M*CARBO Brotherhood

What Firearm Do You Keep In Your Vehicle?

@Omnivious That is something I also completely agree with.

@jeffing65 @Omnivious I could not agree more. People ask why I have so many “duplicates” in my firearms collection.

One reason is I want to ensure that no matter who is using the weapon it is absolutely familiar to them.

Another reason is I want my truck gun, carry gun, and house gun to be the same muscle memory.

Final reason it makes the gunsmithing and repairs just sooo much easier!

I keep a G31s in my locker down.

I have a Springfield XD-S 45 in a cabled lock box in my vehicle for dire emergencies.

Okay guys…here is my EDC for the vehicle! (Keep in mind I live in the Pacific Northwest…it makes more sense then.) Lol

Also keep an EMT bag, food & water, fuel, and some tools in the truck.

@Johnksg It makes perfect sense to me. :ok_hand: My hunting buddy carries a Stihl. My personal choice is an Echo.

I only keep the one that is on me as my EDC. I do keep a machete and logging chains in the back , with some water.

I don’t normally keep a gun in the vehicle although a quirk in Kentucky law actually encourages it. While employers can ban guns on premises, they cannot prohibit an employee from keeping a firearm in the employee’s car. When I do keep one in the vehicle it is a Ruger EC9s that I bought used, but like new in the box with all components, for $189. If it gets stolen, my concern will be the potential liability and not the cost of the firearm.

As a side note, I have to say that this inexpensive little handgun shoots remarkably well and I have been very happy with it. The only real frustrations are the inability to change or adjust the sights and certain “features” common to most Ruger semi-automatic handguns.

@jeffing65 Stihl is the most popular but that little Echo can sit for over a year in the truck with same fuel and start on the first pull!

Can’t tell you the number of times I have had to clear a tree out of the road to get home.

@godallmighty a big :+1: on the chains! It never ceases to amaze me how unprepared folks are when they go into the woods. They keep the special vehicle SAR team busy all year! I also keep a pioneer kit and tarps as well. The machete is useful for making trails through the new growth of the old clear cuts.

I gonna climb on my soapbox and preach a bit on truck guns…

I don’t live in the city, but the woods have there own hazards. From getting stuck, vehicle breakdowns, predators (especially the two-legged ones), and weather.

Folks tend to go to the seclusion of the woods for nefarious activities.

I always carry a sidearm, but it sure is comforting to be able to pull out that old AK when need arises! I have had that MAK90 since 1992, bought it for $150 and it came with 500 rounds of ammo. It has been customized over the years and has shot so many rounds I have lost count.

It dropped a bear one night at 75yards, and it was in my hands when I stumbled upon a crew of car theives dumping a vehicle in the woods. In all those years I have never had a single malfunction and it is very accurate out to 150yds!

It gets banged around, dirty, but it always goes bang!

For those of us in the country a good truck gun can put meat in the freezer and gives peace of mind when there is no way to call for help.

For awhile I was using my S2K, but then I came to my senses and went back to the one that has never let me down!

Can I get an amen?

Practice with my truck gun in the back pasture. Being “country” has its advantages! (And yes, I am wearing muck boots…it is a pasture after all!)

I have to drive 90 miles to get back to my “country” but when I do I have one 30 acre civilized parcel to play on near town and another 100 acres in the middle of nowhere that is about as wild as it gets in Central Kentucky. Even there, you have to watch your backstops because of surrounding farms. Shooting the neighbor’s prize bull creates all kinds of problems.

@JoeFridaySays yeah, don’t do that! Shooting someone else’s livestock is always a “no bueno” move! Lol

My family homestead (5 generations) is located in a fold of the mountains so I have 180 degrees of backstop to shoot into.

There is an “etiquette” to country life that I miss…you don’t show up to someone’s door with your hands hidden. You keep them in plain sight, even raised above your head, because you know there is a shotgun on the other side of that door! You help each other out, learn to doctor your hurts, and share food. You pitch in and work! A neighbor needs hay harvested? Someone needs a barn repaired? Horses or cows broke the fence and are loose? Your neighbors will help!

Most of all we were our own law enforcement. My brother, the sheriff deputy, calls that region of the county the “wild west!” Fine with me! If there is trouble I could call on neighbors ( and vice versa) to deal with situations.

We have a highway that runs from Eugene to the coast. We also have a hippie “country fair” in a neighboring town were they smoke pot, beat on drums, and run around the woods nekkid.

One year I woke up to about 20 tents in my lower pasture. They had cut my fence and cows were loose.

I called the store and in about half an hour had eight armed men to evict the trespassers! (I still get all warm and fuzzy thinking about the reaction of those potheads as they spilled out of their tents!)

