M*CARBO Brotherhood

What's the best investment you ever made?

Now that we all have a topic we can complain on, I figure it’s only fair to try something a little more positive.

9 Likes

I have 8 things that turned out to be the best investments for me. In no real particular order.

1. Razorback fiberglass shovel. Yes a shovel. I have damn near dug all the garden/yard stuff with it. Now it’s finally paying off over the last 1.5 years. We buy ZERO produce now.

2. All my automotive tools. Well tools make me money, those tools let me do side jobs so yeah a great investment. No I don’t know how much $ in tools I have.

3. 4runner. Yeah he’s old, 21 years old. 260k miles, runs like a champ. Takes me where ever I want and then some. We’ve got a good bond, even greater memories. Should have done this 15+ years sooner.

4. Project Appleseed. Rifleman training and American history lessons. I hate red coats, and you should too! Taught me the basics, sling use, body positions. Who’d a figured under 150 bucks (not including ammo cost) could help someone improve so much. Go out and take one please!

5. A tie, fire arms and chickens. Protection from tyrants, y’all know the rest. Chickens, I don’t buy a single egg anymore and can sell leftovers, also chicken meat when the time comes.

6. Garden skills. Pretty self explanatory. I’m still no expert by any means, but give a man a fish and he eats one day, teach a man to fish and he eats a lifetime or how ever it goes.

7. Books: refrence, how too, medical, survival and what not. Books last damn near forever, been a long time collecting new and old refrence books. But they are great.

8. Training: shooting, first aid, HAM radio, gardening/homesteading, to name a few. It’s a investment that can be shared with who ever you decide. Knolege can be traded for anything.

Im sure I’m missing some but I didn’t want to make this list any longer then this.

11 Likes

Maximilian.

Or as I like to call him, Mad Max. Total impulse buy/rescue because the Granddaughter was with us at the Pets Smart. I’m thinking the day after, what the heck did we just do. But he’s been a fantastic dog. Never really destroyed anything (one old slipper). He listens good (until he gets too excited, but that’s part of his charm). And the two of us have bonded like no one else in the family. Every body knows, he is MY dog. Lol

18 Likes

The time I spent with my parents when they were alive.

18 Likes

MY Wife, good investment that’s lasted more 53 plus years :wink:
Larry

17 Likes

My coin and bullion collection.
There was a time about 10 years ago when my wife’s (just my gf at the time) car died and we weren’t making much money yet. Dropped the transmission and at nearly $3k to replace, she damn near had a breakdown. Told her relax, I’ll be back in a hour.
Got back home, grabbed her and brought to the used car lot. When I told her I sold some of my holdings and she had $5k to spend, she broke down again. Grabbed an Acura MDX that an ex-marine owned and only used it to shuttle himself back and forth from home to his west coast station.
She used to laugh and roll her eyes at me when I would buy a coin or bar, now she just smiles and tells me to put them away!
Not only has the investment helped us, it’s a good nest egg for my son when he gets older and truly understands the value of what I will be giving him.

17 Likes

I thought #1 was going to be the CAT FOOD COMPANY!! you own? :man_shrugging::scream::cat::sunglasses:

8 Likes

Reloading equipment.

12 Likes

Wish I owned a cat food company. Then I wouldn’t have to worry about ever feeding my cats lol.

Reloading equipment is also very good, so I’ll second @Festus and to add stacking silver/gold like @Thatoneguy does, physical only of course lol.

11 Likes

My wife. Neither one of us had been in a relationship longer than 3 years. I was married once before and she had been married 3 times. We met through an adult online “dating” service in August 2001 and then I moved from St Louis to Indiana 6 weeks later to be with her. We’ve been together ever since.

13 Likes

The new Honda CR-V EX-L I bought last week and a Taurus TX22. The Taurus is the least expensive gun I own and I’m a brand snob but…

9 Likes

My old Browning A-bolt 7mm magnum. I’ve had it through a succession of other guns and it’s killed more deer than I can remember.

6 Likes

Best investment is spending time with the next generation of gun lovin kids!

My yard is the neighborhood meeting zone for nerf wars.

13 Likes

I recommend the Rival series that shoot the balls. Best accuracy of of the bunch. Just be sure to get the upgraded battery!

5 Likes

First, my wife as she saved me from a life of loneliness

Then, my 2 kids. Both great adults and cannot be more proud of them

My house and home. Been here 30 years and while it is showing its age, it is still my pride and joy.

Last. the years I spent as a US Marine. I went from a wandering kid to a man who was responsible for the lives of others and it taught me not only perseverance but also management techniques that have helped me in my profession.

13 Likes

That is cool.
I have never really felt “at home”. I built a new house and it did not feel like home. This place is close, but several years ago I realized that everything and everyone are just loaned to us. People and things come and go. Nothing stays the same and so I just figure it all matters and at the same time none of it matters. All you can do is appreciate the people and things while you or they or it is here.

12 Likes

Renting not buying is best for me.
My best is being able to move. Is that in investment? Depends on how you look at it.
Beretta 92fs is the best investment so far. You cant take it with you.

10 Likes

I live off grid, have an outhouse. I met my girlfriend about 5 years ago. She came over and never left. I bought a Natures Head composting toilet, that was by far the best investment that I’ve ever made.

9 Likes

My desktop computer. I built it 10+ years ago (upgraded along the way) and it’s still going strong. It’s saved me many thousands of dollars by never having a cable/satellite bill again via the way I “acquire” content. And, I use it almost every day to make great at-home money trading stocks and options over those last 10+ years. Then there’s the ton of other utility, fun playing games, etc. What a wonderful, solid machine. It’s easily paid for itself many thousands of times over. :+1:

10 Likes

I built my desktop in 2000, and seems i can get about 10 yrs before $300 overhaul is needed. Im on my 2nd round of processor, motherboard, RAM just finished and hopefully good til 2030 !
The last upgrade ran windows 10, but games were laggy, so was time to move forward.

Best part about these new Motherboards is the onboard NVME drives! Ultra fast 1 Tb for $100 cant be beat .

8 Likes