M*CARBO Brotherhood

Vortex Optics For S2K

Hey guys, new to posting here, but just wanted to see what every ones thoughts on a red dot for the S2K are. Im leaning toward a vortex but not sure which model suits it best. Does anyone have experience with the strikefire, crossfire, or arc optics?

1 Like

@Crash1331 This is a Vortex Sparc AR attached to a American Defense QD w/auto lock. The center of optic is 2 1/8" above top of picatinny rail which is a little high for me (if I remove the QD then center of optic sits at 1 1/2" above picatinny rail which then front sight interferes with it).

It attaches and detaches very quickly and holds zero. On the S2K you need to find the right mounting height that works best for you. I have red dots on other guns from Trijicon, Burris, Vortex, Nikon, Bushnell and UTG, I like them all. I find myself using the iron sights on the S2K more than the red dot. I have the MCARBO rear peep and Blitzkrieg front chevron with Performance Services stainless front sight pivot block.

4 Likes

Probably the best setup I’ve seen for a red dot on the Sub2K is the Midwest Industries mount made specifically for the Sub2K. You can get one with the Aimpoint Micro pattern compatible base (which many red dots from many companies are compatible with) or a railed base. It mounts to the side of the handguard using the MLOK slot and allows for folding of the rifle with the optic still attached. Good review of it here:

As far as the red dots themselves, take a look into the Primary Arms MD-ADS and other similar Holosun offerings if you want to save a few bucks. Vortex makes solid scopes, but I have not personally seen or tried their red dots yet.

2 Likes

Vortex makes solid optics. While I don’t have that one specifically, I haven’t had one thing from them that hasn’t made me very pleased and that includes binoculars. Their optic clarity is top notch. Same goes for their lifetime warranty. I’ve never had to use it, but I’ve only read excellent things about it.

@dave67 Sound like that optic would be a prime candidate for the new MCARBO flip up mount when it’s released. From what I’ve seen it looks like the height would fall right in the middle of your current mounting situation, which is either too high or too low. :+1:

4 Likes

I’d do a lot of reading about that mount before getting one. There are tons of reports of it not holding zero.

2 Likes

MI usually makes good equipment, that’s unfortunate. I was thinking about buying one too.

2 Likes

I’ve read many posts about it just right here on this forum, which is unfortunate. From what I’ve ready, it might have more to do with the SUB2000 and the way it mounts to it. The M-LOK slots in the handguards just aren’t stable enough. I’ve also see a few complaints about the swivel part of the mount, too. It just doesn’t seem to work well with the SUB2000 for a lot of people.

1 Like

I have the sparc, just waiting for the M*Carbo site mount to release so I can mount it!

3 Likes

Looks like the sparc is the popular choice. Im partial to the strikefire but it seems a little too large on the sub. Probably end up with the sparc ar on the midwest mount until mcarbo releases theirs.

1 Like

Im waiting on the carbo mount and have a nikon tactical spur waiting on it.

1 Like

Sparc ii on mine. It’s run great for me so far. I have it on a qd mount and don’t have any trouble returning to zero!

1 Like

Have Vortex And Primary Arms. The PA seems a little better for changing red dot brightness(wheel). I think I trust it to hold zero a little better.

The Midwest mount is ingenious, but i dont think it holds zero.

1 Like

@Bigbobber11 It seems that the general consensus around the forum is in agreement with you about the Midwest mount not holding zero. Everybody here is waiting on the MCarbo Optic Mount. The proto type is being worked on now, so hopefully it won’t take too much time till it’s done. You can read all about it at the First Look! New SUB-2000 Hinge Optic Mount - Prototype thread.

1 Like

I put the Holosun HS515C-M on my sub 2000 9 mm been very happy with it

1 Like

Have the sight mark wolverine csr. Zeroed at 50 yds. Have dismounted and mnounted the scope in the same rail slot for over a dozen times now. Scope has held zero every time. I shoot at IPSCA cardboard targets free standing, kneeling, and on the move. Scope lets me put rounds in the “A” zone or head with satisfying regularity.

1 Like

Just walked out of the pawnshop with this. Same shop i bought my sub at so i was showing the guy all the improvements and saw it right below my gun in the case.
(I admit i imagined a Disney scene where the sight told all the other odds and ends, “this is my chance!”
Test fit works but anyone use one like this? And id like to get a quick release to replace the allen bolt, if it’s possible

3 Likes

Out of curiosity, i looked up that sight. I paid $20

2 Likes

@Gilligan369 You seem to have gotten a very good deal.

1 Like

I stopped in at the gun store, “check out my latest pawnshop find” and the guy couldn’t get over it. A customer came in looking for a deer rifle and saw it sitting on the counter and asked if it was for sale and after hearing the story offered me $80.
“Nah, i haven’t got to shoot with it yet. Besides, that guy already spoke for it.” They all think it was in military use. Im going to look up the serial number to see if i can find out about it.

2 Likes

Very Cool Find! I’d Love One for Several of Mine.

1 Like