M*CARBO Brotherhood

What temperatures do weapons tend to become dangerous

I have had a nagging thought that I finally managed to pen into a form of a question.

What temperatures do plastic composite weapons become volatile/dangerous to shoot when it comes to extreme cold (-20 +F)?

An example: My Hi-Point carbine is plastic (not sure of the exact plastic used) and I have seen a composite bow shatter and lacerate a friend in 10 deg. F (and he said he spent just shy of 1000 $ on the SoB). Aside from being more brittle (and a Hi Point PCC), what temperature should a gun not be exposed to?

What damage could be caused by cold weather use?

10 Likes

@AStartledGuy Alaska state patrol are issued Glocks and I’m sure a few have seen some cold temperature extremes. I’m thinking if they’ve encountered any issues it would have been dealt with awhile ago. As far as I know they are still issued Glocks. Of course there are different variables as to the quality and types of polymers a firearm component is made of, I would think that the lubricant would fail before any mechanical malfunction would occur. Also the expansion rate of metal and polymer would be of concern also.

9 Likes

I have shot a lot in the cold the past couple years. Makes for good training. I’ve had no problems with AR’s, FAL’s, HK91’s, Sig P320 X-Five and others out to about 15 below. I generally run my guns with a minimum of lube. Here is a pic of one of my old M95 Steyrs in those temps after shooting a bunch of 80 year old ammo.

10 Likes

All things considered, with modern weapons you’re far more likely to run into a problem with high temps due to ammo cook off. This is even unlikely unless you shoot full auto continuously with a full auto gun that operates from a closed bolt design.

4 Likes

I appreciate the assist on that. I do look forward to spending some time in the snow this year. I have been cooped up in my place for faaar too long.

2 Likes

RATS!!! :rage::rage::rage::rage: Forgot to take snow pics with guns this year!

Maybe @DivaMarie can still take some…
if any of the snow is still on his side of the globe?..:snowflake::snowflake::snowflake::boom::boom::sunglasses:

We didn’t get 6” here in WNC all winter…:face_with_monocle::scream:

4 Likes

all guns that are a form of polymer different mixes for different companies.
Bows on the other hand are usually a lamination of some sort, my 70s darton wheelie 75lb compound, has a fiberglass and wood lamination, my Barnett commando crossbow, has a glass laminated epoxy 220 mag prod. my 50lb primal gear has a resin/glass limbs.

nowhere near the same animal. even with one of the newer bows with carbon fiber limbs.
what kills bows and causes limb failures is being stored in a closet or room in heat, the epoxy starts to break down over time. and has a failure. outside temp unless you left it in a chiller at 40 below for days dont usually cause a failure. compound failures are usually due to cable failure/string failure/lamination failure…
I should upgrade but i do so love that old wheelie darton I have.

4 Likes

Review the Dupont brochure for Zytel. Zytel is the polymer used by Ket-tec, including the Sub 2000.
http://www.engpolymer.co.kr/product/molding_guide/zytel_product_guide_V1.pdf

5 Likes

I don’t have the option to shoot in sub zero temps, but have shot it 120+ temps (desert). Besides dark colors absorbing heat and being hard to hold or get a cheek weld I. Haven’t had any issues. My glock polymer gets a tiny bit softer if left in a hot car. But I try not to leave anything in a hot car.

3 Likes

ya know a 1911 wont do that. Jus sayin :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

6 Likes

Yep, when I go to the desert I bring my 1911 lol. Well both lol.

3 Likes

This temperature

6 Likes