M*CARBO Brotherhood

Trigger work for CCW?

I bought two trigger kits (S&W M&P, Ruger LCP II) to install into my CCW pistols, but got to thinking … if I ever had an incident (Lord, I hope not) where I had to draw and fire, would there be any blowback (no pun intended) on having installed lighter springs and polished mechanisms as MCARBO specifies?

I know most of you are not attorneys … maybe MCARBO can weigh in too?

2 Likes

@NeutronBoy

An attorney trying to sink you is going to use everything they can hurt you with. IMO, a good attorney will prep you on how to answer the inquiries and have a set of follow up questions that make the other attorney look small.

If you 1) hit your target, 2) do not fire any rounds you want to take back, and 3) you have a competent attorney … I would not worry 'bout it.

I practice to prevent failures on 1 or 2. I give a little south of $200/year to keep 3 covered as well.

4 Likes

@NeutronBoy I agree with everything @Dred said but add a caveat. Prosecutors have enormous discretion and Grand Juries almost invariably do what the Prosecutor demands - so much so that a famous jurist once remarked that any halfway competent Prosecutor could indict a ham sandwich. Most Prosecutors are elected or beholden to those who appoint them and therefore are subject to the currently prevailing winds and bias. It therefore very much matters who you shoot and in what city and the law may have very little to do with whether you are arrested and charged. Just watch the current news. Competent counsel may be able to deal with the matter successfully but the cost to you could be devastating - from the cost of your bond to the six figures you would have to pay your attorney (the latter can be somewhat alleviated by CCW insurance as @Dred mentioned but you will likely have no choice in who is appointed to defend you.)
All of that is a long way of saying that modifications could play a minor role in whether you are charged or convicted, but the other forces at play are far more substantial.

4 Likes