M*CARBO Brotherhood

Unable to Charge?

Just bought a Sub2000, used from Gunbroker.

I tried dry-firing it a few times, and it seemed fine. Pulled the bolt back. Took the safety off. Pressed the trigger. Felt a solid thunk.

Then I did something, and now the trigger seems to make very little, if any sound, almost like it’s not charged, even after I’ve pulled back the bolt all the way back and release it. Mag being in or out doesn’t seem to make any difference.

Is this normal?

I haven’t taken it to the range yet, so I don’t know if there are any firing issues.

4 Likes

Welcome to the Brotherhood, Chris. I know this may sound silly, but is the safety on? Do you see a red ring on it? If so, that means it’s OFF safety, ready to fire.

2 Likes

Yeah, the safety is off. I’m not that clueless. :slight_smile:

With the safety on, there’s no resistance at all and makes no sound or click.

With it off, I hear/feel a very soft click. But it doesn’t feel like the hammer’s releasing.

2 Likes

I wasn’t trying to say you’re clueless - I’m a computer tech and we always ask “is it plugged in, is it turned on” because many times it isn’t. Sometimes the obvious isn’t so obvious.

This sounds very like the problem @workharddieproud had in this thread:

You might want to read that thread and see if something in it gives you an idea about what’s going on with yours.

7 Likes

You should definitely have a distinct click when you pull the trigger.

1 Like

@phuzzy42 I know what you mean Steve. I was at my buddies shop once and he was cursing about some mechanical difficulty that was preventing gasoline from reaching the carb on his inboard Ski Nautique. He was dumbfounded. So I asked him… “Is there gas in the tank?”. He looked at me like I was crazy and said to “look at the gas gauge”. I told him that wasn’t my question. I asked if there was gas in the tank… not what the gauge read. Guess what the issue was? Yes… it was a faulty gas gauge and an empty gas tank.
A lesson for everyone. No charge.

6 Likes

Just took it to the range today, and sure enough, it wouldn’t fire. The hammer is cocked, but isn’t releasing.

I disassembled following some Youtube tutorials. Is there anything I should be looking for?

Here’s a view on the inside.

I’m no gunsmith, but the first thing I noticed is that when I pull the trigger, the trigger bar that reaches back to the sear links via a small square block, and that block isn’t fully inside the cutout cam.

Here’s the highlighted area where I think the problem is:

The sear doesn’t appear to be reaching out far enough to engage with the trigger bar.

Is this a known issue? How do I fix it?

2 Likes

It looks like part 273, the “hammer bushing”, the part the trigger bar rests on, had slid out a little, allowing the hammer spring to slip down behind it, and push the trigger bar out enough so it wouldn’t engage with the sear.

If I push the hammer bushing down, then everything engages again. However, is this going to be a problem for me? Is this something that happens a lot with the Sub2000? Is there any kind of trigger upgrade that would mitigate this?

2 Likes

@WhiskeyEcho The hammer pin should protrude about .172" out of the hammer bushing. Mcarbo sells a S.S. one to replace this plastic part.

3 Likes

Thanks. Yeah, I think I’ll try that replacement.

3 Likes

You might try to trace the SN to see how the S2k is. Maybe worn out prematurely?

You’re probably correct. Here’s what it should look like - note at the arrow.

If you’re going to replace the hammer bushing you might consider doing the rest of the innards so you don’t have to take it apart again after this. At the very least, replace the feed ramp because the plastic one always wears quickly, and while the gun is apart, polish the heck out of the sear and hammer. Polishing is one of the simplest (and cheapest) ways to improve the feel of the trigger - smoother, less gritty, cleaner break, etc.

3 Likes

I second the opinion while you have it open do all the internal mods.

Also might want to get a spare sear spring. Mine is still orbiting the earth somewhere lol.

5 Likes

Anyone find a detent spring floating around?
Mine was last seen marching away on a sea of
floating debris.

3 Likes

I’m getting ready to do almost everything to my stock 40 S2K. I cut myself a piece of mosquito netting (about 3x3) to lay on top of the project while I”m dealing with springs. You can see through it well enough to do what you need and it stops those flyers from going into the black hole.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

10 Likes

Great idea with the netting. A lot easier to use that then trying to stuff a larger firearm in a plastic bag.

4 Likes