Vortex Holographic Sight

I found a good deal on a Vortex AMG UH1 Gen II Holographic sight and decided to bite the bullet so to speak and buy it.

Put it on my CMMG Banshee 9MM AR Pistol and all I can say is boy do I love this thing. Took it to the range for the first time a couple of weeks ago and was really, really happy with the results.

Target was at 25 yards and I’m by no means a great shot, but I’ll certainly take the results.

I know the magnifier is considered overkill by many, but for my tired old eyes I find it really helps at times and I just flip it up and down as the mood hits me. For me, it really helps when I went to zero in on a target and fine tune my shots.

I absolutely love the Banshee and couldn’t be any happier with it. Truly a joy to shoot and little to no recoil. I know it’s only a 9mm, but for me I just like to have the same caliber ammo for all my guns and it suits my needs just fine.

12 Likes

Glad you’re enjoying your new gear. :+1: What makes it “holographic”? Never heard of that in a red dot.

3 Likes

From the interwebs…

Image result for what is a holographic sight

Holographic sights use a laser diode and mirrors to project a holographic reticle that appears to be “floating” on your target. Red dot sights require your eye to move back and forth between the optical plane and the target plane, but holo-sights allow you to focus on both the target AND reticle at the same time

8 Likes

Thank you Steve. Guess it’s one of those things you have to see in person. I’ll ask around my range and see if anyone has one. Very curious… especially with my vision issues. I shoot with my multifocal contact lenses and I am always looking for something that may improve my sight picture.

3 Likes

I have astigmatism in my left eye so red dots can be a problem for me.
Holosun Circle Dots present no problem, however for the rifles I run this:

On my AK-V I just installed one of these:

Very nice solution for not too much cash.

3 Likes

Can’t beat that VIP warranty by Vortex either

4 Likes

I have a Eotech 512 holographic paired with the Vortex magnifier, love it. Been waiting for a deal on the Vortex Huey.
Originally the claim was only a holographic could do a circle dot, but Sightmark and Holosun proved that wrong.
I’m not sure if I notice the difference in the focal plane, but the holographic sight is really nice to look through!
Another claim is with the magnifier that they magnify the dot on a red dot but not on the holographic. Not sure how that works.

2 Likes