M*CARBO Brotherhood

W/ new toolless recharging handle can't lock breech open

Installed new toolless recharging handle (heavy, wider model), but now can’t slide handle far enough to lock breech open. Does recharge shells perfectly and fires and ejects normally. I think the spring won’t compress far enough now. Interior “U” spines of spring seem straight and undamaged. Any thoughts?

AMD

2 Likes

Most likely the pin is not seated in the hole on the charging handle. You can verify by being able to spin the handle and pull it out.

3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. I did check being able to rotate the handle or pull free. The pin is seated, so it’s something else. Also checked the stainless end piece to be sure it’s seated flat against the spring, and it is. System is acting like the spring can’t compress adequately to allow handle to reach the indent to hold the breech open. Could I somehow have damaged the spring? It looks like it did before the new pin was placed…

AMD

2 Likes

Probably best to take apart and double check the pin to spring interface and reassemble.

1 Like

Mine was really tight to lock back when new, but got easier after a couple hundred rds. But, i also have the red lifesaver (recoil buffer) so i figured thats what caused it to be tight. Do you have one of those installed?

3 Likes

That just happened to me. You need to remove one of the flat ends from the coil spring and replace it with the one with the pin. Look up the video.

6 Likes

My version of a like
:heart:

https://forum.mcarbo.com/t/sub-2000-recoil-buffer-question/14799

3 Likes

No recoil buffer, but I did eventually suspect I’d twisted one of the interlocking steel “U” spines within the spring. Sure enough, when I removed the spines one was twisted out of shape. When the recharge handle was pulled toward the locking notch one spine hung up on the twisted one. I removed both spring caps and the spines, straightened the steel “U” spine and replaced everything. Now it works perfectly. I think the spine was twisted out of shape when I rotated the “claw” end of the spine to remove, then replace the cap w/ the new stainless cap, as suggested in the M^Carbo video. Moral: Don’t twist the spine more than a 1/2 turn when removing or replacing aspring cap! Thanks for your thoughtful response.

AMD

5 Likes

I did eventually suspect I’d twisted one of the interlocking steel “U” spines within the spring. Sure enough, when I removed the spines one was twisted out of shape. When the recharge handle was pulled toward the locking notch one spine hung up on the twisted one. I removed both spring caps and the spines, straightened the steel “U” spine and replaced everything. Now it works perfectly. I think the spine was twisted out of shape when I rotated the “claw” end of the spine to remove, then replace the cap w/ the new stainless cap, as suggested in the M^Carbo video. Moral: Don’t twist the spine more than a 1/2 turn when removing or replacing aspring cap! Thanks for your thoughtful response.

AMD

3 Likes