M*CARBO Brotherhood

What do you do bored on a day off from work

Make a radio case for your SHTF Baofengs using your surplus ammo can and extra foam from your rifle case…

I know I know… I need more adult supervision. LOL

9 Likes

Ha! I just bought two Baofeng UV-5Rs because it looked like the government was going to tell us we couldn’t buy them anymore. LOL Amazon was blowing them out and I got the pair for just over $50. Still haven’t decided if I’m going to get my HAM license or not.

5 Likes

@wedge I’m clueless. Explain the radios and the potential ban please.

6 Likes

It’s not a ban, per se. We’re still allowed to own them. It’s just that they don’t conform to FCC standards in some ways like having too much wattage/power for some channels. I think it’s the FRS channels that are limited to 1 watt of power, but mine will transmit the full 5W on them. The ban was to be on importation so we couldn’t get them anymore, but it looks like that may have not even gone into effect.

7 Likes

And, they’re radios capable of operating on the HAM bands and, especially, using repeaters which is a big NO NO if you don’t have your license. So, I figured I’d just snap up a set since they were so cheap and, maybe, I’d get my license later. It’s not illegal to listen in or use/transmit on the non-HAM channels like the FRS ones without a license. Again, the “problem” with this radio and the talk of banning their importation is because they transmit more power than legally allowed on the FRS channels. Oh well, that’s just more range! I think they also let you tune in and transmit on frequencies you’re not allowed to use at all, like FM radio station freqs. LOL

5 Likes

@wedge Google says they can be converted to interrupt public broadcasts like the ERS and airport traffic control towers. Powerful…

7 Likes

Yeah, there’s that, too. If you can tune it in, you can use it. I won’t have a problem with that, but there’s always those idiots who will. The good thing is old fart (you and I know those types!) HAM guys make it their mission to hunt those guys down with triangulation. If they keep transmitting on stuff they shouldn’t be, they’ll get caught quickly enough and turned over to the FCC. They’ll do that with anyone transmitting without a licence and HAM callsign.

6 Likes

That reminds me… When I was flying back in the Navy, one of the enlisted paraloft guys who take care of flight/survival gear thought it would be “funny” to snake a PRC-90 survival radio and start waving off airliners on short approach at the local airport on 121.5 VHF guard frequency. He got caught and hammered HARD.

7 Likes

Here is a small write up on it:

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s old news. They’re still for sale on Amazon right now in all sorts of configurations.

5 Likes

@Wedge yea, they can be used to do a pirate transmission, and override signals, nothing like haveing a fully portable Ham Radio.I know a couple of guys that are playing with Drones as for as a antenna placement, for hanging and retrieving a antenna, to give you greater range.
I did the same Scott, Picked up a couple of "rainy day " units, already broke my base down to relocate But having 1 or 2 spare Baofeng’s is like having a extra 50 30 round magazines, it aint going to put you at a disadvantage. I had 2, now i have 4.
i still follow the old mantra. “1 is none and 2 is one…”

3 Likes

lol I am paraloft in the Marines and that was a huge thing when I checked in was that when we went through our test with the radios that we couldn’t go to certain settings and at no point transmit, sounds like someone got caught doing it here too in the past…

6 Likes

Um, survival radios wouldn’t be much good if they couldn’t transmit on the guard frequencies of 121.5 VHF and 243.0 UHF, which is what the guy I posted about used. And, you’re allowed to test/transmit emergency equipment like radios, emergency squawk on transponders, locator beacons, etc every hour from the top to five minutes after.

6 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy: never a dull moment with grown children

7 Likes

@Drumbic good idea chris :+1:

3 Likes

I sit on my porch and lure in back yard birds. It is never ending excitement for me. http://www.yardcrapbirds.com

5 Likes

@YardCrap Very nice work! Those your own pictures? What Camera you using?

4 Likes

Thanks Drumbic.

My problem is my chair faces into the Sun.
That puts back light on my photos which all know is not the way to go. I can’t change where the Sun is and like my fat ass where it is. I don’t try for excellence as that requires tripods and work. I prefer hand held and cold beer.

My goal is to get a photo good enough to ID the bird. Often I accomplish that. I have ID of around 120 birds from the chair I am sitting in as I type this. It is a lazy hobby that hurts no one. I find it never ending excitement as the yard is always in change, especially this time of year as migrants are about.
Cold beer, good music, and a fire pit make this a fun day.

Since you asked:
I use an Olympus compact 4/3 camera. A full size camera is the choice of most, but I like this small one.
I have the previous model and got this one used on ebay soon after it came out:
Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II
It is perfect for my needs as it is small and easy to use.
oly

The deal with 4/3 is it kinda double the lens reach. A 100mm lens becomes a 200mm lens.
Lens are the real deal and very expensive. A top Cannon 600mm lens is $13K. Not many are into it enough to justify that (certainly not me). An Olympus 300mm lens on a 4/3 camera mimics a 600mm. I use the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 300mm.
lens
I am positive my gear does not limit the quality of my photos. My camera knowledge and sitting on my fat ass does. Still, I have fun.

5 Likes

NIce, I have a Nikon i havnt used in a little bit. But it takes some NICE pictures!

ANNNND I am back at it with my radio box… I think i need to add something more to it to make it just not another 50cal ammo can…

What you guys think? Repaint or just some stickers that say coms or something?

5 Likes

@Drumbic Coms would be a good choice. Knowing what’s inside w/o having to open is always a plus.

4 Likes