M*CARBO Brotherhood

Who here has a CMR 30 wmr

I posted what if hand gun or long gun. I spend some time looking at Kel-Tec CMR 30 wmr and now leaning towards that rifle You get 2 Mag’s hold 30 rds. Discussions are that 5.556 bullet is compared to a 22 caliber. So my thinking is 5.56 has more punch behind it. But here it is, 22 mag at close range to say 50 yards could do some damage at a good place shot… Yes results from a 5.56 is more effective. But can you do some damage with 22 mag. This is what happens when I have too much time on my hands.

5 Likes

.22 winmag is nothing to sneeze at but it’s not comparable to 5.56. 5.56 is way more powerful and rimfire is way less dependable. I wouldn’t want to be shot with even a .22LR but the chance of surviving ANY 5.56 hit, good placement or not, is much lower than a .22 WMR. Ronald Reagan survived a .22LR at short range. A .22 WMR would have been more serious. A 5.56 would have been fatal.

That being said, the CMR-30 is fun to shoot at the range, but I personally wouldn’t depend on it for self defense or hunting unless it was the biggest gun available. You said it yourself - good placement. Under stress or at longer range it’s harder to GET good placement.

When hunting, you want the hit to do the job the first time to minimize the animal’s suffering. The .22WMR is slower and has less punch than a 5.56 so wounding is a higher probability.

In self defense, what’s the bad guy doing while you’re trying to get good placement and your adrenalin is dialed up to 11? The up side to the CMR and PMR is you DO have 30 rounds and can keep shooting until the threat is over.

Just my opinion, but if I didn’t have an AR already, I’d get one before I got the CMR. After that, I might look at the CMR for the fun factor.

7 Likes

In a SD situation you will have an adrenaline dump. Forget fine shooting skills at that point. You need to get rounds into the primary neutralization zone fast. The more damage you cause the faster their blood pressure drops and the faster they become a non-threat.

Sorry, too many SD courses with a very emphatic but level headed instructor. But personally I’m concerned about 5.56. While it will do the damage I’m worried about penetration through multiple walls.

5 Likes

That spiraling effect sends me over the edge, I melt down and collapse
and never make a decision. I pull out the 8 ball and all is well.

4 Likes

Level headed is the best kind - and I agree with you. Most self defense scenarios will be short range and a handgun will be the primary go to. I’m concerned about over penetration too which is why my preferred home defense weapon is .00 buck with my Beretta as backup using 9mm frangibles.

In this case, @killingjoke was asking for a comparison between 5.56 and 22WMR out to 50 yards in a rifle and I think my opinion is valid. IMO, at longer ranges, the higher power of the 5.56 is necessary, with fewer rounds needed to end the conflict. This IS my opinion but I’m open to considering what other, wiser minds have to say.

5 Likes

You can’t compare any .22 rimfire & 5.56 centerfire two weapons together it’s like comparing pineapple to an apple ! Me personally Shotgun & 9mm, the 5.56 is reserved for out side the home.

5 Likes

I’ve always read the 5.56 was not bad at all for over penetration. Far less than, say, 00 buck. The Box of Truth is good for stuff like this and shows that the 5.56 didn’t penetrate all four walls. It went through two and stopped in the third. 9mm, .45, etc went through all of them easily. The 5.56 tumbled significantly.

9 Likes
6 Likes

The 5.56 was designed to significantly tumble as I remember, leaves a devastating wound channel .

5 Likes

For what it’s worth, I was stationed in NJ where it was shotgun only. Knowing nothing about shotgun slugs I talked to my grandfather. He told me to cut a cross ( + ) in the slug with a heavy bladed knife. I did, the results were shooting a buck on the left side. The results were 3 exit wounds, 1 was thru the spine between the shoulder blades, 1 was out the front of the chest & the other was out the right side breaking the shoulder blade. This was not a scientific study so do what you want with this info !

3 Likes

I’ve heard that, too, but it also seemed like it wasn’t desirable or done on purpose. They didn’t have the twist rate correct for the type of ammo when the M16 first went into service.

3 Likes

This is what happens when I have too much time on my hands. :wink:

I purchased both the PMR and the CMR. Have not fired either one of them yet. Spring is coming and I’ll try them out hopefully.

As far as a home defense I just stay with Mossberg 12 gauge short barrel shot guns :grinning:

If the bad guy/girl ain’t dead chances are they certainly will be looking for a exit. :innocent:

Larry

4 Likes

I have both. Pmr30 runs flawlessly, but the CMR 30 has a fte every once and while. Both are really fun and way more reliable than most Kel Tec firearms of past. I’m probably gonna start a fire storm here, but have thought about a 5.7x28mm firearm. CMMG has 8in Banshee AR. 20rds and with the ss198lf green tip. Has about the same velocity as 12in 556. Less recoil and a lot smaller. Also is center fire instead of rim fire. Its way more reliable.

4 Likes

I love my 4 Pmr’s ! But I really Like My RIA 22 TCM ! :smile: :smile:

7 Likes
6 Likes

I Still Think this Cartridge needs to be in the Sub 2000 Platform! :smile:

3 Likes

Enough about 22 WMR vs 5.56… I have a CMR 30 and it’s sibling, the PMR 30. I love it but…
It’s a fun gun to shoot and is great as a lightweight ranch or truck gun.
But it’s a Kel-Tec, I wouldn’t depend on it to save my life.

2 Likes

I have the PMR30 & the CMR30. Love them both. CMR30 very flat shooter. No need to adjust sights out to 200yds. Out on my nephews farm dinging 6" steel with no problems. My first 8 shots were off because I was compensating never saw it hitting the dirt. So I put my 2X reddot scope back to where it was for sighted at 25 yards and I was square on target. I live in IL. where silencers are illegal, but I have a KVP linear compensator which makes it nice and quiet. Never had a Failure to feed, never had a stove pipe. I use CCI maximags and never had an issue. https://66.media.tumblr.com/44087672e3669dbeab858e5624f7fa25/tumblr_ot3jc5M6861v9dw6oo1_1280.jpg

6 Likes