M*CARBO Brotherhood

What Is Your Favorite Rifle Round And Why?

@Dred Fired my friends AR pistol in 300 Blackout using subsonic rounds and I want one. Low noise, low recoil and looks like an SBR.

8 Likes

Green Tip. Killed five deer in five shots. Acts just like a soft point. All shots were lung/heart broadside. 22cal hole in, lungs heart destroyed and fist sized hole on exit side. Doesn’t act like a FMJ at all. I wouldn’t take a shot on a deer over 130m with it as my guns are 14" and lose too much energy beyond that range. Check some of the raw wound footage from the desert wars. I never want to be on the receiving end of LC Green Tip.

3 Likes

@Omnivious federal 243 because thats what my gun likes also my 270

4 Likes

@hunter1916 Me too .270 and 30-30 are my favorite hunting rounds. 30-30 for closer range and the .270 for the reach

5 Likes

@Omnivious (et al)

My favorites are:

.45-70
.30-06
.22 mag

5 Likes

If I were buying a new rifle, it would be 300 blackout.
I don’t hunt.
I have zero experience with the round, but it seems to be one that could fit in at my place.

8 Likes

30-06. That’s my favorite rifle round. 45-70 and 30-30 for lever guns. 410 for everything else.

This may change once I get all the parts to finish my 300 AAC Blackout AR with 10.5 barrel.
Or does that make it a pistol caliber. lol

9 Likes

@YardCrap

My favorite round is one that can be easily obtained and EZ on the body to shoot. My ‘new build’ is compact (folding just under 27",) weighs in just at 5 pounds and 3.03 oz and fires all ammunition made from Remington Thunderbolts to CCI Velocitors with NO hiccups!!! :+1:

6 Likes

Count me with the '06 bunch. Absolutely love to shoot my 03A3. In it’s sporterized life, it harvested many Elk, Deer and Antelope (pronghorn) That said, for most trips to the range it’s my trusty .22lr. Third is .223/5.56.

8 Likes

To expand on my earlier post:

For bolt action rifle, .30-06. Longer range, flexible use.

For lever action (big bore) rifle, .45-70. Higher-end power, capable of taking down any land animal.

For lever action (small bore) rifle, .22 mag. Cheap to shoot, capable of taking down small game as far as I would shoot at it (up to about 100 yards, or so).

8 Likes

My favorite far ahead of my other calibers is any one of my 308 guns.

8 Likes

.308 for its accuracy I shoot full bore competition in Australia up to 1200 metres it is predictable and very manageable recoil.

6 Likes

Recently I’ve sure been liking my 50 Beowulf an awful lot.
And 300 Blk, those are my favorite two to shoot right now.

5 Likes

Lately, it’s been 6.5 Grendel in this little Ruger American Predator. Magpul Hunter stock, Timney trigger,
Anarchy Outdoors bolt shroud, handle and knob. Of course, a Ruger muzzle brake.
The reason I like the 6.5 Grendel is because it’s very accurate between 100 and 500 yards. Sub half MOA
groups are common with little recoil, little powder, and bullet weights between 90 and 130 grains. The
120 and 123 grainers seem to work the best for me.

9 Likes

@Phoenix, I like the 7.62x39 also. Out of my SKS shots are more accurate than a AK-47 and more distance for that reach out and touch someone.

5 Likes

I’m gonna add a new one to my favorites list. In the past I’ve always disliked it, mainly because I was using it in heavy brush and the 30-30 out performed it in brush. It’s the .243. I bought a new one a couple years ago and am really impressed with it as a sendero rifle. Where I’m hunting whitetail now I have open long shots and the .243 has performed flawless. Shooting 95 gr. Hornady SST loaded over 46.2gr VIHT N-165 powder and Federal 210M primers, every deer has dropped in its tracks. All shots were head or neck shots and they never knew what hit them. Dropped in their tracks. Very accurate round.

6 Likes

.22lr. Plinker for life!

7 Likes

@Texprep Hahaha…I can picture the exact smile, I just know you get, every time you shoot it. I loved my 700 BDL .243. It was not only crisp, solid, smooth, and accurate ( looking for the right word or phrase, and failing) but every time (at least with mine ) was an incredible, almost “art-like” experience, unique unto it.
I mainly used mine for coyotes, and those open long shots were awesome. It was sighted dead center at 135 yards with a 3 1/2-9 variable Leopold scope. At 325 yards it was sudden death.
A coyote just trotting along in no hurry, out that far, will almost always stop broadside just for that tiny moment to look at you.

CRACK!!..The solid, no kick pleasure of firing the round itself…The momentary, Hushed and Held Breath… wait…WHACK!!..Dead in the prints they were makin’. The shot, that interval, and the hit almost seemed like poetry to me.

6 Likes

Depends on what I’m shooting at is it a squirrel @ 20 yds.or an elk @ 470 yds, guns are like golf clubs. I don’t think one size fits all. My favorite is the one I have in my hands at that moment !

7 Likes

I’m like dirtsailor, it depends on the situation. My go to caliber is my .308, but I love to plink with my .22 & .22mag rimfires, I varmint hunt with my .22-250. feral hog hunt with my .30-30, and love to long range plink with my U.S. Model of 1917 Eddystone in .30-06 with the open sights.

7 Likes