I don’t want to live anywhere that I can’t have a good truck gun and chainsaw close at hand or an old shotgun leaning up behind the door!

@Johnksg You can certainly get an amen from me. AMEN!!

I couldn’t agree more. And I would add to that and say, the woods can be a damn dangerous place.
I am like you, I always carry a side arm.
Although I don’t have a truck gun per-se, any time I head out into the desert I take at least one rifle (Ruger m77 .223 or Remington 700 30/06) and one 870 shotgun (or 2 of each if extra space allows) in addition to my S2K. I take 2 of each any time it’s practical in the event of an un-repairable malfunction and for the option of having a caliber more suited to the variety of game I might encounter.

@godallmighty I also carry a log chain, folding saw, tarp, bungees, as well as pair of tire chains, a folding come-along, and a dead-man land anchor.
We used to range out into the desert up to a couple hundred miles or more, where there was no other people and where what you had with you was the difference between a solution to what could be a bad situation, and the real possibility of death long before anyone could find you in 1…2…3… thousand square miles.

@jeffing65 I have always been partial to the Marlin lever action .30-30, or the Winchester 94 in .357 magnum as a truck gun. But since about '92 I have relied heavily on the MAK90 as it has never let me down.

But you are quite correct about the desert. I used to be a volunteer with the Yuma Sheriff department for SAR and when I moved back home to Oregon did the same with the special vehicle team.

People get to those isolated places, suffer a breakdown or basically minor accident and find themselves in a “life and death situation”

Whether we recover a body or make a rescue depends upon their preparation and decisions they make.

All to often it is a body, if we ever find anything at all.

Yuma was a “hot spot” for SAR. One year we recovered 176 bodies from the desert (mostly illegals) between us and border patrol. They just were not prepared for the desert or misjudged the danger of the canals.

A couple of years ago a father and son pair of hunters got laid up from blisters due to new boots. We found the son after 3 days but never could find the father.

Strangest one was a woman who got her hand stuck under the hood of her truck one winter and spent the night in the freezing cold…she lived.

Mountain bikers and atv riders kept us busy because they could get far into the wilds and off the roads and often had no gear with them. Its a shame that a twisted ankle or broken chain results in someone’s death…but it often did.

@Johnksg As for a severe duty/all duty truck gun, just as your MAK90, no fail hardware in all conditions tops any other considerations.

That’s so true. It’s not an uncommon thing here for people to go missing, and be found years later or not,. Just read in news a man missing oct 21 found DOA yesterday, 30 mi from me. dont know circumstance.

And your right… It’s the little things, not the catastrophic, that cause tragedy’s. Someone loses their life for lack of something like a good coat, boots and a space blanket, water, ability to start a fire, basic first aid, prior knowledge of where you are and where your going, a good map and the ability to read it. (and for god sake TELL SOMEONE WHERE YOUR GOING if possible and then GO THERE) Or no ability to diagnose or repair even the simplest mechanical problem. The list goes on.

@jeffing65 Good choice of gear you made. I think I am going to add a come-along to my set up. :+1:

@godallmighty A come-along and land anchor is a must. I have on two occasions been saved by that one single item. Once in my 53 willys cj-3b, when attempting to cross a deep runoff cut that ran on the side of the road I was on. It was a bit too narrow, the front bumper smacked into the bank, and stalled the jeep.
It also broke the connection inside the battery, from the post to the cell plate. No way to start it and the cut was too deep to push it back onto the road. I drove the anchor into the opposite side of the road and come-along-ed it back out of the wash onto the road again, where I could start it with the clutch…

The 2nd time we were on an abandon mining road crossing a granite scree slope of nothing but boulders, from the size of grapefruit to trash cans, about 200 yards long, and just wide enough for my 1979 fwd Ford F-150.
The left side was 45+ deg slope up for another 2-3 thousand feet, the right side was 45+ deg down for 400 feet or so.
Some of the boulders gave way under my right front wheel and it slipped off the edge of the road.
I couldn’t go forward at all and I couldn’t back up without the front wheel track wanting to collapse further and drag the rear off the edge as well. We had to anchor the come-along to the mountainside and front bumper, then jack and winch the front end sideways back up onto the road.
It was a real nail biter. One slip or mistake and it would have been all over except for watching my truck roll 400 feet down into a ravine, where even pieces would never be recovered, short of a helicopter.
Another day saved by a come-along…
I also carry the full size one depending on where I’m going, but this one stays packed in my 2011 jeep.

@jeffing65 and @godallmighty I couldn’t agree more! Only thing I would add would be a “logging turn” to pull downed trees out of the road.

Too much faith gets placed on electric winches IMO.

And I have gotten myself in situations when I needed both the winch and the come along to get out of! Lol