M*CARBO Brotherhood

Wheel Guns Or Semi Auto

Lets keep this nice. Who prefers what and why. Wheel Guns or Semi Auto?

3 Likes

Im a semi auto guy. Ive owned a few wheelguns thru the years and just dont like the heavy trigger pull. Now maybe if i tried a S&W performance center or something of the likes id change my mind
Also the capacity disadvantage is another reason why i carry a semi auto

7 Likes

YES! Semi auto? Easy. Not sure if it’s revolvers I like or just .357 Magnum. My first was a department issued Smith & Wesson Model 66 which I shot the hell out of. My first semi auto was a gen 1 Glock .45 which my brother owns💥

7 Likes

Semi-auto here. That’s what I mainly grew up shooting, carried in the military, etc. I do have a few revolvers and fire them occasionally. I do enjoy them, too, for a totally different shooting experience. I don’t practice enough with them,so I can’t hit for crap, especially on a double action trigger.

5 Likes

I don’t feel one is better than the other. I feel it’s more a case of which you shoot more accurately and have total confidence in.

6 Likes

1 wheelie, 4 semi. 2 are Glock.

5 Likes

I like the way @A-Argh15 approached. If they came to get my guns,there are two that’d get removed from my cold, dead hands.

1. Dan Wesson Silverback 10mm
  2. Dan Wesson 715 Pistol Pack (made in Monson)

Now, truthfully, I’d be dual weilding 1911s and guarding the 715.

I have 5 wheel guns and 8 autoloaders.

5 Likes

I carried both during my years with the PD, both in uniform and in the Detective division. The reason we all transitioned to semi-autos is because it made tactical sense. Faster reloads, higher capacity, less felt recoil. But, there is still something old school cool about a good revolver. In fact, my retirement tattoo is my badge with my first and last guns I carried. Above the badge is a S&W mod 15 38spec. and below is a Glock mod. 27 40cal. Between those two I also carried a S&W Mod 36 Chief’s Special 38cal. snubnose, then a S&W mod. 19 357cal in 2 1/2 in. followed by a S&W mod 6906 9mm. It was interesting to have worked in LE during a time of such changes, revolvers to semi-autos, pump shotguns to AR-15’s. And contrary to what some of my younger buddies think, I did not start out in LE with blackpowder, nor did I ride a horse.

10 Likes

I like both. I feel like learning to shoot double action made me a better shooter. There is just something about the mechanics of a nice revolver. I don’t mind slowing down my rate of fire at the range.

SD /HD GLOCK 17L and glock 19. Light easy to shoot well and lots of capacity.

LOL…A good shotgun still must KSG .

7 Likes

No but someone said in here they started LE in revolvers and ended in semi-autos. I started AND ended in revolvers. My dept. issued S&W Model 66 was considered a great enhancement over the Model 19 it replaced. After several long term layoffs, I separated from the field and set my sights to being a Rockstar instead.:star_struck:

6 Likes

I’ve used both as well. US Army have me a 1911, carried that pistol until the 92 came out. I liked the 1911. When I ETS and started at my home county’s S.O. I w ent with the 1911 for about 15 years with a Cold Mustang backup. I had been trained on that system and trust it. Shot some revolvers as well. In those days men carried both revolvers and semi autos. As a firearms instructor i felt I needed to be proficient with both. I found I like revolvers in calibers that begin with 4. I said I’d never carry a plastic gun, don’t ever say never. Now it’s a Glock 23
everyday, even went to the armour school when the Glock became standard issue. But I still like a large caliber revolver in the woods.

7 Likes

Colt Mustang, dang spellchecker

6 Likes

When I was growing up my father, who was also LE, had a sizeable collection of guns including a lot of military ones. In addition to the US issue 1911 45 semi-auto, he had a US issue 1917 Colt 45 revolver. Talk about a heavy double-action trigger pull. I had the privilege of shooting both by age 10. I too have a preference for the “40’s”. My last duty, and current carry is a Glock 27. Also occasionally carry my Sig 1911 Nightmare Fastback 45. I agree with big bullets for the woods, my deer hunting pistol is a S&W mod.29 44mag. I believe a solid background in revolvers makes you a better shot with semi autos. Less rounds and a double action makes you focus harder on the basics of marksmanship. I saw too many “youngsters” in LE using the “spray and pray” method with their high capacity semi autos.

8 Likes

Dred glad to find another Dan Wesson wheel gun fan, I am also affected. As for wheelguns or simi autos I do not think I could choose one over the other. R S Remembering Warren Center who happen to prefer single shot pistol.

5 Likes

Both. I think there is something special about both. While a semi-auto may have more capacity in most cases, and a faster rate of fire (maybe), there is something about a revolver that can’t be beat.

6 Likes

I have to say that I am a semi auto guy now. But I still have a special place in my life for wheel guns. My Colt King Cobra 357 magnum, and the newest one the S&W 442 airweight.

colt_4-inch_king_cobra-l

8 Likes

I started out on the road in LE carrying a S&W mod 15 in 38 spec. w/ 4 in. barrel. When I got promoted to the investigative division, I carried a S&W mod. 36 Chief’s spec. also in 38 spec with a 2in. barrel and a 5 shot capacity. I was the first officer on my Dept to earn an expert marksmanship medal, and did it with both of those guns. Later, I was issued a S&W mod.19 in 357mag with a 2 1/2 in. barrel, a 6 shot. I was involved in our Dept’s testing when we transitioned to semi autos, first to a S&W mod 6906 in 9mm and eventually to Glock 40 cal. My Glock was the mod. 27. My life and that of others depended on all of those weapons over a 30+ yr career. I have great respect for all of them, and had confidence in each to get the job done. Still have most of them and still shoot them.

8 Likes

I started with revolvers, as a young man in the 80s and 90s you could get the LE turn-ins dirt cheap. (Great when you are on a budget!)

Back then I was a bullseye shooter and a good revolver with 6" of barrel length just can’t be beat!

But time and my use of a pistol has changed me. It simply is just more difficult to carry a revolver all day long. Plus for competitive tactical shooting you simply cannot beat the polymer semiautomatic.

I still love the .357 magnum, but I only carry a 9mm PPQ!

9 Likes

work/play, simiauto, but hunting, its either a large cal revolver (44 mag) or the singleshot contender
(depends on the rifle im carrying, contender matches in cal, usually 45/70)

Im growing accustomed to the poly guns, But old hands, just seem to prefer steel guns. I like the feel, the weight.
1911 and M92, dont have to look, can tell by the feel how many rounds ect. like holding a old friend. favorite wheel gun? my old model 29/2 smith. almost done with a refurb on it, waiting on parts to come back now, with a satin refinish.
I ttend to be more accurate with a wheel gun tight pattern, simiauto, I got more rounds, pattern is a lil bit larger,
Both have a purpose in your tool box…

7 Likes

Semi for conceal carry - I have three depending on weather SR9C, Caniktp9SA, and my fav a FNX-45. But I keep a 5 shot snubby in a holster under my bed table for defending around my bed at night. The snubby is a Taurus 605 that I did an action job on. Perfect for immediate short range defense, But I won’t carry it. Then there is the JMpro 12 gauge in the bedroom closet. Basically I have 5 setup around the house for defense. Rest are in the gun safe…Oh almost forgot my wife keeps her CZ SP01 tactical in her bed table. One of the pistols I bought for myself, did a trigger job on, then she shot it…Never saw it again.

9 Likes