M*CARBO Brotherhood

Who's doing Ham radios?

I’m looking at getting in to Ham radios! Especially with the political climate and the chatter thats been going around. Plus I think its just an all around good idea to have that ability if need be! Just looking for general knowledge and still learning terminology! Ah I got it! Lol! Thanks for the link!

8 Likes

Check this thread out…good idea!

5 Likes

Yah I’ve two of the uv-5r coming. Should be today. I’m watch a couple study videos for the Technicians test.

2 Likes

I’ve been a HAM for about 20 years currently working on the Extra License. It’s important to have a communication ability that is not dependent on buried 100 year old phone lines and local electric companies for power. With the current situation in the country HAM may be the only means of commo. Just a side note…consider picking up even used a non-ccp radio just for safety and FCC concerns.

4 Likes

I’m digging out my CB radios.

7 Likes

I just received the radios I ordered today!

4 Likes

You will be sorely disappointed in CB (I was). Two systems to consider: GMRS and HAM; pros and cons to both.
GMRS pros: with the single license (no test required; good for 10 years) any family member may use the call sign. Better reception and flexibility than CB; works on FRS frequencies as well; can use repeaters for better connectivity. Great for a group to get up to speed without too much hassle or expense.
GMRS cons: may not be widely used depending on your area; more expensive than CBs; more expensive than the BaoFeng (aka “China” Ham radios)
Ham pros: lots of connectivity - long distance with HF simplex/single sideband and with UHF/VHF repeaters; “China” Ham radios are inexpensive and readily available; Hams are a very welcoming community; great fun.
Ham cons: you need to get a license that requires a test (the Technician test is not that hard - get Gordon West’s book and an app on your phone to take practice tests; I aced mine with only a few weeks’ effort of a few minutes per day not necessarily every day); the equipment is more expensive if you get mainstream (i.e. not China). Look at TYT and Alinco for reasonably priced quality units. I have a TYT TH7800 dual band as base unit and a Yaesu FTM400 for mobile.

3 Likes

LoL @SmileyFtW I have used CB radios since the 60’s. I know limitations CB’s have and the advantages.

2 Likes

And I don’t have to buy anything.

Not saying anything bad about the other radio options, I already have the CB.

2 Likes

My recent experience is that it is not what it was in the 70s.as a friendly and fun “community”. Now it seems to be a vulgar and unfriendly medium (at least in my neck of the woods), plus “advertising” is now permissible. If I were to invest dollars and effort to set up a new installation I would put that money and effort into Ham, hands down. That being said, I still have my CB capability in my Jeep that I put in before I knew any better (I naively expected it to be similar to the 70s and 80s - it wasn’t); all I need to do is screw in the antenna and I’m good to go. I’m all for flexibility

2 Likes

@SmileyFtW I have had the same experience with the CB radio community. CB also is low power and very limited frequencies. I’ve been a HAM, working my extra license now, for about 30 years. It’s a shame that anyone can buy a junkfeng and start transmitting and ignore the FCC license which makes it hard to get more bands down the road (look at the 10 meter band).

3 Likes

I am on the fence with the China radios for Ham. I bought one way before I got my license to begin to listen and learn. I know there are those that will ignore the law; that’s true everywhere and always threatens the privileges of those who play by the rules. The Ham community appears to be more proactive in shutting down offenders, thus keeping us in better position with the authorities than in some other activities. Since I am new and don’t have 10m equipment yet I can’t speak to that specifically. I had some good advice from my first contact when I asked about HF equipment. He said decide when you want to be on the air and what activities appeal to me and choose a band (or bands) based on that. Given the comments that I have heard, including yours) that 10m may be a problem I may skip it (for now anyway).
I am studying for General, so am leaning to 20/40/80 meter SSB.

2 Likes

I get what your saying but the Baofengs have gotten a lot of people in to the Ham community! Now there has been a huge uptick in sales and radios are to get! I picked up two UV-5r! I just scratched the surface and still know next to nothing. Whithe way things have been going its not a bad idea to have another form of communication! But its a good idea to learn as much as you can!

5 Likes

Yes sir the way “things” are going our country the only means of communication may be just HAM radio. It’s a good thing to be prepared. Learning and obtaining as much equipment with solar panels or some other power source is also something to think about.

3 Likes

I’ll second this…

Gordon West is top notch, especially if you want to learn about it and not just ‘pass the test.’

I have a TYT 7800 in my truck and my wife has a matching unit in her’s. Paired them with a Diamond 770 antenna and I can get MANY many miles out of that!

3 Likes

I have shelf full of old cb’s I have accumulated over the years. Some of them are still good quality radios within their limitations, and fun to play with as a side monitor radio in addition to a primary station transceiver.

My 2 main radios are a Kenwood TS-520 10-80 meter ssb/cw with 10 meter replaced with an 11 meter crystal.
My mobile is an old orange face RCI 2970.
I have several SBE 23 ch am/ssb (base and mobile) that still perform solid on side band.

3 Likes

Me too.Portable and base.

3 Likes

I just got my License to operate. Hamradioprep.com course. It is great, highlights the answers, and has a practice test you can take unlimited times! I also took the exam online through the Aurora radio club out of Alaska (i’m in Virginia Beach).

4 Likes

Hi @PrincessParabellum and welcome to the forum! Thank you for your input.

1 Like

@ETORDIE welcome to the forum and thanks for the link.

1 Like