M*CARBO Brotherhood

What's your favorite lube (for your gun)?

I know some guys that swear by 20w-50 motor oil for running their ARs, Some of us use a combination of grease and oil. I’m trying something different on my 1911s and AR. I’m coating all the obvious wear points with dry Molybdenum Disulfide spray. I know Moly is a great lubricant used in machines and a million years ago when I used to race motorcycles we used to add it to the oil. You could literally see your RPMs rise on the tach. from the reduced friction while idling.
My reasoning for using the Moly is: 1) being dry it’s less likely to attract dirt, and 2) It bonds to the metal and is less likely to be swept away by movement.
I’m curious if anyone else has any experience with it.

5 Likes

Oh yeah. Moly-kote from Dow is good stuff. Use it at work and at home. I also use a thin coating of AMS high temp red grease on my AK guts.

2 Likes

The 20w-50 would work great in my Harley, not so confident with it in my firearms. I use Hornady One Shot. It is a dry lube and cleaner. I use it on rifles, pistols and even magazines.

3 Likes

Back in the day Kal-Gard was the good stuff. :motorcycle:

2 Likes

I have good results with this on all handguns and rifles. Used sparingly, stays where you put it.

7 Likes

Lucas is good, I’ve used it before. I’ve been using Ballistol for pistol for years and still like it. My bolts have been getting cleaned with Hoppes #9 or Butch’s bore shine followed up with Ballistol for lube.
I’m fairly new to ARs but they seem to get pretty dirty and build up carbon on the bolt pretty quick so I thought I’d try a dry lube.

2 Likes

We used LSA back in the day. Worked, but you needed a liberal dose. The dry lube, let us know your results. Yeah, the direct impingement AR is a dirty rifle. Long pipe cleaners dipped in Hoppe’s #9 for the gas tube. A good chamber brush is a must.

3 Likes

Came free with an order. Anyone try UCWRG stuff yet?

2 Likes

Since watching Resident Evil I try to avoid products from the Umbrella Corporation.

7 Likes

I found a case of this stuff on a job i cleaned out and i tryed it on some fishing reels and it worked great so i tryed it on a couple guns and liked it. So now its about all i use. Its a food grade spray lube made for moving parts in food processing machinery like mixers and grinders and such. It leaves a film behind and takes very little.

3 Likes

Does it say what the active ingredient is? I’m guessing it’s a dry lube.

2 Likes

It’s a form of spray on Teflon (ptfe) dry lube. My dad used it use it as a cable glide on low voltage systems. It’s really for food processing equipment.

FYI

It’s kosher

3 Likes

The moly spray is really for heavy industrial machinery and is made to with stand high pressures and 650 degree temps. I’m not sure about Teflon on semi-auto guns, Let us know if you’re using it on the high wear parts and how it’s working out.
With an AR you can pull the bolt and the only really high wear areas seem to be the rails and the bolt retention lug that the firing pin threads through.
Most semi autos, the wear areas are pretty obvious too when you take it apart to clean it. I’m curious to see how it holds up. My buddy had a can of Remington Teflon dry lube and he chucked it. He claimed it gummed up his shotgun in cold weather.

3 Likes

That’s what I use the moly for. Lining the interlock on a cold isostatic press I operate at 25000 psi. I use internally on the bcg and a good spray down the buffer tube which seems to take out some the tang noise.

2 Likes

Here it is from the mouth of a builder I respect.

I have lots of bottles floating 'round … Lucas, Wilson Combat Ultimalube, Mobil 1, Eezox, and Balistol are the ones I can think of here and now. I even have a tube of grease I’ve never brought myself to apply to a firearm.

3 Likes

I did the same thing with the buffer! It seems to work. I dipped all my small springs in Owlsht grease and the take down pins. Sprayed the moly into the cap and used a modeling brush to put several coats on after letting each dry for the bolt rails and the trigger group.

2 Likes

He makes some good points but I’m not sure I agree with everything he said. The race car analogy, Those engines are constantly torn down and maintained so I don’t know if you can say that oil is giving long term protection and if I’m storing a gun I grease the innards and wax the outside. Like I said at the beginning of the thread, I know military and law enforcement people that run synthetic 20w-50 (some in full auto weapons) so I get where he’s going with the motor oil.
In the end it’s what ever “floats your boat”. I originally bought the moly spray to coat some bullets for .22TCM and 5.7x28mm and see if it made a difference firing them through a chronograph. It made a small one but not enough to care about. I’d like to try it on long range ammo. like .308, 6.5, and .25-06 and see if there’s a difference. but in the mean time I’m going to try it on slides and wear surfaces.
I’m also a Cancer survivor so maybe that’s why I like Ballistol. It’s the only non- Carcinogenic gun lube that I know of.

3 Likes

Break Free Powder Blast for stripping lubricants when cleaning. Break Free CLP for cleaning, Break Free CLP or Unicorn Lube for any oily bits, Super Lube for slide/frame rails and barrel hoods (TW25B as a backup).

2 Likes

I tried the old Dry-Slide moly lube years ago in my Colt H-Bar and had troubles with the gun jamming and not cycling. The addition of some oil, cannot remember what kind at the time solved the problem. Since then I have basically used one of the Mobil 1 synthetics, It holds up well and makes the receiver & bolt group easy to clean. I attribute that to the presence of detergents in the oil. I got some Hornandy one shot cleaner lube, a dry cleaner lube which is recommended for the Ruger 10-22 which has the same problem of the receiver getting dirty and am going to try it in my AR 15.

4 Likes

Mobile 1 synthetic motor oil for my AR.

2 Likes