Turkish Taffy and Girsan Regard

I had to drive what felt like a 1000 miles today to get a new battery for my truck. I was close enough to my preferred range to stop in and get some overdue practice.

The guy next to me was shooting a Girsan Regard. I was shooting my Beretta 92x Centurion. I first thought his Girsan was a Beretta. So during a pause when people were changing targets (it’s an outdoor range), I asked about it and realized it was not a Beretta.

He let me shoot it. I must say it is a well made pistol and I am an admitted Beretta snob. My Beretta is a very good pistol and this Turkish clone is a very good copy. As I understand it, all the tooling used by Girsan for this pistol came from Beretta. They are an approved licensee.

The weight, overall smoothness of the action, balance, trigger break and reset are close to being identical to the 92. I was impressed. I could feel all the blood running out of my head when the guy told me how much it cost. Half of the 92X. When its on sale.

When I was a kid I loved Turkish Taffy. Now I have a new appreciation for Turkish pistols. I still prefer Beretta, but this Girsan is one of the best made clones I’ve come across.

5 Likes

I’ve never shot a Girsan, but from a few YouTube videos I’ve seen, people seem to love them. I just watched a video on a gun they make similar to a Browning Hi-Power clone that the only complaint was the sights. But they said that for the price compared to an actual Hi-Power or the clones like Springfield SA-35, it was a steal. I’ve also heard good things about their 1911’s when compared to other options in the same price bracket

3 Likes

I watched that Girsan Hi-Power clone video this morning. There’s no doubt the Springfield SA35 is prettier, but it is also a lot more expensive.

Turks have been making guns a long time. A lot of shotguns are manufactured there. In the pistol realm Canik and SAR seem to be getting a lot of press lately and fairly decent reviews. Can’t speak for SAR but I shot a Canik at my former range in GA and found it to be a pretty decent pistol at a very reasonable price.

There’s a lot of good quality guns in market. People have preferences just like gear heads back in the day were hardcore about Ford, Chevy or Mopar. Arguing and s#!t talking each others cars all the time. I wasn’t in those cliques. I drove VWs and leaky British roadsters that I spent more time fixing than I did driving. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I would buy any of them, if I could find them in stock…

1 Like

SA20 is one of them. With extension 7+1 23/4"

3 Likes

Looks like a Benelli

2 Likes

The Turks copy a LOT of Benelli shotguns. My RIA Meriva 12 “All Generations” copies a lot of Benelli shotguns out there. It’s only imported by RIA, it’s made by a Turkish company. The 18.5" barrel is vent-ribbed, and threaded for Benelli Mobil-Chokes. Other than a few hiccups during break-in with feeding, it’s been a damn good pump for 300 bucks.

4 Likes

All I know is the quality of the Turkish arms are top notch anymore. Go test the trigger on the Canik TP9 Combat Elite. Incredible for a stock trigger. Me wants now.

8 Likes

My brother has the Executive version of that (black instead of tan). The thing shoots unbelievable, especially for about $700. I’ve been a CZ fan for awhile, and I considered replacing my P10-C with a Canik

6 Likes

Every review I’ve seen of the CANIK is positive. SAR is starting to get some traction in the popular gun publications and bloggers. But I have not seen a single SAR in a LGS yet.

I’m seriously considering that Girsan Regard for my S2K bug out that takes Beretta mags. I’d rather toss the Girsan into the bag and not worry about it getting beat up vs. my expensive Italian 92’s. I recently traded in my beat up Gen 1 S2Ks, so now I have three Sub 2000’s. One is Glock, the others S&W and Beretta. I did that on purpose to be able to pair the S2Ks with the pistols I own and shoot most often. All packed up together in sling bags. Grab and go.

2 Likes

@Dung
I had my hands on the SAR9 at the last gun show I went to. It feels good in the hand. But, when you pull the trigger, you will know where your money didn’t go. Not smooth at all, very gritty. No definitive wall. And I’m not sure if anyone makes a replacement because I’ve never looked into it.

And, I guess it depends on the bug out, but if you’re bugging out don’t worry about the value. Take your best.

2 Likes

I suppose that in reality there are varying degrees of readiness a.k.a. bugout. I can think of a hundred scenarios but for me they break down into three basic categories. In order of likelihood. # 2 and 3 are very unlikely but it’s an interesting mental exercise to consider those possibilities.

1. Weather related disaster. I live in a place where hurricanes are not just possible but expected. If it’s a particularly bad one, best to get out of Dodge. Somewhere to the west and higher ground. So you want to have your kit with you. Or… stay put and be isolated for who knows how long. Given the tight knit culture of the locals, looters trying to steal fuel or whatever else will face consequences. There won’t be any police patrolling, so we are on our own and will have to rely on each other for protection.
  2. SHTF. An extreme calamity such as lawlessness and panic after a terrorist attack on DC or the enormous Naval and air base a short distance to our north could drive panicking people to seek someplace else to go. Among the waves of foolishly unprepared will be criminals.
  3. DEFCON 1. For the truly paranoid prepper types, there are no doubt Russian submarines sitting somewhere between here and Bermuda (800 miles due east) waiting for orders to launch. There are a number of very strategic military targets within 30-50 miles of here.

You make an excellent point that if things get really bad, bring your best weapons. Not the low cost clones. 100% agree. My position on that is it’s kind of like living in Buffalo. Natives have a 25 year old rusty and dented up winter car with a different color hood and drivers door. They keep the nice car tucked away in the garage until Spring.

So… as long as things remain safe and stable, practice and prepare with the less expensive imitation.

4 Likes

I own the Canik TP9 SC and love it. My only complaint is the lack of a thumb safety which I would prefer given the sensitivity of the trigger.

4 Likes

I have mentioned in other threads that I prefer a manual safety even though I often don’t use it. I like having the option. My earliest training revolved around ‘locked and cocked’ and old habits die hard. I’m not a trigger safety or a Glock hater, I just prefer the option of a thumb safety on any gun I’m sticking in my pants with a round in the pipe. A thumb safety does not slow me down on the draw. It’s all a matter of training and doing drills year after year after year. The second I put my hand on the grip, my thumb is instinctively pushing down the safety.

2 Likes

BTW: I saw a Girsan Regard on guns.com for $449. Half the price of a Beretta 92.

FYI — www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/415013467/stoeger+str-9c+compact+9mm+13%2B1

2 Likes

Just bought a Girsan Regard MC at my LGS for 500. I also had the option of buying the 900 dollar M9A3, but after handling both, I honestly believe the Girsan is damn near the same pistol (slight differences, like the locking block angle and finger grooves in the grip) for less money.

3 Likes

Have to admit, I bought a Girsan Regard MC two-tone and it is becoming a favorite 9mm. Ordered it on-line for $379. and received it 4 days later. Replaced the recoil and hammer spring (14lb), put on a fancy set of grips and it is ready to go. A better trigger than my CZ75.

2 Likes

I can say now that the differences are in the internals as far as quality. Beretta uses fitted pins, whereas Girsan used roll pins everywhere. Not a show stopper, but the springs are also slightly different, and if you get a Regard, I would recommend ordering a Beretta slide stop spring. They also used slightly different pattern grips - not a show-stopper, but be aware that standard Beretta grips will need a bit of filing to fit.

1 Like

I’m a CZ fan myself but I recently picked up a Canik TP9 Elite SC. Without thinking I put my CZ P10-C into the holster that came with the Canik. It fit perfectly.

2 Likes