M*CARBO Brotherhood

Troops on US-Mexico border are getting a medal

WTF

Thousands of U.S. service members who’ve been sent to operate along the Mexico border will receive a military award reserved for troops who “encounter no foreign armed opposition or imminent hostile action.”

7 Likes

I don’t mean to seem pedantic but given that description, wouldn’t that essentially apply to all active U.S. service members on bases here and friendly countries beyond?

9 Likes

@chilipepper You are correct . It means that if you get sent there , you get a " participation trophy " :-1:

8 Likes

Lol kinda like AF boot camp ribbons and Navy fleet marine force medals. :grin::+1:

8 Likes

It kinda makes you wonder doesn’t it Howard? When you were freezing your nuts off in korea and I was sweating mine off in Iraq did you ever stop to think…“gosh I sure hope those poor fellows stateside get a medal!”

We used to call those activities “field exercises” and it was just part of normal training.

8 Likes

@Johnksg Sort of like the Cold War Medal. I can’t imagine any one over E-4 ever putting one on . Or have I been retired too long and they don’t have any pride left.

7 Likes

we used to call’em GEEDUNK medals…

4 Likes

John Kerry threw his at the at the Mexican consulate…
That made 'em back down!

6 Likes

You know the very last thing I ever worried about in theater was a medal. And if you had a huge ribbon rack I could care less as they were usually POGs. There were only a small handfull of medals and ribbons that mean anything anyways. (And most of those get awarded after everything goes completely FUBAR.)

So what did I care about?

How good were you behind the wheel of your hmmv, did you maintain your vehicle, did you get lost? Where you an artist with an M240? Could you stitch your name in the side of a building two blocks away? Were you a marine I could depend upon? Either for work, fighting, or liberty?

The opinion of your sergeants and comrades in combat were more important than any medal.

5 Likes

Maybe things are different these days…

Back when I was a Sergeant my goal was always the same. That my team accomplished its mission and every swinging dick make it back for a hot shower, warm chow, and serious rack time!

Medals were NOT part of the equation…

Medals are usually given out when things go sideways, someone screwed the pooch, shit got real, and everything goes FUBAR.

We were all volunteers, we were Marines, we were the specialized teams that if we did our job right…quietly, nobody ever knew we were there. Hell even our own command “lost” us from time to time and had no idea what country was our AO.

This medals thing reminds me of participation trophies in soccer. It has gotten way outta hand in my opinion!

5 Likes

Sort of like the “fire watch” ribbon
img

4 Likes

Seven more hours until I can “like” (why Logan why?!)

For you @Festus a BIG :+1:

5 Likes

Most all of us in the military already got that award, aka the National Defense Service Medal. You get “awarded” it just for being in the military if something’s going on somewhere completely different on the planet. I got mine right out of Navy boot camp in the '80s…in Florida… Probably for Panama or something. Maybe Grenada. LOL

Now, with the neverending War on Terror, everyone gets it just 'cuz…

6 Likes

worse thing in the world, a butter bar with just a ND on his dress uniform… Had a new one pull a dress inspection on us. questioned me as if i rated my lil handfull, “yes sir sir”
he pulled my page 13 and sent a memo to the Dive Chief that I was missing 2 each ribbons, and unless i had em by next inspection, i would be written up for being out of uniform… I let out a stream of not ment for kona’s ears words(see I can be nice :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:) and ended up finishing up with "where in the copulation (:innocent:) am i supposed to find those out here in the copulation X many (:innocent:) beast of burden (:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::crazy_face:) end of no where??? He didnt stay with us long. wasnt cut out for it…

3 Likes

@GOBLIN @Wedge

Heck I was getting ribbons and medals years after I EAS’ed from the service. Who can keep up will all the bullsh*t ribbons and medals, the participation trophies the military hands out these days?

Ones I care about?

Good conduct, CAR, Purple Heart, bronze star with “v”, silver star etc…

I say you wear the ones that you feel are important. I do as a veteran and no one can say different.

3 Likes

Sounds like something my brother in law got when he was a captain back in the late 60s. I think he called it “The alive in '55” medal!

2 Likes

one that irked the hell out of me? Humanitarian ribbon. Cuban Boat Lift.
everybody knows i aint human…:smiling_imp:

5 Likes

@GOBLIN

You’re close enough to be counted :crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face: as human

4 Likes

thats a fine damn line…:japanese_goblin::japanese_goblin::japanese_goblin:

4 Likes

@GOBLIN

Don’t forget my favorite one. :face_vomiting:

Criteria and Background: Inspired by the Cold War Recognition Certificate created by Section 1084 of Public Law 105-85, approved on November 18, 1987. The official certificate is to recognize “members of the Armed Forces and civilian personnel of the Government who served the United States during the Cold War .”

5 Likes