M*CARBO Brotherhood

Which Do You Recommend?

Hi Brothers,I fancy getting a tube fed semi in .22 My local dealer has 4 pre owned guns which do you think is the better
Marlin 99c
Remmington 522
Winchester 190 and 290.Many thanks
MickYorkshire
England

1 Like

@Mick473uk My poppa has the Marlin I like it alot, me and my cousin have an ongoing fued about where that gun will end up when poppa is gone

@Mick473uk Not knowing anything about any of these choices I did some looking. I could not find any of the Marlin 99c or Remmington 522 on Gunbroker for sale but there were quite a few Winchester 190 and 290 for sale, that should say something right there. Also from online pictures the Remmington looked at having a composite stock and the Marlin a wood stock. A wood stock firearm usually has more collectability over a composite stock…I would go with the wood stock Marlin 99c, this is just my novice opinion.

2 Likes

I’ve got a Glenfield/Marlin model 60 thats absolutely fantastic. Picked it up off Armslist for my grandson about a year ago. When he was 1 year old…lol. Couldn’t pass up the deal frlor when hes a little older. For now me and the daughter shoot it from time to time and it eats everything ive fed it and accurate as all get out too. Has the squirrel stock. Came with a Simmons 22mag scope and i paid a whopping $70 for it!

8 Likes

Thats a nice looking rifle you have there

3 Likes

@d.kaufman2154 you should be arrested for thievery jk $70.00? What a steal. LOL very nice

3 Likes

@d.kaufman2154, beauty! My dad has one and drove me crazy but being allowed to take it after squirrels. Something about me being too rough and tumble through the brush.
Had a Remington that was a really good gun as long as i kept it clean. I’ve got a mossberg bolt that i love. Really isn’t fair to hunt with, I’ve taken a few with a head shot from at least a hundred yards.

2 Likes

I know, right! Thats why i couldn’t pass it up. Its in real good shape for the age too. Only a few minor dings in the wood. Zero rust or pitting. I almost felt bad for the guy i bought it from, but he put tue price tag on it, not me. Actually he was asking $80 so i sent message asking if he’d take $70 and he did. Rest is history.
Definitely a fun rifle to shoot

4 Likes

5 Likes

I have a Marlin 99 and a Remington nylon 66.(tube fed lr). They are both real good shooters and very accurate. You might want to check the buffer block on the Marlin, as they always seem to crack “A failing common to that model”. I bought mine at numrich gun parts.

2 Likes

@Mick473uk My choice would be the Winchester 190 because of its plain wood stock. I don’t care for wood stocks with impressed checkering. Plain stocks are much easier to refinish if needed. Make sure the one you choose is 100% reliable as parts may be hard to find.

2 Likes

Go with the Marlin. The 99 is a 60 that has a Walnut stock. You may miss the last shot hold open that the later 60s offer, but, IMO, worth it for the Walnut.

It should shoot circles around any 10/22 build budgeted under $500. But your aftermarket is tiny compared to the Ruger aftermarket.

4 Likes

I have a Marlin 60 with a stainless barrel that I bought at Walmart almost 30 years ago and I love it. It’s the gun that introduced me to MCARBO because they produce about the only trigger kit for it that I could find at the time and I’m glad I did :+1:

3 Likes

I’m not familiar with any of those rifles. I have a Winchester model 62 from the early 1950’s. It’s a nice little gun but I don’t shoot it much anymore. Trying to keep it as nice as possible. Almost forgot it’s a pump action tube fed 22s/lr

3 Likes

Thanks for the feed back I think it will be down to price and a test fire. Spares are pretty poor over here in the UK are used to have a Winchester 1400 which was so unreliable that I exchanged it for Remington 1100 which as never let me down.So prehaps the answer lies here?

3 Likes

Just a quick up date I have the Remington 552 speedmasterThe shop have put it aside for me whist I get my Firearms certificate altered

2 Likes

I cleaned the bolt and adjusted the trigger on that mossberg. @ChrisNelson, ever do anything with a mossberg 146b trigger?
Eley red box .22lr. This was 50yds, leaning on the post at the range after zeroing it with Remington golden bullets at 35yds

3 Likes

I have shot remington 870’s and 1100’s for many years without any problems. The only 1100 that ever had any problems was a 20 gauge 1100 my dad used for chukar hunting. He ran many 100’s of 1 1/4 ounce hand load rounds through it and it got to where it would only cycle factory rounds.

1 Like

i like the marlin bolt actions, "80,"780,"20 and "25, due to the fact they are all adult size 22.s this one is almost the size of my Remington

700 without the weight…

2 Likes