M*CARBO Brotherhood

Veterans...Thank You!

@ChrisNelson been struggling a bit lately with old memories, but I really appreciate this forum…I do not use social media or put my stuff on “blast” but is great to talk with veteran gun owners and I appreciate what you created!

I usually don’t gush. For most of my adult life I have gravitated towards veterans (or them to me!) as my main friends. I do not know why, I don’t sort through people like ‘oh you’re a vet, lets be buds!’ But it has always worked out that way. Today most of my friends have served. My son in law is a Marine, two tours in Afghanistan. Took shrapnel. My dad, US Army during Korea. Many more connections.

Fast forward, here I am again, in the company of veterans, and it is an honor to just shoot the breeze with ya’s. From @ChrisNelson down the line, everyday I look forward opening up MCARBO Forum and hear what you guys have to say…and pray I don’t step in it in front of you.

Happy Veterans Day you guys. You make my life better just being here, I thank you for it and love you for it.

Well said, And Thanks to You! and Chris! and Kona! And ‘‘All’’ who have Come to this Brotherhood and Contributed So "Much Positive Input’’ In Reply’s and Answers to All! That has come up here on The Site in the Last year.
Happy Veterans Day to All My Brothers Who I have had the Honor to get to Know and Love in the Last Year.

@Boomchucker,
I think veterans gravitating towards each other is natural intuition for vets. We have learned to trust each other with our lives. After awhile it almost becomes a sixth sense. I think this is probably true for most “First Responders” and veterans especially those whom have faced life and death situations.

Chris, were you a dog handler while in the Army?

We all were and we thought nothing could ever stop us We were the United States of America’s Military.

Thank you to all who have posted your service pictures. I have always loved seeing them. For me they have such a wonderful and meaningful quality. Each and every one is unique.unto itself. They go beyond the pictures of our military as a whole and give it a personal identity. To see the faces of each and every one of you is something very special to me. Each one is the face of our country,j our beliefs, and a personal piece of who we are, what we wish to be, and of those who stand and speak for us all.

Reading some older posts and I liked this one so thought I would suggest at least one reason to why. They (our veterans) are the kind of people we look up to, admire, and want to be like when we grow up. By the same token, all of those things that garner our admiration, make them those we would wish to have as friends at any age. Honor, Trust, Loyalty, Compassion, Generosity,

I think I said this once before but it’s worth repeating.

As both a civilian and a member of the Brotherhood “I have the privilege to stand in better company than most.”

I’m not a veteran. My father was. He served in Vietnam, and the treatment those guys got coming home was a total disgrace and a stain on their honor and memory. WE MUST NEVER LET THAT HAPPEN AGAIN. I thank God for all you veterans and police officers who place their lives in jeopardy so we all can be safe. Thank them every day, not just Veterans Day. I pray that the guys over seas in harms way get home to their families soon. God bless you all.

@Jperr In 1975 I was 10yrs old. Here in the Magic Valley there were only 4 TV channels total. PBS, one local station, and with a decent antennae a Pocatello, Id. or a Salt Lake City, Ut station.
But even given that, on quite a few occasions I remember sitting and watching (im not sure if I knew exactly why at the time) the returning soldiers disembarking for what seemed like hours, even though I could watch something else or go do anything else I wanted to. Doesn’t seem like an average 10 year old would do, .but I still remember it so crystal clear.

@jeffing65 You know when folks say the rote “thank you for your service” it irritates me a bit. They don’t really mean it most times, its just something they say.

But then there are folks like you who do mean it. Take the time and effort to show that you care!

For you I and others like you I say a heartfelt thank you.:grin::+1:

You are so right about peoples insincerity. The “thank you for your service” doesn’t set well with me either.
I am guilty of using it here far more than I would like, but lack something better or easily said. (no excuse for not finding something better to say though)

@jeffing65 the folks who do the “quilts of valor” come to mind.

When I entered the service my mom made me a small quilt. I used it on every deployment, in the barracks, and took it to war with me! (Guys laughed at my blankie but they were jealous!)

After over 30+ years of continuous use it was pretty much destroyed. And since mom was dead it was important to me.

Those quilters took the time and many many hours to restore it. That meant so much to me that I simply do not have the words!

Some folks, like yourself, go that extra mile. They go beyond the hollow sayings and mean what they say.

That means a lot to me.

Thank you!

Those things (the quilt) transcend monetary value.

That kind of giving back, can’t be ordered online, or had in any store.

@jeffing65 that blue quilt kept me warm on cold desert nights, wrapped around my shoulders when I manned the .50 or MK19, was extra padding in the hmmv.

It wasn’t very tactical! Lol

But it was from mom and served me well in a difficult time.

It is back on my bed where it belongs, it gets used every day, and is especially comforting now that I am not feeling so well. (That and your play list!:+1:)

When I re-read things from past discussions, I so many times think about the tiny things within, that are a defining part of the whole.

With all respect I would have to disagree. It may not be a piece of hardware like a .50 or a MK19. I believe it is just as, if not more valuable however, and every bit as tactical.
It not only helped keep you warm and give some physical comfort, it was something real you could hold, containing everything worth fighting and living for. Literally sewn into every thread.
Is a piece of hardware that much more “tactical” to someone with nothing to hold dear? Or is something to hold dear more “tactical” because it contains everything worth living for within.

Nothing will live, or even try to, if it has nothing to live for.

@jeffing65 you know it is kinda funny how experienced troops bring some of the oddest gear to the field.

Sometimes when you are in a combat theater it is easy to think the rest of the country has forgotten about you.

When we get a newspaper it all about what dress some actress wore to an award ceremony, or how some football player got a DUI…hardly ever anything about us. Folks are all talking about the latest movie or political scandal, sometimes it feels like the troops in the field have been forgotten about.

But little reminders of home are important!

maybe because the media hates to publish good news stories ,local papers are best reads

@Johnksg Sorry I’m so late with reply’s. Miss days and the conversation falls through the cracks in spots. LOL
I actually get the odd and arbitrary nature of a carried object or ?. Obviously no crazy stuff like the pioneers. (pianos, furniture, fullsize stove) LOL
Things like your quilt are exactly that reminder and connection.
For me something would be a stone paleo knife. In the last 13-15 thousand years of mans north American history. ( ice age and melt through the Spanish, Europeans, settlers, and ? ) All the tragedy included.
The stone knife for me, is timeless magnificence, by its continued coveted, revered, valuable, function-able immortality and just sheer beauty. Not sure if that makes sense but its something I get comfort/strength from…
And your right, not a word, like our soldiers and war affairs are a non-noteworthy daily and Yearly event.
I as a civilian can say “i can imagine” but I, nor any other can. It’s not you.That’s the EPIC stupidity of todays US.
Being in a foreign and especially combat deployment isn’t like having to build 4plexs in Lovelock, Nev. for 2 months. (if your from lovelock you know. sorry, you have my condolences lol) and forgotten is not a real confidence booster or show of solidarity and appreciation.

Johnksg (et al)

I certainly mean it when I say “thank you for your service.”

No, I am not a veteran. But, it definitely is clear that our great country would be in shambles, if not taken over by other countries or criminal groups, without the service of our military and law enforcement men and women.

We owe our veterans a lot and I am proud to be around so many of them.