M*CARBO Brotherhood

What's the worst piece of junk you ever bought?

Not the worst, maybe, but the biggest surprise. Ruger? Bad 10/22? A few years ago, I bought one from Walmart as they had a good holiday price. The one they brought out of the case had a bad finish on the wood - uneven sealer. The guy went in the back, brought one out in a box - and the same problem. He went back, and got another one in a box. The finish was good. I took it home, and then noticed the front of the stock was raw-edged, and not “rounded” off. As in, the front of the forend was not routered or sanded round or whatever. Just a sharp, rough edge (but it was stained). I couldn’t take it back, so I called Ruger. I explained the problem, and the guy said he’d send another stock (and I’d have to send the bad one back on my dime). I was BSing while he was doing some computer stuff, and made a (funny) comment (I thought) about it wasn’t like Ruger made 10/22s in a specific way for Walmart - and he said No, they did! Say what? So lesser quality 10/22s are a good idea for Ruger and Walmart? Also, there was some kind of different finish on the metal - the script was sort of filled in instead of being crisp. Anyway, I got the replacement stock - it had a bad finish. And no, I did not send a stock back. I did sell the thing to our club youth group - the woman running it didn’t care that the finish was messed up, and I had gotten a great price.

The next thing I bought from Ruger? An American in .22WMR, that wouldn’t work out of the box - but that story’s another post…

7 Likes

I think bad batches and such is alot more common these days because of everything being so stamped out mass produced. Where all guns used to have a final fit and finish by someones hands now they get close enough to spec with machines and most cases dont do no hand finish work to get that great fitment and look like the older versions had. I talk to people all the time who follow the trends so to speak like with the glocks everybody had to have one because military and police was using them. Now the glock guys has switched to sig for same reason. I allways enjoy telling these guys that the military and police dont contract out to the best firearm. They contract out to the best firearms within there budget with allowances for some profit to be made im sure. PS im not tryin offend the glock or sig crowd they have both proven to be reliable firearms. I just mean if you buy it cause thats what government carries cause you think that means its best available option then its poor way of deciding whats right for you.

7 Likes

Most Glock owners switched because the LCI was hard to read. With a Sig it’s much easier to determine if the chamber is loaded… just drop it.

9 Likes

I was buying Sig when those guys were buying Glocks.
Now I just buy Taurus. LOL

9 Likes

Used to be a story around about Walmart forcing manufacturers to sell to them very low.
This forced the manufacturers to make cheaper versions of products for Walmart to sell.

7 Likes

They actually bankrupted Rubbermaid doing that chit.

8 Likes

Okay. in the interest of fairness, Monty was true to his word,and sent a new one today, ran 50 charges through it and it was dead on on every charge!

6 Likes

I had a friend that was a government contractor in the sand pile over seas. He was a big believer in Sig over Glock. I’m still a 1911 guy. I’m building one right now that’s probably going to cost me more than any hand gun I’ve ever owned but it will be a “one off”. I know Taurus has gotten better but Sig.s and Blocks are proven. I’d own a Block but I can’t get past the looks!

5 Likes

This was a joke. I do buy a lot of Taurus and I’m a fan.
But I still buy Sig and 1911s as well. No Glocks though.
For this same reason, I guess.

3 Likes

I have a couple Sigs, no Glocks and still haven’t bought any Taurus. My friend’s son just bought a Raging Hunter in .44 mag. and I have to admit that it’s a nice pistol. My S&W 29 is a LOT heavier and I’m impressed with the accuracy. I’m getting to old to lug .44 with a 7" barrel though and my 1911 10mm works just fine.

3 Likes

I don’t buy them for the looks. I buy them because everytime I pull the trigger back it goes bang. In my case for over 30 years with ZERO failures. I was issued a Glock for the first time in the Middle-East in the late 1980’s. Once you develop that bond, trust, and familiarity with a weapon why change? Because of looks? Not gonna happen for me.

Look at most KelTec products… they are not designed to look pretty, they are designed for function. As a matter of fact they regularly appear on “Ugly Gun” memes. That doesn’t change the fact that I would gladly own most of them.

So… tell me… why is your pistol (1) of higher quality (2) more reliable (3) prettier than my Glocks? And most importantly, (4) did you ever use it to save your life, or your buddies ass?

These are the most prized and beautiful possessions I have…

But… haters will hate. Facts can never stop that.

Convince me I’m wrong here.

9 Likes

@TexasEskimo I have several pistols,WC CQB,Walther P38,PDPand Glocks.My favorite shooter is my G43X.

3 Likes

Absolutely fine choices! :+1:

2 Likes

The first truck I drove for a living was a ‘72 R model with a 235 Mack and duplex tranny.

3 Likes

@TexasEskimo Oh I forgot my Sub 2K “pistol” and of course 1873 replica in 45 Colt.My G17 setup is with TLR 8 AG

1 Like

“Prove to me I’m wrong”

Like I said Glocks are proven. The only time they suffer is if you fire lead through them. The polygonal rifleing doesn’t like it. I’ll also be the first to admit that I have worn out parts on 1911s after 40+ years of shooting them.
I’ve also had a couple that had to break in ( never really understood that)
It appears that Glock is slowly coming around in the looks department and if I don’t die of old age first, I’ll probably own one… …when it doesn’t look like a Block! Lol

4 Likes

Got you - put if I were Ruger I wouldn’t go for that. They have a rep to protect. Can’t believe they’d want their product in Walmart so bad that they would build intentionally bad merch.

4 Likes

It’s too bad that you have bad experiences with Taurus, I have a Raging Bull in 454, a Pt 99 AF, a 44 mag Hunter and a PT 111 in 45 ACP, the only one I had any trouble with was the PT 111, Taurus took care of the issue right away.

6 Likes

It’s the hoops one must jump thru in order to do any biz with Wally World. The place has done nothing but go downhill ever since Sam Walton died, his greedy kids took over and especially after they let cankles clinton on the board. After all that is when they began buying everything made in china…

4 Likes

1973 AMC Gremlin

8 Likes