M*CARBO Brotherhood

What Is In A Book?

As an Emergency Manager, I tend to read a lot of disaster related stuff. One good one is “Guns, Germs, and Steel,” I have just started into it, and it was recommended to me by a friend in the field.

2 Likes

@Squidder_K

It sounds like a germ warfare book that has a disastrous ending? That is some horrific stuff? Many people have to think outside the box any more? Just saying… I have been reading a number of books where the author takes you from one idea and then totally has you believing something else. I forgot what that writing technique is called.

1 Like

always find myself re-reading the old classics. right now on roaming the mountains, John Parris.

1 Like

I read Dale Jrs book on his concussions and a non fiction political thriller about real DOJ corruption during the Enron scandal.

2 Likes

I thought I would share these with you guys. Steve talked about the books on his show. They just came today so I haven’t started reading them or trying recipies yet.

1 Like

Atlas Obscura
It’s about the Worlds Hidden Wonders.
I am reducing my inventory of “stuff” so I generally read ebooks.
Life is short unburden your self and keep agile.

2 Likes

@cico7

Right on, brother! Knowledge is POWER, and the mind is a terrible thing to waste?

3 Likes

@TriggerHappy ‘’ Boom towns&relic Hunters of Washington State’’ (Exploring Washingtons Historic ghost towns &mining Camps! by Jerry Smith
Picked this up when I was down@the Riverwood Lodge on the River in Winthrop when I came out of AK for Some Fall Colors of my Favorite Eastern Washington (home):smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

If any of you older, former trigger pullers are into 'Nam history and you read, pick up Flying Through Midnight; I find it interesting learning about what other guys were doing over there; I just finished this book and it’s spell binding. I have a good feeling for what the grunts were going through and I know all about running canals, but this is about the flyboys supporting CIA ops in Laos. Again, well worth the read.
JD

6 Likes

Ken, You have a very active mind and well rounded interest in all the right subjects. I am proud to call you my friend.

2 Likes

Here’s a pretty good audiobook I just finished. It’s a good “what if” book. What would you do if firearms were outlawed and the government came to your door to confiscate them?
SY400

2 Likes

I picked up a decent book at a yard sale couple weeks back, in one of the heavy black Binders the auto companies used to use. 10$ what I paid for it, a Motors Manual from Chevrolet,
on the 1961 Chevrolet Impala SS engines covered include the 409,.
i always look for old books. i picked up a set last year, full set, of popular Mechanics leather bound “How to” books, 1958 was the print date, love that old book smell…

4 Likes

@JDavis Thank you John for this Information on the Book,My Old VA Rep Helped a’lot of Vets who were going thru the BS on A.O. Claims Buy Finding the Old Flight Records in Laos and Other Special ops Areas, They Have to Land Somewhere.

3 Likes

Paul never did I think that buying a gun would led to meeting a couple of guys who are really great people. I am so blessed with your and Bill’s friendship. Look forward to getting together again soon.

3 Likes