M*CARBO Brotherhood

Use A Bench Rest For Sighting Weapons?

What type of rest, if any do you guys use for sighting in a rifle/shotgun/handgun? I’ve alway used the ole Marine Corps method. What about for working on your weapons?
I’m going to do some shooting with a friend and he said don’t forget my rest. I said I dont have one🙁. Which sparked a whole conversation about it. We have hunted together but never done a range day.

4 Likes

Personally, i just use an assault pack as an improvised rest. Ive taken shots using all kinds of shit (including humans, fyi humans suck as rifle rests they flinch, move randomly, bitch and moan
about muzzle blast, and otherwise are obnoxious find a nice inanimate object that wont do these things) as improvised rifle rests but an assault pack is my go to. One of those fancy camra tripod rifle rests is on my to buy list (and has been for about 10 years…)

6 Likes

I’ve always just proned out on the ground. I figure in a real life situation whether hunting, shooting for fun, or in a defensive posture I probably won’t have a fancy smancy rest to stabilize my shot so I better be good without it.

5 Likes

I use a sandbag, you can make them yourself, or can buy them pretty cheap from any website. I like them because they are very adjustable for any firearm.

7 Likes

For my precision rigs i use a bipod. My lr308 has a harris on it, but for all my others i use a qd utg bipod i can stick on anytime. Have a couple of the utg tactical op-1 that i use between them. Works great on my precision 10/22, and my 223 wyldes and 6.5grendel ar platforms

6 Likes

I use a Bipod for stability

6 Likes

This is about sighting them in. I hope you would have already done that before relying on it in a real life situation. LOL

2 Likes

That’s how I learned to sight a weapon in boot camp. We never had benches or tripods with the M16, the 1911 (dating myself), or the 92f We shot prone, kneeling, sitting, and standing(offhand) from the 200, 300, and 500 yard lines, (for rifle qual) adjusting the weapon accordingly.

4 Likes

I use the lying prone position using a bipod rest for my target rifles but for my hunting rifles I use the drivers seat in my Toyota 4wd and use drivers mirror as the rest I know it seems strange but works best for me as most of my hunting is spotlighting in my Ute and I shot from drivers seat

2 Likes

I use whatever is at the range, if there is none, I use my back pack unless I have a bipod for such said firearm to sight in, I have used 2 sticks and some Paracord to make a makeshift bipod… Whatever I have handy to stabilize, I understand that it may not be the most stable but it is very practical! :+1:

7 Likes

Hey, make do with what you have on you or in your surroundings. Nothing wrong with that!:sunglasses:

6 Likes

When I first get a long gun I use blocks and sandbags. I feel that I can zero the rifle at a known/chosen distance more precisely without my own wobble/coffee shakes/or adrenaline interfering with it. It also prevents me from being able to blame the rifle later when I am hunting and miss by a mile. I am fortunate that a local range supplies this and has bench/platforms to sit at.

4 Likes

Personally I’ve always used a “V” type bench rest with the same elevation rear support. This keeps the shooting variable constant. Then as you sight in the scope, fire 3 rounds in order to adjust windage and elevation. With a fair amount of stability you should be able to walk each grouping on point. It might sound easy in theory, but I’m a mediocre shot and it takes a lot of 3 rounders. Thanks

3 Likes

@gman This method is quite efficient, I use a bore sight laser though.
6 Likes

we used sand bags for as long as I can remember. Always made them out of lead shot bags.
Now I make them using the legs from my old denim jeans.
What is cool about that is they make it really easy you can also make them out of your old camos, car hart type coats and bibs, or whatever your favorite look is…
And the ladies can make them out of pink stuff to match their purse and pocket artillery.

this is the last one I have made from a shot bag. It’s age is however long ago 25lbs of lead shot was 14.50 LOL.
Someone can do the math or ?

3 Likes

Home made sand bags, made from canvas shot bags. I have found if I use sand bags to get my Sharps 45/70 on target, and then go to shooting sticks, it changes the bullet impact a bit.

3 Likes

really, thats interesting

2 Likes

i have bi pods on my rifles and use a sand bag at stock to keep steady when zeroing

3 Likes

Pillow off the bed and two from the couch but don’t let your wife catch you

4 Likes

And, THAT’s how I learned about “height over bore” with a scope many years ago. I was sniping out our bedroom window with an air rifle and did that exact pillow rest thing. I had a clear shot through the scope and BANG! I shot the bottom of the danged window sill. A .22 cal pellet out of an RWS M54 will leave a massive dent in a metal window sill. :rofl:

7 Likes