M*CARBO Brotherhood

What Is Your Favorite Rifle Round And Why?

Not trying to get into a caliber war or anything, just trying to see who likes what and why, respect each other’s opinions and we can have some constructive conversations, my personal favorite is the 6.5 CM, it does require a longer barrel for Max output but the overall performance is well balanced IMHO, I don’t hunt but long range shooting is a lot of fun with the 6.5 CM.

1 Like

I’m a pistol caliber carbine sort of dude. But I do shoot - in order of preference - 45/70, .308 and 30-30.

I simply like rounds that deliver that incapacitating, DRT punch. I’ve flirted back and forth with 556/223 but, IMO, it is a varmint round. I understand that, in battle, injuring the enemy has tactical advantage - but I’m not going to war or packing ammo on my back. If I’m firing at something - I want it done.

6.5 Creedmore and Grendel are both very intriguing and I’ll probably add one or both after I have glass suitable for long range targeting. It’s admittedly a low priority 'cause I don’t really have a need to stop anything at those distances - mostly a chance to stretch myself.

8 Likes

@Dred I’m with you, and this is where the SUB2000 has really filled the intermediate gap between handgun and rifle. Every time I consider an AR my head spins with possibilities (really impossibilities cos I really don’t know shit about them) and not sure I want to take that direction in life (and $$$). I don’t hunt, have no need for a long range weapon.

So I guess for the moment 9mm is my favorite rifle cartridge​:boom::boom:

6 Likes

17HMR is probably the most fun and accurate rifle round I’ve shot. My bolt Savage BVSS will stack holes at 100.

5 Likes

17 HMR is a fun round for sure, if they can get the price down to 22 lr prices, I would probably have one. I guess 22 lr is one of my favorites just because of the cost perspective.

2 Likes

Rifle round. I favor 300 BLKOUT. Good weight variety and nice if suppressed. Enough power for me, IMO.

3 Likes

@Cygee,

Thanks for reminding me … I need to pull thru Primary Arms and pick up my $30 stripped lower. It will most likely grow up to be a 300 Blackout host. But … just curious - you really using that much barrel in your 300 bo? I’ll build it up as a pistol just to avoid registering it as a SBR.

And my 45/70 answer is a rifle round answer. I also shoot 9mm, 10mm, 45ACP, 460 Rowland, 22lr and 357 Magnum. 357 Magnum is my hands down favorite. But I get the cost thing too - probably why I have 6 22lr rifles.

2 Likes

@Omnivious I have about 1200 rounds of 17HMR. It’s usally around $11 a box at Walmart. I haven’t needed any in a long time though. I don’t shoot it very often.

2 Likes

I’m in the 5.56 camp. Fun to shoot and will do the job (whatever the job is) when the time comes. Plus not too expensive to shoot. Also a fan of the 9mm as EDC. Enough power and plentiful ammo around.

3 Likes

22 T.C.M by Fred Craig’ For Rock Island 1911 A-2 22 T.C.M/ 9MM

3 Likes

@DivaMarie,

You must be one of the lucky few that got a good barrel on the 22TCM rifle. I’m in for a try as soon as I can get one that drives tacks like my Marlin 880sq. Shot placement matters a lot when on the offensive, or defensive, with 40gr pills.

2 Likes

I think @DivaMarie was talking about a 1911 RIA pistol…

2 Likes

I like 7.62 x 39, and no, I’m not a Russian. I’m an American. :cowboy_hat_face:

It’s dirt cheap, it’s reliable out to any range I need to reach, and it makes a bigger hole than .223. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Yes I was’ And I’m Sure their is a Bucket full of (Defective) Rifle barrels ! that could be had for Cheap for the SK2 conversion.

2 Likes

I think the TCM is definitely an interesting round, basically a miniature 223/556 round to be fired out of pistols, it was my understanding that the cartridge diameter is if not identical, very similar to a 9mm and then necked down to a 22 cal., I’m not sure what the practical use for it would be but it is good to see these companies doing things outside of the box.

1 Like

@Omnivious,

22TCM is an awesome pistol round. It IS a truncated 223 round - the necked down 9mm was an early rumor grown into an untruth that will not die. Basically, Craig wildcatted a 223 round with the purpose of fitting it into a pistol magazine. Tuason saw the merit of Craig’s project, mass produced a pistol that fires it and now shares credit with Craig. I make’m same as 300 Blackout by chopping up 223 brass.

Any pistol with a mag tube that will feed a 45ACP can be converted to run 22TCM. The problem with converting a Sub 2000 will be feeding the round through the magwell. If the Gen 3 brings 45ACP to the Sub 2000 - It’ll be possible. @DivaMarie, I had forgotten you are advocating running the round in a Sub 2000. The 22TCM 9r is the version of the round that’ll feed from a 9mm mag tube, but it is much “less” than the 22TCM. I like 22TCM, but IMO the 9r variant does more harm than good in terms of growing the user base, but the Sub 2000 could run the 9r.

Regarding similarity to 9mm … my first 22TCM came with two extractors - one for 22TCM and a second for 9mm. Current offerings extract both cartridges without extractor swaps. The bases are pretty similar, but they are hand loaded using different shell holders.

And, @KM55 - I know I’m not strictly on topic, but IMO this sidebar is not robust enough to warrant its own thread. I’m also fairly certain that everybody else with an interest was done before I started.

6 Likes

@Dred dang that was a good read! Saluted!

4 Likes

My first deer was a strong 200yd shot with an old 94 30-30. That’s my favorite to still hunt with(you said rifle). Top of the list is 30.06. I’ve never seen the equal to my dad’s 700. I picked up my enjoyment of hunting with 125 gr bullets from him.
I asked him, once, why 125 when ballistics and numbers, “yeah, it’s nice to pick up your gun, set the hairs and let that heavy bullet eat through undergrowth. I just like finding that one shot, the one opening, and threading that needle. Plus, 125 will have a pinky size entrance, but no exit hole. You’ll see what i mean, one day.”
When i put the shot over that branch, through the crook of a tree 30yds later, through a triangle shaped hole in a greenbriar bush 15 yds after that, then 75 yds of over and under various branches to hit the boilermaker exposed in a 6 in gap between two tree trunks… it was like a moment of passage.
And a 125 will really reach out and touch them. Dad’s other .06 is a mauser 1918 he bought back in the 60’s. Kicks like a mule, sounds like a howitzer, and the stock is so old the checkering is worn smooth. Heavy as all get out but it’s all in the barrel and action. Dad was carrying it when i killed my first deer. I was learning how when i came up for air and saw a herd of deer on the far side of the old strip mine. “Deer!” Dad pushed me aside and put the mauser on my deer’s ribs. “Don’t load but watch through your scope, I’m taking the third doe.”
“Dad, that’s far”
“I know, that’s why im having you watch… I’m going to shoot”
It thundered, a moment of nothing… thought i missed where the bullet went when i saw the hair splay and it dropped. He measured the drop by where the horizontal crossed it’s neck and the guy who did his loads said it was just under 500yds, +or-. Still the longest hunting shot I’ve personally witnessed.

6 Likes

.308 Winchester. The can do everything I need to do Cartridge. But I love my odd balls ( 6BR and 223 WSSM).

5 Likes

My vote goes to the 257 Roberts. For me this is about perfect. R S

4 Likes