Vertical grip with laser light combo

I am new to the forum but it seems real friendly so I have a question about my KSG. I am a new owner and it is currently having some install work being done by the good brothers here at Mcarbo, thank you much.
My question: I am wanting get a decent laser light combo for it, but would the combo particularly the laser be reliable if mounted in a vertical grip. Due to the pump action I have my doubts, but if somebody could let me know what you think or what you know if you have one and how it works for you.

6 Likes

@LRevard TGL20 | HilighttacticalThis was on my KSG. Worked good & very sturdy.
I have new one for my S&W M&P 12 that arrived yesterday but not dure if it’s gonna fit.

3 Likes

mgmargate, thanks for the quick reply! Does the pump action make acquiring the target and keeping it more difficult?

3 Likes

@LRevard For me it’s a 10 yard point and shoot . This combo makes it pretty darn hard to miss.I think it makes it easier to shoot accurately

1 Like

With a shotgun that makes a lot of sense, I went on and bit the bullet for that same combo. Can’t wait to try it, thanks again for you time with feedback @mgmargate. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

@LRevard My new M&P 12 picked up today. Ran 2.75" & mini slugs smooth as butter

3 Likes

Sweet Smith & Wesson bro,! I need to look that one up, does it have two mags?

1 Like

I looked at the specs bro, it great weapon, several things impressed me, the pump action, the grip with different sizes, the two mags, the quality looks S&W. Totally impressive gun.

1 Like

@LRevard It’s a KSG copy with 2 mag tubes, Advertised as able to feed 1,75" mini’s, 2.75" & 3". Breaks down easier and has quick function to clear a jamb if needed. The action is also easier than the KSG.
All good so far.

@LRevard Have you tried out the new grip?

Haven’t yet, my KSG is at Mcarbo having some installation of some things. But it feels awesome, can’t wait, but have to wait a few more weeks, it will be entirely worth it I think.

1 Like

@LRevard On my KSG I replaced the followers and it helped but never eliminated the fact that for me there were too many jambs and Failures.I added cheek recoil pad/grip plug & extended tube selector switch which allows you to use your wrist to switch tubes.I liked the concept of the platform just not willing to accept the operation.
When M&P12 came out I figured it may run better. After waiting thru the recall I like it so far. The action etc seems better than KSG & is much easier to clear a jamb even though I’ve not yet had one. If that holds true I will shoot the hell out of it,If not I’ll get rid of it.

I haven’t shot mine yet, but if it doesn’t work any better than that I won’t be pleased. I only paid $850 for it new so I figured I could have some mods that obviously would improve it. I am having the aluminum followsers, the trigger and trigger spring, the internal polish work, and rubber grips installed here by MCARBO. So we will see. The M&P seems to have all that plus, so good for you Mark. I am new to guns again though I grew up with them, the Bullpup almost is a totally new animal to me having had shotguns and hunted with 12 and 20 gauge. Anyway, I’ll see. Hopefully FTF won’t be an issue at all, with zero jams.

1 Like

@LRevard @Wedge , Scott has one and had issues that I believe he got all worked out.For alot of people I think the issues start with Short stroking & using low brass or mini shells which are fine for fun at range etc.
For home defense or best reliability it’s probably best to use2.75"/3"Hi brass min. 1400fps shells.It takes some practice to get used to working the action reliably.

1 Like

My KSG was simply and completely screwed out of the box. No amount of “practice” was going to fix it. I think the entire action was bent/tweaked because I couldn’t even take it down fully without having to literally beat it apart with a piece of wood and a mallet. Had to do the same to get it back together.

I sent it back to Kel-Tec with it doing every type of malfunction I’d read about, plus the added bonus of light strikes. They fixed it 100% by replacing a bunch of parts, including the entire bolt assembly, chamber polish, etc. Why KT can’t seem to just do that stuff before things leave the shop, well…that’s another story… I sure hope mine was damaged in shipping or something instead of the tech just letting mine get out the door that way. That would be WAY unacceptable because he would have had to beat the damned thing together, same as I did, when it was first built. If he did that knowing something was seriously wrong and just let it go like that? Holy hell… I don’t even know how it could have passed the test firing process, if that was even performed. I couldn’t even get through a single mag tube without at least one malfunction and some, like double feeds (very rough chamber), locked the entire thing up requiring a field strip to clear it.

But, after getting it back, I knew things were going to be much better when I tried to separate the mag tubes from the receiver. They slid apart very easily with just hand pressure after loosening the front mag tube screws. Whatever they did, my KSG was certainly not straight and true when I first got it, but they fixed it and had it back to me very quickly, so kudos to KT for excellent service.

1 Like

But, as for answering the original question, I just ended up back with the very light, simple, sturdy and inexpensive Magpul polymer VFG I already had. I did buy the laser/light combo one pictured above. Yes, it’s a very sturdy unit, but it’s also large and heavy. I didn’t like it because I felt it made an already heave and unweildy shotgun even worse. I’ll find a home for it on something else. LOL All I really need/want on a shotgun is a light anyway.

1 Like

I agree it’s way heavier than I’d like. Only reason I use it is because for me it’s point and shoot home defense.Middle of night laser light makes it damn near impossible to miss.I saw a new Crimson trace on Shot show video coming out that is lightweight afg laser light combo. Comes out soon and I want to check it out.
If I can’t hit something at 10 yds with just a light than shame on me LOL, but the added laser makes it so can’t miss & have rounds spraying.
My theory was not even having to shoulder it.Other than the range once in awhile it won’t get much use.

Well I will see when I get mine back from the Mcarbo bros hopefully the factory assembly and quality control was better than that Mark dealt with. No excuse for that really as much as you pay for it, the S&W should be miles better from the that kind of stuff.
I intend to shoot the proverbial out of it and so I’ll soon see. I intend to keep it for home defense which includes a home on wheels RV lived in at times, as well as my M&P pistol.
The weight of it should reduce the recoil is a plus to me. I don’t think I’ll be shucking through the bush with it very far.

1 Like

Got my KSG back this week, and I am well pleased with it, haven’t shot it yet, but will as soon as I can.

I am probably going to use it a a point and shoo as you suggested for yours Mark. I am trying to get the recoil down as much as I can due to my prosthetic should, AND…
the Bullpup pull from trigger to should is way short for me, so the top rail unless I use a high riser for the rail sights is too low. If you have any suggestions let me have them.
But… with upgrade mods it is not the same gun, I had a trigger kit installed, aluminum followers, polishing internal, muzzle brake, QD sling mount pin, long mag selector, and am well pleased with the work.

2 Likes

@LRevard Hi Lynn, As a point and shoot seems like u don’t need anything on top rail. It just adds more weight. The TGL VFG gives u all the target acquisition u need. I put iron sights on mine as backup but never needed to use them. This is the S&W M&P 12 that replaced my KSG. Right out of the box it shot all shells incl mini smooth as silk. It’s easier to load and operate than my KSG

2 Likes