M*CARBO Brotherhood

What Is Your Favorite Rifle Round And Why?arbine

My favorite rifle is a Ruger semi-auto .44 Mag. Carbine. Excellent brush gun. Small and light. Just about the same size as a Ruger 10/22 on steroids.
When I lived in Texas and hunting deer in the hill country, preferred to use my Remington Model 600 .243. A great flat shooting rifle thats small and light as well. Easy to carry all day long.

7 Likes

I can say I’m a bit of a sucker for carbine length guns, with two PCC’s, two AR-15’s, a Mini-14 and an M1 Carbine fitting the bill for starters. What I can’t say is that I have a particular favorite at the moment (though probably a toss up between M1 Carbine and my Mini-14 if pressed, it’s the action :wink:), but I am nursing a bit of a major semi for a Henry Big Boy Color Case Hardened carbine chambered in .44 Magnum. Seems like a great platform for whoop-a$$ handgun round. Lever gun love.

9 Likes

@chilipepper I really like the 45 Colt.I shoot it my Cimarron 1873 saddle shorty,Henry Big Boy & Cimarron 1873 Colt Pistolero

7 Likes

I just found one of them, same gun as above only in .45LC for a not-too-bad price. Was very tempted.

Gotta love a fat octagon heavy barrel. I like the top eject, reminds me of hunting with my grandfather’s Winchester 1894.

Blued/brass or nickel plated steel? I’m guessing you’re a cowboy action fan.

8 Likes

I’m gonna go with .308 Win. You can pretty much shoot any North American game with it, which is true of most of the newer, sexier cartridges out there too. And it’s also great in the AR platform for maybe non hunting purposes. As are other rounds also. But the availability, especially in the current ammo climate, is what I think puts it over the top for me.

7 Likes

If only it were legal for me to get that M1A Tanker, I’d have to agree with you.

4 Likes

45 Colt /Color case hardened rifle & pistol & of course Henry Big Boy.
@chilipepper

9 Likes

If this is for rifle CARBINE, then oops on me. Not too many 308s in carbine.

6 Likes

The elusive and aforementioned M1A Tanker does and I’m pretty sure I’ve seen some AR-10’s with 16" barrel as well, you’re good. Still a damn good all purpose round.

Tasty!

7 Likes

I looked up that M1 tanker. That’s a damn nice carbine.

8 Likes

You ain’t just $hittin’, brother…lovely piece of kit all wrapped up in walnut goodness. It just looks “right”. But the legislature of the PRoMD thinks it would be bad for me (and anyone else in the commune) to have one. One of those times I wish I was still living in PA. I can buy an M1A in 6.5 Creedmoor, but no.308. Foolishness.

10 Likes

I’ll buck the norm, 6.5 creedmoor. Really love it in large ar platform. Flat, accurate and quite fun.

Runner up would be 5.56, mostly due to I can throw a stick and hit ammo availability anywhere. Weighs less, does a decent job with the distances I need.

7 Likes

Ive said many times that im a big fan of 7.62x39. Its a good all around cartridge for protection or putting food on the table. Its readily available most times and usually one of cheapest rounds you can shoot. Plus its one of most used cartridges by all our enemy countries. So during the event of invasion it would be easy to restock off of the many stupid corpses who thought invading america was a good idea.

12 Likes

Somebody say .44 Magnum?

8 Likes

For the record, I have no issue with 6.5CM, only that I would prefer my short barrelled M14-pattern rifle chamber in .308. :+1:

8 Likes

@CatFood
I too have a 6.5 creedmoor. I love it. Just wondering if your having the same trouble finding ammo? I seem to be able to find all other calibers of ammo but not for the 6.5 creedmoor. When I do find it prices are way above normal. I know all ammo is marked up right now but seems like creedmoor is even higher than expected

5 Likes

I’ll give my vote to the 30-06. Proven game getter for over 100 years. Ammo is available even in the remotest locations and a wide range of bullet choices. Second choice would be the .223/5.56. For the longest time I refused to buy the little plastic fantastic rifle. Thought it lacked power for hunting, now its my most used hunting round. 3 of the 4 deer taken this last hunting season were taken with an AR loaded with homebrewed 55gr. Hornady GMX bullets, they all dropped in their tracks. Add a 30 round mag and night vision or thermal scope and they are downright devestaing on a bunch of hogs.

9 Likes

@Rod It’s not to hard to find ammo, but I’m stuck to buying in store only in kommiefornia. But I also reload 6.5cm. It is quite expensive, as what they get in stock is usually top tier hunting ammo or match grade target loads. Before all this coof b’s I found a 200 round can of 6.5cm 140gn hornady American gunner for 125 bucks. Now if you can find it, it’s over 300 bucks or more.

But again, even reloading for 6.5cm is harder then most. Powders for that caliber sell out in milliseconds, primers I have found quite a bit locally (100$ for 1000). But now bullets are sparse and pricy. Well it also true for everything else reloading wise.

No worries, actually I regret not getting the scout model when I got my m1a platform. Hindsight is 20/20.

4 Likes

I know what you mean. Im in indiana and the only place that seems to have it is dunhams. I usually only use Hornady ammo anyway for target or hunting. I use to get it at 35 bucks a box of 20 for either type. Now it’s at 50 or more when you catch it on the shelves. People sit and wait for them to stock it and snatch it as soon as they open.

4 Likes

I just didn’t want it to sound like I put “stank” on that when I said/typed it. :wink:

Honestly, if I could get that tanker model with the walnut stock in 6.5CM, I might go for one, but they only offer them with the plastic/tactical/precision stocks and 22" barrels.

6 Likes