M*CARBO Brotherhood

What's the worst piece of junk you ever bought?

I could write volumes on this topic (they don’t call me Grumpy for nothing) but I figure I’ll give everybody a place to vent!
I’ll start it off, Midway had a sale on the Frankford Armory platinum Intellidropper powder drop/scale. Some of the cartridges I reload involve critical, even dangerously tight spec.s and require being done one at a time on a single stage press with individually weighed charges. I’m always looking for a way to work smarter and through the years I’ve found some good and some not so good ways to do that. It seemed like a great idea to have an automatic powder drop that I could verify with another scale (until I knew I could trust it), These things usually run from $250 up so When I saw the Frankford on sale for $169 it seemed like a good buy.
I got the scale yesterday and set it up in my reloading room per their instructions, making sure there wasn’t any thing to interfere with it. You have to let it “settle” for 15 minutes before use so i let it set after levelling it for a good 20. the first thing that bothered me is that it kept jumping from zero to +/- .25 . I kept re-zeroing it then leaving it alone. Next up they have a program that runs to see how fast it can drop a charge accurately. I guess it never found it! One out of 10 or so charges were close and when you put it on auto it’s supposed to drop a charge every time you replace the pan which it does …once or twice depending on it’s mood. When you put it in manual it decides when it’s going to drop a charge whether you want it or not.
Okay, I’ve dealt with Midway for years and have never had a problem, hell Larry Potterfield is my virtual cousin (not really). Anyway because i backordered this They wouldn’t let me return it!
So I called Frankford Armory and talked to Monty. He couldn’t believe that Midway did that and promised to send me a spankin’ new one as soon as they have some more. I emailed him the serial# and date of manufacture and asked if he was going to send an RMA for me to return this one. He told me they didn’t want it back and I could keep it. I haven’t figured out what I’m going to do with it yet (maybe a 400yd. target). I guess its designed in America and built… you guessed it… in China.
I hope the next ones better or I can get my money back otherwise it’s an expensive target!

13 Likes

MKM machine funnel, drop tube and cartridge adapters (3d printed). Bought from them directly.

Looked good in the pics, reviews were great. Once I got them the finish was lackluster. Massive gaps in the melted filliment, transition in adapters were uneven and lumpy. Emailed them, got a quick response late at night telling me its the best finish they can do without using their 100k+$ machine. Ok whatever, and proceeded to use them on 9mm (far as I got). Loaded 10 charges and some pesky gremlin told me to check the funnel adapter for trapped powder. As soon as I unscrewed it, powder everywhere. :rage::angry:. There goes the 10 charges back into the hopper. Checked one charge, carefully unscrewed the adapter over a powder pan, poof more powder, toss it on 2 different scales to confirm. A whopping .7 grains! :astonished:, repeat again, same .7grn. Try 5.56 for ships and giggles, again .7grn. (Cfe pistol and cfe223, both flattened ball powder)

The powder was getting stuck in the adapters threads.

Emailed back, they responded quickly and proceeded to tell me they never heard of this problem or no one said anything. They said they will redesign the adapters and drop tube to fix issue. 2 weeks pass and nothing, so I check in. Next response, were working on it. 3 weeks later, I follow up again. Tells me they have had heavy rain (no flooding) and its slowing them down. Wait a week, follow up by finally telling them I had to buy a different funnel set, and will be returning for a refund, the guy says absolutley we can do that. Send package back to them, they get it sat afternoon. No response and no refund. Emailed them today to say WTF politely. Biggest waste of money on reloading I have spent to date.

Yes there is a plethora of other things I regretted buying but I won’t go into those ones lol.

On a positive note, I really like their powder pan, only thing I didn’t return lol.

8 Likes

Taurus 1911. JUNK.

I knew better but I did it anyway.

8 Likes

Back in the late 70’s I bought a S&W semi auto pistol, model 39 and what a hunk of junk. No matter what I tried to shoot it would have FTF or stove piped the fired round. Sold it and bought a Ruger Black Hawk in 45 long Colt love that round

6 Likes

Easy question… a CAA MCK for my Glock. The cheap plastic charging handles strips after a few magazines. I have gone through 3 new charging handles sent to me by CAA and they all strip out. My recent attempts to get a refund or new charging handle have gone unanswered. CAA has ghosted my emails and calls. I have another plan underway that will legally force them to answer.
Had I checked other reviews online I would have seen this issues with this “toy”.
It is DANGEROUS… several times my firearm got jammed into into the CAA MCK requiring tools and effort to remove it. Once the firearm still had a round chambered!!!
One other thing… after every use of this POS you will have to clean your firearm. It makes it completely filthy after even just a few rounds.

