.
It was very very dirty!
Took my time and all went good.
Very enjoyable and relaxing

19 Likes

@Captainjack88 I like those grips. Think it adds a little character to the Smithy.

9 Likes

@Don68
Thanks Don,
If I get this pistol I was thinking about buy grips and a lanyard ring for it.
Go back to the original look.
Found them both on eBay.

8 Likes

call smith&wesson on the number brother, they will break it to month and year. love them old warhorses…

7 Likes

@GOBLIN

Hey Buck✌️
Sent them a email.
Be a few days for them to hit me back.
No worries I got time.
:v::v:

6 Likes

Looking great. What do the stock grips look like? I kinda like the look of the ones on it
Tom

7 Likes

@TomT
Thanks Tom
They where Walnut, early models had the S&W medallion.

5 Likes

Thanks for the picture and info. Still like the ones on it now. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

@TomT
Ya me too.
For 20$ I will get them just to have em.
The Serial number on the ebay grips are off 48,400.
Today I’m working on 1946 Remington Model 81 in .300 Savage

11 Likes

All done✌️
Fun Fun✌️

13 Likes

Love the Model 8 and the model 81, both remind me of my old A5 Humpback, as they were made off JM browning patents, tough as nails, easy maintenance, last damn near forever.
@Captainjack88 excellent rifle my brother. thats one i would take out on a candlelight dinner, maybe a romantic harbor cruise, defiantly put a ring on it :heart_eyes:
I been lax lately doing newer firearm builds, gotta find me a older girl to freshen up…
lil history on the 81 woodsmaster
ataleoftwothirties.com/?p=871

6 Likes

@GOBLIN

You Bet Buck✌️
Good read TOO!
Tanks✌️

Got me a Humpback coming this week!!!
Don’t know anything about but this pic
Said I’d take it.

6 Likes

Xfine brass wool will pull that speckling off without killing the finish. see ya still got tha gold on your trigger.closet kept in its past right? hows the bore look?

5 Likes

@GOBLIN

You have seen as much as I have.
Got the pic I posted from a buddy, I said I’d take it
Hope to stop by this week and get it.

5 Likes

if its a later model belgium or Jap, bettin its Belgium, by the stock, difference being is of it fires 2 3/4" and 3 " shells, ya gotta remember to flip tha ring. if ya dont it will split the forearm. i a bell and carlson stock and fore arm on mine, as i still hunt with it. plus i picked up the set for 100$ as it was NOS and the box was beat up :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:
https://www.browning.com/support/date-your-firearm/auto-5-semi-automatic-shotgun.html

5 Likes

you can never ever go wrong with a A5, no matter where or who made it.

5 Likes

@GOBLIN
Always wanted a Browning.
Called my buddy, said it is a Belgium 2-3/4

[quote=“GOBLIN, post:15, topic:8022”]
ya gotta remember to flip tha ring. if ya dont it will split the forearm. i
[/quote] ???

[quote=“GOBLIN, post:15, topic:8022”]
NOS
[/quote]. ???

All you guys abbreviate a lot and most time I don’t get it. I’m trying to pick it up. Sometimes I copy and search the net. :v::v::v::v::v::v::v::v::v:

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
NOS= New Old Stock (been on the shelf a while)
filp your ring= under the forearm once you screw off the tube nut, is a spring and a tapered ring. the 2 3/4" -3" had a double taper. the short taper is less preload the long taper was more preload, if ya used the short taper with a e" shell recol was snappier, lighter load on spring and it tended to split the forearm. :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal:

4 Likes

Happy President Day✌️
No range time this weekend. Laying low because I have been sick. This morning tinkering with a Ruger NRA edition MK II. Not a super old
Looking forward to shooting this.

Uploading: AC40B4CD-8B2A-4CB4-A881-F29BF35DA923.jpeg…

7 Likes

if you break it down, luck be with you my brother. truly one of those “come to Jesus” moments on reassembly… :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

7 Likes