What was your first gun and how old were you?

Don’t a lot of the tanks get painted there?

6 Likes

And every one of them since then… and, that’s okay by me.

12 Likes

They actually had 2 plants there, one in town and one on the edge of town where they made all the fiberglass bags, fairings and sidecars. They used to open them up every year for tours during the fall “Colorama” rally.

7 Likes

I’ve only been through Tomahawk a handful of times, but last time I was there I went by the plant in town. It was the weekend and it looked closed

6 Likes

Great area. My nephew has a cottage on Zielke Lake, next to Gordan Lake, where we do our annual fishing trip. Also fish Butternut Lake a lot.

8 Likes

They didn’t all get away, but I did throw a lot back.

9 Likes

My first firearm was a 12 ga. Long Tom made by crescent arms, when I was 14 yrs. old. 36" barrel and kicked like a mule.

13 Likes

Interesting thread. My first one was an M-1 Garand made in 1942 by General Motors. Funny how one remembers specific hi-points. I was allowed all the free ammo I wanted, and used it regularly at Fort Jackson South Carolina (B-3-1 on Tank Hill). My second one was a Browning Automatic - 19.6 pounds - with no mag no bipod. I was “allowed” to carry that one up and down every mountain-side (several times each) in Hawaii with the 25th Infantry Division (Quad D). Oh yeah, the other question: I was an 18 year old draftee during the “Berlin Wall Crisis.”

18 Likes

Stevens Crack Shot, single shot, lever action .22 shorts or longs.
Birthday present from my grandparents when I was 10 years old; (75 years ago). I could only use it on their farm every summer until I was out of high school, then my brother started shooting it… and the gun got lost in an inheritance battle with a bitch sister, who probably still has it in her basement but not speaking to any of us for nearly 40 years. (she also has my old Lionel trains out of spite) …
My advice to you who are parents and grandparents… do not do this to your kids. It overcomes any and all good remembrances your kids may have of the good times they had with you … they wonder “what could they have been thinking” My advice to parents and grandparents is: This isn’t the “share and share alike” era like the 2nd world war… Make sure EVERYONE knows you gave a personal gift to a son/daughter/grandson/.granddaughter,neice/nephew what thehellother … If you are scared of one of them., have the damn thing engraved with a name on it. I do not think ill of my grandmother 75 years ago and she probably could not have imagined how the world and people would change in less than a generation. But it did. and sibling rivalry (greed) became a fact rather than a taboo.
I am sorry if this seems like I am far too negative or paranoid but I live in Texas where we see family fights nearly every month over stakes far higher than a simple lever action .22 rifle. Our world is different, our kids are different, sibling rivalry is has not changed, the payoff is far different.

12 Likes

Age 13, I had gotten a job as a busboy in a restaurant and had saved up some cash. Back then most all the men in the family were big into quail hunting at the time (circa 1971). A place called Oshman’s sporting goods in a mall had a sale going so my father and I went to look at Remington 1100’s. After looking over a couple I thought they were a bit heavy and they also had some Beretta AL-2’s where were about a half pound lighter and $20-25 cheaper. Pop bought the 1100 and I bought the Beretta. Still got it and Pop has now bequeathed the 1100 to me.

17 Likes

Browning BL22 lever action around age 11. My son then used it and it now sits in my safe until my 5 year old grandson is ready for it.

17 Likes

Savage single shot 22 at 12 for $15 followed by my Mossberg 500 at 13 both bought with lawn mowing and snow shoveling money in NW Iowa
Followed by plenty of squirrel hunting and a lot of pheasant hunting especially Thanksgiving morning so Mom and Grandma could cook uninhibited. That old 22 got many a pheasant in CO as well. I remember a night stopping and shooting a snowshoe hair at 60-70 yards ( white on white snow at night ) with that one shot… His partner eluded my next 4 shots. Lucky first shot?
That 500 also got many a pheasant and duck in Colorado. Nothing in the world like a blizzard and kicking up 30-40 huddled pheasants to get the blood pumping outpacing the shotguns pump.

13 Likes

Daisy pump BB rifle at 7 then a Stevens Crackshot 22 at 8. Dispatched a million cans, bottles, milkweed pods, & glass insulators as well as many rabbits & squirrels with that little rifle. Graduated at age 12 to a Mosin Nagant Finnish model 27 and an Ithaca Model 66 12 ga single shot.

14 Likes

Believe it or not, my first gun was a S&W 617 (10-shot .22LR) which I purchased just a little over a year ago at the age of 72. I was told that it would be a good gun for “learning the basics”. It served me well, but I recently sold it and now own about a dozen handguns and 3 long guns.

18 Likes

A-9-2 somewhere in that hotter than hell hole. One of the first companies to be issued M-16s. Loved putting it on auto and cutting down small trees.

13 Likes

Holy Sh$$
Outstanding story.
I wasn’t going to respond to this OP’s question until yours showed up.lol

I was 17 and it was a M-14. Dang thing like to beat me to death :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Larry :innocent:

PS I did get a BB gun one Christmas, shot my sister with a match stick and Dad broke it in Half :frowning_face: That was the end of that.

13 Likes

Mossberg .22 rimfire. I don’t remember the model but I mounted an old Weaver J4 3/4 tube scope on it. I was 14 and hunted every day that first summer with it!

13 Likes

Summer 1972… dad gave me a single shot .410. I don’t remember the brand and someone in the neighborhood stole it out of my garage a couple years later. We didn’t even lock our doors back then.

13 Likes

Excellent Advice.

Larry :innocent:

9 Likes

My first gun was a Remington 22 and I was 8 years old, 1953 I believe.
Born CO, and raised in Ouray, CO’s mining country and a mining family we had guns and access to guns as long as I can remember. By the by I still have that first 22 rifle.

14 Likes