Weather - is this a fun thing? 🌞

Entry update number 221.
-42°C here tonight.
Was waiting for -20 and mother nature doubled down on us.
Typical January temperatures.

6 Likes

-40 F meets C
x20 char

5 Likes

@cico7
I have recently become a stove feeding machine, the woodstove can barely keep the shop toasty. Need to fire up oil furnace to help it out. I dare not use the electric 220 heater, kind of there for emergencies due to the cost the cost of electricity, used sparingly.
That reminds me… time to refill the wood stove.
Cheers,

11 Likes

@Moosecall Welcome to Diva’s World in AK this year.

8 Likes

@DivaMarie
LOL, I just relocated a cord of maple so that I can mix it up with the oak and birch or which have a higher than comfortable moisture content. I noticed today ice sickles hanging from the chimney cap so by that I am assuming my fire isn’t hot enough, coupled with the fact that it’s been +/1 -20°C for the past week. Suppose to warm up to -10°C later in the week so that is good. I am not looking forward to creosote build up in the stove pipe so I just cranked up the stove, full pin, vents all open.
Cheers,

9 Likes

The cap/spark arrestor screen is always gonna be cool and cause creosote buildup issues and icing as winter lengthens. That’s “NORMAL” nothing to do with how hot the fire is.
I recommend purchasing a spare cap so you can quickly swap out and clean the plugged one…which is always a bitch. Same with the cat combusters…get a spare and rotate. IMHO…:face_with_monocle::sunglasses:

Clean the crap off rotated/plugged parts when you’re snowed in…or in the spring…and be careful!

5 Likes

@MountainHunter
TYVM, I never installed the spark arrestor, not the best decision, but no problems so far.
I’ll do the maintenance in the spring.
Stove has been rolling non-stop for a week.
Cheers,

6 Likes

@Moosecall Maple? I wish we had Maple like in Eastern Washington,
Great Mix for the semi wet and not quite done 2 year drying process here for the Hemlock & spruce.

5 Likes

@DivaMarie
Man, that has to be tough work feeding the Hemlock and Spruce, softwoods. Light, dries faster than hardwood, burns fast and sometimes hot (tamarack especially) and because of that your a feeding, feeding, feeding machine.
You do have birch, don’t you. I find it OK as well.

3 Likes

Here’s some BTU info on wood to burn.
I have plenty of locust and white oak.

7 Likes

@MountainHunter
I am not a dendrologist, so most of the trees listed I do not know by name or visually if I was in the forest. I have heard of ironwood, and looked up some pictures, yes I have seen that tree here in the forest but not really large.
Guessing I should do a bit more homework on hardwood firewood found locally to harvest next year.

6 Likes

An interesting story.
Several years ago we did a fly in exploration job to a remote area.
After setting up camp the search for firewood began.
With a bucksaw I cut up this cedar that was dead and nice and dry hanging over the waters edge. After bucking it up some I noticed that it had quite a few rings, very tightly packed. I was lucky because we had a postgrad environmentalist on the team and he mentioned that due to the short growing season and where the tree was growing that it didn’t grow to fast. I counted >200 rings and lost count several times trying to count them, maybe much, much more. I cut this block out and kept it as a memory of the adventure, which it turned out to be as a forest fire delayed out departure. Anyway, one day I will sand it down and include it with several other souvenirs from the forest.

10 Likes

No prediction on how much but it’s finally coming this way,

Here’s some hard azz locust….dried.

7 Likes

@MountainHunter
It’s warming up here -16°C than earlier in the week.
My food stash of root crops, onions, potato’s, in the sun room froze, 1st time that has happened.
I counted the tree rings, fast growing, easily distinguishable.
Tree count is about 20 years old, looks very dry, how does it burn?

3 Likes

Long-slow-hot….like coal and no flame to view for the most part…that’s the only down side. :rofl::rofl::fire:

6 Likes

Excellent, I like that firewood tote.
Mine is part of the open cradle, I never use it.

3 Likes

Sorry a footnote daily log entry number 237.
-42°C with the wind chill.
Currently -16°C not bad.
Going out to the shop to keep it warm and cook up some honey garlic pork braising ribs and of course a side order of bacon while catching up on world news.
Later! :cold_face:

7 Likes

It’s January in Texas… don’t like the weather? Just wait a day, or sometimes only an hour.

T-shirt today… leather jacket tomorrow…

5 Likes

You have been Spoiled for Too Long! :joy: Time for you to get Used to the Cold Again.

6 Likes

We’re doomed! DOOMED I said!!!

this was from a day or so ago. FWIW, we’re about a quarter inch above the “v” in ‘pivotal’…(after enlargement)

then this showed up this evening:

9 Likes