M*CARBO Brotherhood

What Is Your Favorite Rifle Round And Why?

To expand on my earlier post:

For bolt action rifle, .30-06. Longer range, flexible use.

For lever action (big bore) rifle, .45-70. Higher-end power, capable of taking down any land animal.

For lever action (small bore) rifle, .22 mag. Cheap to shoot, capable of taking down small game as far as I would shoot at it (up to about 100 yards, or so).

8 Likes

My favorite far ahead of my other calibers is any one of my 308 guns.

8 Likes

.308 for its accuracy I shoot full bore competition in Australia up to 1200 metres it is predictable and very manageable recoil.

7 Likes

Recently I’ve sure been liking my 50 Beowulf an awful lot.
And 300 Blk, those are my favorite two to shoot right now.

5 Likes

Lately, it’s been 6.5 Grendel in this little Ruger American Predator. Magpul Hunter stock, Timney trigger,
Anarchy Outdoors bolt shroud, handle and knob. Of course, a Ruger muzzle brake.
The reason I like the 6.5 Grendel is because it’s very accurate between 100 and 500 yards. Sub half MOA
groups are common with little recoil, little powder, and bullet weights between 90 and 130 grains. The
120 and 123 grainers seem to work the best for me.

11 Likes

@Phoenix, I like the 7.62x39 also. Out of my SKS shots are more accurate than a AK-47 and more distance for that reach out and touch someone.

6 Likes

I’m gonna add a new one to my favorites list. In the past I’ve always disliked it, mainly because I was using it in heavy brush and the 30-30 out performed it in brush. It’s the .243. I bought a new one a couple years ago and am really impressed with it as a sendero rifle. Where I’m hunting whitetail now I have open long shots and the .243 has performed flawless. Shooting 95 gr. Hornady SST loaded over 46.2gr VIHT N-165 powder and Federal 210M primers, every deer has dropped in its tracks. All shots were head or neck shots and they never knew what hit them. Dropped in their tracks. Very accurate round.

9 Likes

.22lr. Plinker for life!

8 Likes

@Texprep Hahaha…I can picture the exact smile, I just know you get, every time you shoot it. I loved my 700 BDL .243. It was not only crisp, solid, smooth, and accurate ( looking for the right word or phrase, and failing) but every time (at least with mine ) was an incredible, almost “art-like” experience, unique unto it.
I mainly used mine for coyotes, and those open long shots were awesome. It was sighted dead center at 135 yards with a 3 1/2-9 variable Leopold scope. At 325 yards it was sudden death.
A coyote just trotting along in no hurry, out that far, will almost always stop broadside just for that tiny moment to look at you.

CRACK!!..The solid, no kick pleasure of firing the round itself…The momentary, Hushed and Held Breath… wait…WHACK!!..Dead in the prints they were makin’. The shot, that interval, and the hit almost seemed like poetry to me.

7 Likes

Depends on what I’m shooting at is it a squirrel @ 20 yds.or an elk @ 470 yds, guns are like golf clubs. I don’t think one size fits all. My favorite is the one I have in my hands at that moment !

7 Likes

I’m like dirtsailor, it depends on the situation. My go to caliber is my .308, but I love to plink with my .22 & .22mag rimfires, I varmint hunt with my .22-250. feral hog hunt with my .30-30, and love to long range plink with my U.S. Model of 1917 Eddystone in .30-06 with the open sights.

8 Likes

My favorite centerfire rifle it a 308 BLR. My favorite 22lr is my 39A.

6 Likes

my favorite round is always when someone else is buying :crazy_face: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

9 Likes

My father always liked his 700 BDL in 22 250 For harvesting deer on the fruit farm he grew up on. He did not have to shoot more than 150 yds. All head shots.
Yes indeed !!! My favorite for deer out to open 450yds., head shots only ( I would like to say 100% but i shot a fence post instead of the deer at dusk at 300 yds one night. I had what I thought was a beauty of a throat,jaw shot but after it ran away my crosshairs were actually off to one side of the post, the deer was standing in front of. The fence post was pretty useless after that.)
On everything else, in calm wind, down to squirrels (again head shots only and at long range) 6MM hornady .243 Spitze HPBT 58 gr. Loaded to around 3600 FPS out of the Ruger M77V with Leopold vX3 3.5-10, and now the VORTEX Viper PST 4-16x50 EBR scope.

On windy daze, The .270win out of Ruger M77 is a sure pleaser !

For short range < 100 yds the savage A22 with The old Leopold 3.5x10 pushing the CCI A22 ammo, head shots only, has worked well.

I do not consider myself a hunter. Just a harvester.

For urban ground hog warfare I like the Sam Yang RECLUSE .357, 81 gr DIABLO with sound attenuater.

3 Likes

Depends on what I am hunting. My favorite for elk is my 340 WTBY mag, Deer its my 257 WTBY and predators its 17 Remington.

I guess if I have to pick one its the Mk V ultralight 257 WTBY Mag its like a lightening strike when it hits. Ive been shooting deer with it coming up on 30 years and its instant dead - bang = DRT.

I do love my lever guns as well. Id say in lever it is my short barreled 44 mag. is my favorite. I do like 45/70 444 35 whelen 375 Win 30-30 Win as well.

Now I think I have a problem i like them all is that bad???

5 Likes

@Toycrusher Welcome aboard, um, don’t see any problem…

6 Likes

@Toycrusher welcome to the forum billy ray

3 Likes

Impossible for me to limit to just one as it depends on the requirements:

Large Game Hunting - 270 Winchester, with a 308 Winchester & 30-06 Springfield as backups.
Centerfire Target - 308 Winchester, but have a new 6.5 Creedmoor to test out.
Military Target Shooting - 30-06 Springfield as used in the M1 Garand.
Varmint Hunting - 204 Ruger, with a 221 Fireball, 222 Remington, & 223 Remington as backups.
Small Critters - 17 Hornet with 22 WMR & 17 HMR as backups.
Target shooting - 22 LR for Benchrest, Off-Hand, Metallic Silhouette, & Practice.

I guess that covers the “rifle” requirements list and one of the reasons I have several rifles. :grinning:

5 Likes

My deer rifle is a BLR in 308. I use a Marlin 39a for squirrels and my Mark 3 for other pest

5 Likes

Gotta say my most shot rifle round would have to be 7.62x54r. I Have two Mosin Nagants. I restored one and the other was a failed bubba project back when they were cheap and it cant shoot the broad side of the barn. Next most shot rifle round I have is .30-06 out of my dad’s M1

4 Likes