Dear CAA USA: I promise you have not heard the last of this.

11 Likes

Please elaborate. I have one and it is a very nice 1911 for the price.
Others I’ve handled in gun stores all look and felt great.

9 Likes

If you are talking about a Taurus 1911, or a Taurus anything you are talking about JUNK.

I don’t recall anymore, I got rid of it as soon as I fixed it but springs popped out while I was shooting it. And it looked like Ray Charles did the finish work on it.

3 Likes

wedding rings for first and second ex wives. I woulda been a lot better off if i had spent that money on hookers and blow, or more guns.
crap now that i mentioned them i will hear from one of em. demons are often summoned by the sound of their name…

25 Likes

seen that on those serrations for a while. plastic locking into steel aint going to last. special with force applied.

9 Likes

Lol, I vowed after the first one that I wouldn’t get married again until I was too old to have sex. and that’s just so I’d have someone to. argue with!
I’m not there yet but they are getting harder to catch!

11 Likes

I second that one. Same here. As the saying goes, I spent all my money on women and booze, the rest I wasted. (except I spent far to much on far to few)
Second place goes to a 9mm hi-point pistol. They had been in business for a short while when I bought it. I fought with it and finally got it to go bang when you pull the trigger and that is all I will say about it. I mean you can use it for in house protection, but much beyond 15-20 ft you are going to get some wing shots or just scare them. Certainly not a carry weapon or something I would risk taking a head shot on. It is a center mass at 5 yarder. But it was dirt cheap, so what do you expect?? Still had more value then my ex’s.

7 Likes

1972 Ford F 150 4 X 4. Weak front axle, only year that axle was used. No hi/low transfer case. 390 c.i. got worse mileage (with a 2bbl) than my hot rod '67 Chevelle with a nicely built 350. Take it off road and the mileage went down, like single digits down. Small gas tank equals no range. Geared too tall for serious off road.

11 Likes

Well Said ! word for word I could not Agree More’ The ‘‘I Love You Long Time’’ did not Mean :poop:! :rofl:

9 Likes

2002 Ford Exploder. Absolutely the worst vehicle I have ever owned and I own a 2003 BMW X5. Motor started ticking, air vent motor went out twice, transmission slipping. I had to baby it to get 175k out of it. I was told to change the timing chain, the entire engine would need to be removed to get to it. I just endured the ticking until the transmission went out.

8 Likes

Yes, been there, bought that.
One good thing is the tailgate also worked as canopy if raining or to get some shade.
Also enjoyed the SUV because of the cargo room.
Other than that, I remember putting a lot of money into keeping it rolling. I added a quality engine treatment and that prolonged the inevitable.
Sometimes you just get DUD. :roll_eyes:
Cheers,

8 Likes

This 2011 BMW 750 LI. It drives beautifully, has only 75,000 miles but requires premium fuel for the turbos and costs a fortune when anything breaks. I bought it a year ago for $10,000 but think the woman who ran a red light this Tuesday may have done me a favor - assuming it is totaled. Given the cost of repairs and the deployment of three airbags, I am pretty sure it is a total loss. Now I get to fight with her insurer on a fair ACV for the vehicle. Fortunately nobody was seriously injured and I just have a slightly sore neck and a chipped tooth.

13 Likes

@JoeFridaySays Brian, I am glad you were not seriously injured. I would agree that it is totaled. I have a 2003 BMW X5 3.0 that drives like a dream, but fortunately, I have been able to do the repairs myself.

11 Likes

A strong runner up would be the 16gl Ridgid wet/dry shop vac. Blew the motor fuse 2.5 years old. You have to dis-assemble the motor to get to the windings to replace said fuse. (yeah, I did it twice) Limited “Life Time Warrantee” says you have to ship the entire product back, and even then they may decide it was “Normal wear and tear”.

14 Likes

tt was a Lorcin; I knew it was crap. Spent $75 just to march stupid down the runway. I noticed my much missed right pinky was still with me for this adventure :fist:t5:.

11 Likes

My oldest son is into older BMW’s. Not sure if by choice or just because he can’t move up in them. He had (don’t know if he still does) an old Datsun 280z he was working on as well.
He did not get that from me, I am more of a Detroit, Milwaukee built older iron. Although I did have a Triumph very much like the one on officer and a gentlemen for a long time, but it came time to let it go here 4 years ago or so.

Edit, oh and why I actually responded to your post. LOL What does fuel grade have to do with spinning a turbo? I never heard of such a thing.

7 Likes