What was your first gun and how old were you?

I had the Stevens version of the same rifle.(Model 15) I cost my Pop $10.00 used but was in great shape. I still have it. I murderer so many grouping squirrels with it on several occasions, that my thumb would get a blister from cocking it.

12 Likes

Marlin Model 60 and I was 13 years old that was my first firearm but my first gun would have been a Crossman 760 bb/pellet rifle and I was 10 years old when I got that one.

11 Likes

The Crossman 760 was my first gun at age too and the Marlin Model 60 was my first firearm!

9 Likes

Winchester Model 62A 22 pump action rifle. Bought from a friend for $20 when I was 16. Wish I still had it. Was a lot of inexpensive fun.

11 Likes

All three of us brothers started in the shotgun world was a 7 shot tubular feed 410 bolt action. It was our intro to pheasant hunting and was great at clearing squirrel nests along the Big Sioux river.

12 Likes

My first was a Savage Anschutz model 184 Sporter in 1972 when I was 12. Dad really outkicked his coverage since we weren’t really a firearm or hunting family unit. I have the receipt, paid $125, which was A Lot of money in the day. Has a trigger that breaks like a glass rod and a crack report like no other .22LR I’ve ever heard. Shoots much better than I can so if I miss, it’s on me.
Gave it too my daughter for her 12th birthday, it will make it to one of the grand kids on their 12th I’m sure. I have 2 more Annie’s to cover the other grand kids when the time comes if they are so inclined.

13 Likes

Hi Mabry and welcome to the farm! Great family tradition.

8 Likes

Lived in Montrose and Olathe and picked my wife up hitchhiking between Junction.and Ouray 10/1/77 and married her in 80. She was spending summers working in Ouray where she had hitchhiked from Rochester NY. Spent plenty of time around that old mining community. Loved the hot springs penned off of the river, Camp bird Yankee boy basin, Imogene pass etc.

9 Likes

I was born in Cripple Creek, 1945, Then the family moved to Ouray and the Camp Bird mine, where we lived until the lease ran out, about 1955 or so. Then we moved to town, actually 3 miles north to the house on Dexter creek. All of the family has passed away or moved on. My cousin, more brother than cousin, and his wife still have a house in Ouray, just above Dexter Creek. I ended in Michigan and got into SCUBA diving and the Navy taught me deep sea diving and I have been doing both until 8 years ago.

13 Likes

Only had some BB guns (pump and CO2) when younger. First real wasn’t until 50 but trying to make up for lost time best I can in a state like NY

But first was a Stevens 12ga

11 Likes

Up on Cripple Creek she sends me
If I spring a leak she mends me
I don’t have to speak, she defends me
A drunkard’s dream if I ever did see one

10 Likes

Loved Tomahawk and the surrounding area, snowmobile trips in the late 70s. Unbelievable hospitality

7 Likes

Had my first gun out today along with few others giving them a good cleaning. Figured it would be good time for a few pics for first gun thread. Its a winchester 1300 pump 12ga. 28" factory barrel that has been back bored just barely to help with pattern. Along with 2" .640 super full custom choke tube. And i just added the adjustable rifle sights to the rib last year. Its fixed up for the turkey/card shoots. And not to brag but i have yet to go to a shoot with my 1300 and not bring home something to eat or a few extra bucks. I was 14 when i got her. I worked construction and primed tobacco and saved my money. Of course my aunt had to make the purchase but i paid for it.

13 Likes

I’ve read over this thread for awhile now every now and then, but this is my first actual post. I thought the thread was cool and wanted to show off a very cool little gun. To answer the OP my first rifle was a Browning T-bolt 22LR. I got it when I was about 10 and still have it today. My 7 year old son however, is very fortunate. His rifle is a Ruger 10/22 Charger, yes, it’s a Charger and yes, it’s a rifle. It’s good to be an 07FFL/SOT with a buddy with owns a CNC machine, We machined a grip much smaller for his tiny hands and then machined little short butt stock for it. It’s gone through several changes since these pics were taken, but very close. It now has a Kidd 6" barrel, MCarbo trigger springs, and an AAC Halcyon Suppressor on it. It runs great and is very accurate. I have a Volquartsen trigger waiting for it when he’s ready. The second pic with the bi-pod was his first time shooting it. He can now hold it and he shoots steel challenge with it.

11 Likes

17 Likes

That is beyond cool :+1: Nice job!!

Larry :innocent:

10 Likes

Welcome @Raptor357R to the forum

9 Likes

@Raptor357R
Welcome, that really is beyond cool.
Nicely done! :+1:

8 Likes