M*CARBO Brotherhood

What is the fascination with the Kel Tec?

Hey, new reader, friend suggested some springs from this company. Purchased, now reading forum and see alot of talk about a Kel Tec pistol cal carbine. Just curious, whats all the fuss about? Am i missing something?

1 Like

MCARBO is the #1 aftermarket parts manufacturer for the Keltec Sub 2000. The sub 2000 is a collapsible pistol caliber carbine chambered in 9 or 40 and is capable of being folded onto itself and easily thrown in a backpack or what have you. The Sub 2000 alone is generally an unreliable mess but turns into a very capable self defense/range toy/ competition gun once you upgrade it with MCARBO parts. The Sub 2000 is generally inexpensive and very easy to take apart and upgrade without the need of a gunsmith. It’s like the Honda Civic of the gun world. Easy and fun to upgrade. I think that about covers it haha.

8 Likes

Haha I’d say it does. Thanks

2 Likes

What a great question! First time I came across a SUB2000 it tickled me. I was looking at Kel-Tec’s PMR30 and saw the sub, which was already customized, and I’m like “wha…???” What a cool idea: an inexpensive, concealable companion carbine to my Glock 17, utilizing same ammo n mags.

Finally seeing a stock Gen 1 the first time was a bit underwhelming, and although I made half hearted attempts to get one over the years, the Glock version was also illusive. Fast forward 2018, I am now fine stylin’ with a custom non-recall Gen 2, 90% (soon to be 100%!) ‘Powered by MCARBO’, and hangin’ with some hard hittin’, knowledgeable dudes on the topic. Filling my head with big ideas like ‘I CAN DO THIS…!’

It’s pretty good, this little gun has developed a cult of personality of its own with loyal and passionate innovators, a manufacturer who caters to that; and a forum to support it.

6 Likes

Kel-Tec fascination? For me? Absolutely zero after the bum experiences I had with some of their pistols. Now, as for the Gen 2 SUB2000… I’ve always wanted some sort of “take down” 9mm carbine that used the pile of Glock mags I already had. I knew about the Gen 1 and still didn’t want one, but when I saw the much improved Gen 2 and I could actually FIND one at a fair price? SOLD The M*CARBO upgrades make it all that much sweeter, especially with the trigger. Good stuff.

Amazingly, especially for a Kel-Tec, mine was 100% reliable stock out of the box and accurate. I was really torn as to whether or not to send it in for the barrel recall, but I did it anyway for safety knowing I’d never be able to get it out of my mind that it could blow up someday if I didn’t do the recall. Jury’s still out on reliability after getting it back, but it’s also been 100% for the almost 200 test rounds I fired through it earlier this week.

4 Likes

Good information. Like i said in my first post, I’ve never laid hands on a sub2000. Everything I know about it is what I have been told by y’all today. With information like this I’ll soon be an expert. :+1:

3 Likes

@Monty you should check out Chris Nelson’s review of the Sub2000 on the MCARBO website.

https://www.mcarbo.com/kel-tec-sub-2000-review-kel-tec-sub-2000-accessories.aspx

3 Likes

I have two Kel Tec’s. The KSG went back for repairs before the first round was fired but seems okay now. The S2000 has never had a magazine without a failure to eject and after over 2000 rounds of many different manufacturers it needs to go back home for a visit.

I love the Kel Tec designs but the execution is poor in my experience.

@heatermanak

Man, there is something WAY wrong with your SUB2000. I’m closing in on 2000 rounds through my Gen 2 and I have not had ONE single jam, malfunction, etc of any kind. Honestly. And, that’s from testing/shooting it brand new out of the box, through a serious round of upgrades where I had it fully taken apart and, now, testing some of their prototype parts. I put 200 rounds through it just today testing M*CARBO’s new trigger bar after taking it all apart again and installing it this past Saturday. Not one issue. My personal SUB2000 has been one of the most reliable guns I’ve ever owned and that’s amazing for any firearm. It’s amazing on a GALACTIC level for a Kel-Tec. I don’t know, but they seem to have gotten it right this time and I’m saying that after being a hater for 12+ years after some really crappy pistols I had of theirs in the mid 2000s.

2 Likes

Monty all I can say is find a gun range that has one for rent and go shoot it. It will be factory stock but it will sell you on why you want one and it folds in half for hidden storage.

I only have one kel tec and I love that Sub2000, it is so much fun to shoot and doing the upgrades myself is even better. I have close to 1200 rounds down range and no issues.

2 Likes

@KM55 It really is amazing, isn’t it? I’ve shot various types of ammo, even +p stuff, and never had an issue. Not even with the included Pmag Glock copy magazine. I’ve used 15rd, 17rd and 33rd Glock magazines. And, that’s across two different barrels/front ends because of the recall. Going on almost 400rds through the new front half. Still not one jam!

2 Likes

Wedge, you are absolutely right, there is something way wrong with my S2K (Gen 1) as there was with my KSG. Kelgren designs some really unique firearms. I own two and both were bad out the door. I’ve been trying to figure out the S2K for quite a while. I really like the concept and will use it for a range toy but I can’t trust it. I’ve heard some that love theirs and others that have had problems.

2 Likes

@heatermanak Just send it in to Kel-Tec. They’ll fix it for free as long as you’re the original owner. You won’t miss it being being gone since there is no reason to keep an unreliable gun anyway. And, if you want, it’s $150 for Kel-Tec to fully convert a Gen 1 to a Gen 2. Not bad at all especially since the Gen 2 has proven itself to be pretty darned reliable overall as compared to the Gen 1. Kel-Tec also got their entire operation ISO9000 certified after the Gen 1 manufacture, so their quality has gone up greatly. Getting ISO9000 certified isn’t all that easy or cheap, so it’s good Kel-Tec got it because that means they’re serious about doing things right these days.

6 Likes

If your talking the PMR 30’ ? Yea the Early ones had some barrel issues with the Key Hole Issue
I guess I got lucky with the 3 I’ve got Polished the feed ramps on them and use Hornady Case lube when loading and keep them loaded at all times and have not had any problems with Failure to feed, 40 grain only no 30 grain and no miss match brands of ammo. I use the Factory stuff from Ammo supply company and the Proper Loading Procedure that they Recommend.

1 Like

No, the SUB2000 Gen 1.

1 Like

Thought you had mentioned Pistols by kel tec sorry

1 Like

I did, but I figured you were referring to the most recent part of the thread in chronological order.

1 Like

Totaly M*CARBOed my Sub 2000 before I shot it, now going to have to do the last trigger bar fix, didn’t have it a few weeks ago, so now I get to take it down again, I’m polishing the sear and hammer to improve the break.

Have about 500 rounds on two trips, but I have it on paper now, my iron sites I can’t get right yet, but the red dot is on the money, and now I have to get it broke in and myself sharpened up.

But still all on a plate size target, not bad for a new gun, Trigger is better than stock, just need to get the last little bit of creep out of it.

But a fun gun to shoot and I love how it fits in a computer case, Went shooting with Dad this morning in Lakeland, Fl, he said throw your rifle in the back of the car, Said it is there already.

2 Likes

I have just enjoyed the weapon almost more than the AR. I have been very impressed with the customer service and the parts.I think it has become one of my favorite to shoot.

3 Likes