M*CARBO Brotherhood

Woo Hoo, Pew Pew - A RANGE REPORT

Well boys, I finally made it to the range! Buckle up, this might be a long one…

I awoke at 4:30am this morning (for no damn good reason) and decided today would be a range day at all costs. I figured since sleeping was clearly no longer an option, I’d go ahead and clean the Ruger ladies (Subby is still out of commission, sad to say), the 9mm PC Carbine and the newly acquired AR556 8529. I spent some early morning happy time huffing Powder Blast and CLP and admiring them in all their fabulous, oily mechanical blackness.

As some of you know, I’ve been having a bit of time trying to find a decent local public range. I got a tip off when picking up the AR last Thursday from the guy running my background check regarding a range on the Eastern Shore (MD, that is), he recommended a place called Delmarva Sporting Clays & Rifle Range…I’m glad he did and I’m glad I went. It’s only an hour away in “Chesapeake Country” (read rural, nice drive) and they’ve got 18 covered rifle stations with berms at 50, 100, 200 and 300. They also have a separate 500 yard berm and 2 covered pistol ranges at 25 yards. They’ve got some large steel plates at 300 on the rifle range and lots of plinking steels on the pistol ranges. As the name suggests, they also have a clay range with over 50 stations at a location close by. Apparently they also run 3 gun comps, too. Inside they’ve got a gun shop with a decent selection of rental guns as well as ammo and targets for sale, the usual range fare. Family owned and operated, I believe someone said the wife was an Olympic medalist in shooting of some flavor at some point in the past. Anyway, nice folks and a pretty decent facility in a relaxing rural atmosphere. Range fee is 20 clams if you pay cash and you have use of all ranges (save the skeet) as well as a good 8-10 spotting scopes, bench bags and shooting rests. Open 9-6, 364 days a year. Ka-ching!

Bear in mind this is the first time shooting both of these firearms and first time shooting for me in literally decades. I started the day with the AR, irons at 50 yards to sight it in. The AR is an absolute blast to shoot but I’m still hitting left frequently after 60 rounds and adjusting the rear windage well beyond what I feel it should be. I’m quite convinced it’s not the gun, ammo or sights, it’s me and something with my shooting position or trigger pull that I need to work on. I actually said that out loud when the range was cold and another patron nearby mentioned that’s the first time he’s heard anyone blame themselves for poor shooting. I gotta be me, my old man always told me to be accountable. Having said that, I did find the trigger a bit on the heavy side and a little vague as well, already have an upgrade/replacement on the way to solve that minor hiccup. I enjoyed shooting open sights but I also discovered my eyesight “ain’t quite what it used to be”, I will be digging through the AR scope post here in earnest in the very near future for some ideas. I really want to have a go at the 100 to 300 berms but I’m afraid my eyes are a weak link and I’ll just end up hemorrhaging rounds in the name of pride.

20190623_122011

Next up was the PCC…let’s just say I wasn’t expecting the fun level to elevate, but she did not disappoint. I started out punching a hole through the target the size of a small child’s fist at 25 yards, dead center just south of the bull on an 8" target, tweaked the rear sight a bit and it was party time. After pulverizing the centers of three more targets, I unleashed the 9mm fun seeds on some steel. I’ve never done any plinking before but I can now officially say I’m addicted, for the record. I shot from the bench, bagged and freehand, standing, it didn’t matter, the rounds kept things ringing like they were being drawn to a magnet. Approximately 250 rounds later, the PCC’s fluted barrel was cooking and I was grinning like a Cheshire Cat.

Only one malfunction the whole day for both guns, a failure to feed about 28 rounds into a 32 round ProMag on the PCC. Pretty sure this was the magazine’s fault and not the firearm or ammo. Shot quite an assortment of rounds through both, no issues otherwise.

Only real downside to the day was some asshat sweeping my legs at about knee height with the business end of what I believe was a lovely 1903 Springfield while he was telling me about it, I can’t be sure about the gun as I kind of stopped listening as he did it and proceeded to move away from him as quickly as possible in an involuntary act of self-preservation. A younger Dave probably would’ve punched him in the head and shoved his firearm up his bung sideways for his indiscretions, but the new and improved Dave just GTFOH. If the RSO had seen it, that dude would surely be missing a sizeable chunk of his ass this evening (and possibly be banned from the range). Some people’s kids, I swear…

16 Likes

Sounds like a great time and a great range, other than getting swept that is.

4 Likes

@d.kaufman2154 It’s been so long that I had forgotten how much fun going to the range can be, and rather fortunately it wasn’t extremely busy and the guys and gals there were all pretty cool…except for the one…

I’m definitely going back, and soon. Just need to figure out what ammo to go with for the AR, I shot 55gr and 62gr Winchester 5.56 as well as 55gr PMC Bronze .223, had no issues with any of it either in function or targeting. I guess that’s a good thing because it means she’ll take anything I feed her, though I was hoping one of them would speak to me through the gun. :slight_smile:

Anyone using a brass catch bag? They like you to clean up after yourself and I was surprised at how far she chucks the spent casings.

4 Likes

Dave, I made this contraption for preventing my spent brass from flying into the next county. At the time, all I had was my custom Ruger Mini 14 which even with the modified gas port and buffers would still fling brass like a pitching machine slings baseballs. After assembling my M4ish, I tried one of those bags that Velcro’s on, meh. Since I had the “good neighbor fence” as I came to call this, the bag never sees light of day. The GNF is collapsible for easy transport and storage, I use a sand bag or two to hold it down.

9 Likes

@chilipepper, I use this one, but once it gets about 20 rounds in the bag it can start causing FTE problems as the bag gets weighted down with brass. I learned to just leave the zipper on the bottom of the bag open and the brass just falls straight down on the shooting bench or at your feet if shooting standing. Been wanting to make one like @Festus made but just haven’t gotten around to it. The home made one is good for bench shooting, but not so much for standing unless you make a tall stand for it.
https://images.app.goo.gl/BEeDxxaAfdXXDKGv5

5 Likes

That’s the one! Never thought about just leaving the zipper open.:+1:

5 Likes

@Festus I assume this sits beside you on the shooting bench, yes? Interesting idea. For a moment there, I had flashbacks to the Stanley Cup Finals! :smiley:

1 Like

Yes you’re both right. It is for bench shooting. That’s what most of the lanes at our club allow. There is one lane for offhand but you gotta get there quick to nab that one.
Dave, funny you said Staley Cup, it always reminds me of little league baseball.

2 Likes

@Texprep Yep, that’s essentially the one I was considering…and you already answered my next questions which would have been, “Doesn’t it lend itself to causing ejection problems?”. Brilliant and simple solution with letting the zipper open, instead of catching it you’re just directing it, which is all I’m really interested in. I found some of my brass behind and a good 5+ shooting stations to my right.

1 Like

@Festus What kind of material is the mesh, is it just heavy fiberglass screen material? Do you have any issues with hot casings melting it?

EDIT: I guess since the casings are only being deflected by it, my last question is somewhat irrelevant.

2 Likes

It seems to be some sort of nylon. I got it from Home Depot, but any stores of that type should have it. The stuff is for a sun shade, we used it for our patio and this is leftover. I’ve used it over a year now without any sign of melting from hot brass. Maybe not clear in the picture, I left the material on the loose side so as not to have spent brass bouncing right back at me.

3 Likes