M*CARBO Brotherhood

Wanting To Buy A Western Revolver

I’m looking to get a Western revolver and can’t decide which one to get. Between Ubertti, Taylor & Co and Cimarron. I know Taylor & Co imports them in and puts their name on it, but you can pay the extra money to fine tune it. I was looking at mainly the 1873 or cattleman 1 or 2. Does anyone have suggestions on what company have a better quality set up? This is just for recreational use so it wont be for any competitions.

3 Likes

I have a “western style” revolver in 22/22mag made by High Standard called the Double-nine. It is a fun gun to shoot. I too have been looking for something in a little bigger caliber, 38/357 or 45 lc. After looking at all you mentioned, I’m leaning toward a Ruger, either a Vaquero or Blackhawk. Ruger has a long history of building high quality weapons and isn’t afraid to put their own name on what they build. Lots of them available on the secondary market, check out gunbroker.com.
I also have a Ruger Old Army 45 cal blackpowder percussion revolver, superb quality, but does take considerably longer to load than a cartridge revolver.

3 Likes

I’m not a big fan of Ruger. I know they make good revolvers, but something about them doesnt do it for me. I was looking into a 45LC mostly. I know it’s like .50-.60 cents a round but I heard that it’s a “funner” round vs the 357.

2 Likes

The Ruger Vaquero is a strong revolver and about the closest representation you’re going to get to a true period correct western piece. If I remember right, I think you can still get the original parts from Ruger to remove the transfer bar safety that was added later to make it even more authentic. Plus, Ruger is as die hard of a pro-American gun company as you’ll ever find. They’re the types you should support. I wouldn’t even entertain the idea of an imported copy over an American made “cowboy revolver”. :+1:

5 Likes

Which i can appreciate. Just something about them doesn’t do it for me. The vaquero is probably the best thing they make, but I’m not really looking for a Ruger right now unfortunately. Mostly looking to the Uberti, T&C or Cimarron.

2 Likes

Strange. I think they’re some of the best looking revolvers in category. Is it the price? Don’t be afraid to admit it because they are compatively expensive, or at least I think so. :smiley:

2 Likes

To be honest, not really. I think it has to do with them so common and I want something unique. I dont mind dropping $600 on a good 1873 if it means it’ll hold up a long time.

3 Likes

K … so … if it isn’t a budget thing … I have to bring the Colt SAA into your consideration set. The copies are all copies. Colt still makes the Colt (ok, the current Colt is making the old Colts again).

Mostly posting 'cause I want the Colt, but my wallet taunts me every time I try to afford one.

3 Likes

I got my father a colt one and it was like $1300 and i’m no where near ready for that price tag. haha

1 Like

I owned a Cimarron version of that model for about a year. 3 months of that was in their repair shop, ended up they wouldn;t cover the issue because it was a manuf defect. SO I had to pay about $100 to get my revolver out of their warranty jail. Go figure. Also remember you need to keep the grip frame to receiver frame screws tightened as they will work loose. My SA shot very well, when the screws weren’t loose. Also don;t expect them to cover cosmetic issues either, my blueing wore off the front of all the cylinders and cylinder faces .Their answer - hey that happens. So IMHO don’t waste your money on a Cimarron version, just get Uberti or for another $100 bucks get a Taylor.

3 Likes

@silverstring had a similar problem with the timing on a Uberti “birds head” and got a similar reply as you did on the Cimarron!

I kinda expect more from cowboy action folks?

3 Likes

@dred I know the feeling. I want a Colt Cobra simply for the fact it’s a Colt revolver. It’s actually a completely dated and out of touch pistol if you take the name off of it. The night Cobra is even more offensive.

3 Likes

I was thinking of getting the taylor and paying the extra money for the fine tuning if it came down to it. But thanks for the info!

1 Like

Especially with a named like ubertti who make nice italian pieces

1 Like

@boots I’d go Taylor’s simply cuz it’s called a “Smoke Wagon”

1 Like

Isn’t the big difference in that one is that it has checkered grips and a different hammer?

2 Likes

being a black powder shooter, Ubertti makes some fine side-arms, Ive got a Walker colt copty from them, as well as a baby dragoon. Have a 2nd model Dragoon by them as well .
I have the conversion cylinder to convert the 2nd model from cap and ball, to centerfire cartridge. 45 LC. BUT you are limited to cowboy action cartridges only. no high pressure loads.

Ubertti makes some fine handguns. If i didnt want a Ruger, I would go with either Ubertti or pedersoli.

Ubertti is pricey , their 1847 walker colt copy was $425 when i got mine, and another $250 for the conversion cylinder. there is sometimes minor fitting require on the conversions but no mods are done to the frame so you can swap back and forth

you want a real western look and function, Get the 1847 Walker colt, add a conversion, (45LC) and if things go twisted enough to where you cant get rounds, swap it cylinder wise,make your own powder and mold your own balls, all you have to do is lay in a good supply of caps and your good to go.
JM2Cuberti_1847_colt_walker_640

and
ubertti%20walker%20colt%20conversion%20cylinder

If i was going to go cowboy, I would go full on cowboy way, Ubertti 1847 walker colts or 1848 second model Dragoons, with 44/40 conversion cylinder, and a Henry lever with cyinide finish, +big loop, also in 44/40
and a Case XX D Crockett Bowie Knife…:smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp:
add decent gun leather , holsters and a 44/40 leather bandoleer…
gives me goose bumps thinking about it…:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

6 Likes

Well thanks for the heads up! I’m not quite at the level of conversion kits just yet so I think I may stick to a Taylor and Co 1873, cattleman or some other one that is the “best bang for the buck”. Eventually i’d like to get the russian, but that’s in do time.

2 Likes

One i am after is a Lematt

shoots 9 rounds, + a shotgun round on the centerline tube…

6 Likes

@GOBLIN Looks like the one the Man in Black used in “Westworld”.

1 Like