M*CARBO Brotherhood

What Binoculars Do You Use?

I picked up this Bushnell Sentry, 18-36x50mm spotting scope and window mount in a trade a couple weeks ago.
I have never really been a big fan of spotting scopes and as for Bushnell, I’m not a fan of any kind.
But still, I only had about 40-50 bucks worth in the trade. And it was already misc trade bits, so I really had nothing in the stuff I traded.
At the very least, it works fine up to 100-125 yds, as a target spotter. And when I drop it on some rocks, run it over, or the most likely, it goes to crap because its a “Bu*^$#*%n#ll”, I wont be upset at all. LOL
I’m happy with the swap already.:rofl:

5 Likes

I use a cheapo Wal Mart 10X Bushnell I picked up 20 years ago. They work. I really want a good quality Monocular as I am legally blind in one eye, and I can’t use half of the damn Bino anyways.

5 Likes

@Squidder_K I think Bushnell was better 20+ years ago. Growing up we had several Bushnell’s, both the rubberized and standard, in 2 or 3 different magnifications. They held up and performed for quite a few years without a hitch. Their newer stuff I haven’t had the same experience with so much.

Two of my choices that fall into a good cost/quality area would be Leopold and Nikon.
I use Leopold’s now but I have had 2 pair of Nikon Lookout ll’s and I give them 5 stars.
(gave both pair away as gifts. one to a niece and one to a neighbor boy that earned them for just being a really decent kid. Should have kept 1 or bought 3 lol)
They had good quality optics and coatings that couldnt be beat for the 250.00 they cost in the 90’s.

4 Likes

I just scored a deal at the local Big 5, for a set of vortex 10x28, very clear glass.

4 Likes

@Squidder_K Nice. How do you like the lower magnification? I had an old pair of tasco 10x28 or 10x30’s when I was a kid that were really decent.

3 Likes

Love the Vortex, I have used it for a Lunar Eclipse, spotting birds and other game, very clear glass compared to el cheapo mart 20 year old bino’s. For the price point ($100) well worth money.

3 Likes

I may have more need of Binos than many.
My old ass sits on the porch with beer that is too cold and music that is too loud, and I watch birds at my feeders.
It is never ending fun for me.
For decades have used Binos everyday. I have a pair here and there near windows for quick use.
I can’t sit on my dock or go on my boat with out a pair.
I keep a nice monocular in my Jeep because you never know.

My main porch Bino is the Leica Ultravid HD 12x50.
It is too big for many, but sitting on my ass, it is great.
Mine is old, just checked and they are still over $2K.
This would not be a good value buy for most, but like I said, use them most every day.

A quality made bino will last one a lifetime. Good ones have never been cheaper. Excellent Binos can be had in the $500 range.

4 Likes

@YardCrap I am the same as you. I have binos from cheapies, up to my 20x80 astronomicals, in several places handy around the house, shop, etc, and use them almost daily. It is amazing to watch natures every day life around us. If the time is taken, you get to know individual animals, their personalities, their routines, see their offspring. You come to understand what their lives are about, the challenges and hardships they face, the losses they suffer (they are no different than any of us), and the the triumphs they achieve. For you it’s usually the birds. For me it’s usually the deer.
Everyone should have a pair, and I believe they are something that must be included in every “kids list of required items to grow up with”.
I have a bag with misc stuff ( lights, gloves, knife, pliers, folding saw, binos, etc) that normally belongs in the Jeep, but I can grab and take anywhere I go in any vehicle.

Although those like yours are far out of my price range, there is no substitute for good optics. Until you have the opportunity to compare quality against junk, you just cant appreciate the difference.

5 Likes

i use vortex diamond back 12 x 50 very happy with them ,paid about 280 euros about 2 r 3 years ago @YardCrap

3 Likes

@hunter1916 how does the 12x50 compare to 10x50? or do you know?

3 Likes

Let see,
my surplus reconditioned units,
BH ( call it that cant pronounce the name, in cerrillic /russian) Tanker NV Bino’s
Hensoldt german mil surplus(reconditioned)wetzlar (armored) 8X30 Bino’s
swiss Kern 8X30 (surplus reconditioned) Bino’s
Ziess 7X50 (reconditioned) Bino’s
spotting scope Bauch and Lomb 26X bout 1968 vintage works perfect
Meta Scope ( used to check for incoming NV IR trails)

only new thing i have newer is a WG Inovations /Halo Z1000 range finder
and a Binger marine 7X50 bino’s set

3 Likes

i dont know jeff ive only used 12x50and a small bushnell there only 8 x 30 and i dont think there great at least not for the hunting @jeffing65

4 Likes

As most know, binos are listed as 10X50 or 12X30, etc.
The first number is about magnification. A larger magnification leads to a smaller field of view. For example, at 30 foot my 12X50 have a field of view of about 3’X3’ which is great for bird watching. At a thousand yards, it is said to be 300’.
Holding a 12X bino steady at a 1000 yards is difficult.

Many experts claim 8 power is best for moving about, but I disagree. 8 is very good, but if you can hold steady, more power can be better. This is where weight is a factor. A lighter bino with 10 power might be more stable in your hand than a heavier one at 8 power.

Here on the porch use 12 as I am sitting and weight is no problem. In the boat use 10, but most marine binos are 7 or less due to boat movement. I have a 30 year old pair of 10X42 Eagle Rangers that are just excellent and cost maybe $400. I think these were made by Celestron. Good binos will last a lifetime.

The second number is the diameter of the objective lens and determines the resolution (sharpness) and how much light can be gathered to form an image. As most binos made these days are sharp, think of this more as light gathering. On a normal day, there will be plenty of light. On a dark day or after dark, bigger is better. One thing folks often overlook is that binos are great after dark.
So, a 10X42 as opposed to 10X50 is not much difference for most uses. The 10X42 will be lighter. Weight matters.

As to things like “exit pupil” and “eye relief”, not a big deal for most of us with today’s binos. For example most can be used with or without glasses. I prefer them adjusted for glasses even though I don’t wear glasses as it adds to field of view for me.

A HUGE deal for me is “close focus distance”. I am a bird and critter watcher. I lure them in close. The Leicas on my porch barley make the cut at a close focus of just ten foot. At 50 foot, I can read a newspaper, at 10ft it is less clear. Many may not need close focus, but something to think on before purchase.

Binos these days all tend to have good glass. The glass is coated to help with this or that.
It makes all the difference.

Binos (and most optics) started to improve as to quality and “bang for buck” when the Japanese got into the market. The Chinese now have taken over, and quality has improved as prices dropped. I know we all want to buy American, but that is the facts.
Very nice binos can be found around $300 that equal those of a $1k 20 years ago.

4 Likes

My hunting buddy uses an old pair of Fujinon binos. I think they are 7x50 if I remember right. They are big and heavy but the view through them is incredible. That must be, as you mentioned, because of the lower magnification giving a better field of view.

4 Likes

A big :+1:to @YardCrap for such an insightful post. (I have only been on 15 minutes and am already outta likes!?)

5 Likes

Damn…wish I knew someone (@Kona) who could do something about that?

6 Likes

MR CUDDLES!!! welcome back brother!!!

6 Likes

I missed you brother…now that does not mean we are going to take long hot, lingering showers together…but I missed my friends!

7 Likes
5 Likes

Aww…I did miss you guys! Just gimmie a reach around once in awhile, don’t ask don’t tell, what happens in Kinville stays in Kinville! :grin::+1:

5 Likes