M*CARBO Brotherhood

Water purification withh sodium dichloro-s-triazinet?rione

sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione a.k.a. pool shock I’m aware you can use chlorine based pool shock as a water purifier but what about sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione? I found all other types of pool shock but this one in discussions. At the very least a cheap disfecnt? If you know anything about this compared to others any information would be great, thanks.

4 Likes

Bro, coming from a guy that’s been in the pool industry for 20 years, you have to be very careful self dosing water you intend to drink with any form of Chlorine. I personally would opt to boil, but if that option isn’t available to you I think you’re better of carrying a Sawyer straw or a bottle

4 Likes

Okay, thank you I was wondering about tha.I could find the information on chlorine but not this is chemical, at the least it would make a decent alternative to bleach if made in the right ratio?

1 Like

Our water is still on. Is yours off?

Yes, I’m being a bit fececious… Sawyer straws a great device to have around plus having an RO system if water quality for some reason suffers. I have added an extra tank for added capacity. Our system refilters the tank water through the post filter so keeping water in the tanks for prolonged periods is not an issue.

A few drops chlorine bleach in a gallon of water left in the sun (A good use of UV rays) for a few hours works just fine and has been a standard reccomended emergency water treatment in earthquake country!

If you have a half gallon of bleach you should be just fine! No foget that there’s water in toilet tanks, water heater and even in the pipes if necessary. Our neighbors pool here in Vegas looks great if the SHTF!

Hang in there and all will be fine…but always a good idea to plan ahead!

1 Like

No idea about that compound, you need to read the msds sheets on it. I was in the USAF back in the early 70’s stationed over in Izmir, Turkey. We lived downtown in apartments. Earthquakes and tremors were frequent and the water system was not the best, a lot of loose joints ect, so purity was of concern.
I was one of the medical officers and we taught everyone to add bleach to water for drinking, cooking and washing dishes. It has been almost 50 years now, but I think it was something like 4-6 drops per gallon . We bought a bit plastic barrel, 7-7 1/2 gal with a spigot on the bottom and mixed our water in it, and had it sitting on the kitchen counter for ease of use.

3 Likes

@jkingrph Welcome to the Brotherhood J.J. Thank you for your Air Force service. Bleach works just fine.

3 Likes

@jkingrph Welcome to the Brotherhood. Don’t forget to go to the First Post Here: Introduce Yourself! thread and say Hi to everybody.

4 Likes

@preimum101 I can tell you that 1lb of dichlor treats 10,000 gallons of water but that’s for pool application putting the parts per million around 10

4 Likes

@jkingrph Welcome to the Brotherhood J.J. and thank you for your service.

3 Likes