M*CARBO Brotherhood

Tools for AR building

I ordered a dimpling jig from here

Figured it was worth posting here. I’ll eventually get the other sizes, as well.
I’m currently waiting for it to arrive to finish a rebuild of one of my AR-556.

6 Likes

Dimpling jigs are definitely worth having

6 Likes

Agreed. I guess I’ll have to get a pinning jig for the pin on gas blocks, at some point.
I try to avoid messing with those. Such a PITA.

I have a barrel I’m wanting to shorten, thread and crown, in the not-too-distant future.
So I guess a thread alignment tool and crowning bits will be in the cart pretty soon.

5 Likes

@Chris19d

I had purchased a decent Husky 3/8 drive torque wrench (just for my firearms building.) If you get on Home Depot’s email list, I am sure that they will offer one of those deals that you CANNOT live without??? Call me LAZY/AGING, but I like having certain tools accessable. Tools are ‘another’ weak spot to me, but now that I am on a ‘fixed income,’ it is tough to collect them~ It was hard enough to tone down my ‘snobbish’ expectations for only name brand tools… SNAP-ON FOREVER!!! :grinning:

4 Likes

I’m assuming pinning the gas block is a typical task of building an AR, can it be done without the jig?

5 Likes

I wouldn’t say it was typical. Most low profile gas blocks are set screw or clamp on type.
Mostly, the front sight base (FSB) style gas blocks are pinned. But not all of them.
Also, some barrels come dimpled. I don’t think this is typical, either.

Oh, the set screw type is where the dimpling jig come in.

6 Likes

Got ya, good to know. I’m still parts hunting but must keep this in mind. :+1:t3:

3 Likes

If I remember correctly, you were looking into building A2 style. Am I right?
If so you will be looking at FSB gas blocks. It may be something to consider.
Either an FSB that clamps on, or the pinning jig. But other options are out there.

4 Likes

Well, yes, kind of. I do like the retro look of the FSB and that was the initial plan…but I’ve got some other ideas brewing for the front site (though not sure how it will look yet). I’ve really got it in for the wood furniture but I was thinking I might want to go with a flat top upper (in lieu of carry handle/rear sight). These guys do a nice traditional triangular 12" hand guard and it looks great with the carry handle and FSB, but I’m trying to figure if it would still look good with the flat top and a gas block with integrated 1913 on top (same plane as flat top on upper). The idea was to make use of a set of unused Troy folding battle sights I already own. Just having a hard time deciding if that will look good…whatever I do it’s gotta look good.

Something maybe like this…this one would appear to be a clamp on

5 Likes

That one is a clamp on, so no pinning is required.

That’s very similar to the Grendel I’m building. Almost exactly.
Other than the gas block. Which I’m not decided on.

5 Likes

It’s the crux of the biscuit at the moment for me. I think I’ve got the rest of what I’d like hammered out, the gas block eludes me…

4 Likes

One of the handiest tools you can have for installing rolled pins on AR’s or anything else is a Knipex Plier Wrench. No more dealing with a hammer & punches,just line up the holes and the plier wrench will push the rolled pins straight in.

3 Likes

I’d sure like a milling machine right now, doesn’t even have to be a CNC.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Which one you like better? Wait, I see the second one is still banded to the pallet.

2 Likes

I like the front one. Van Norman mines a #14 knee mill. more versatile. I can kick this pig, add the driven head, and turn it into a horizontal lathe.

2 Likes

I think this is the best AR tool purchase I’ve ever made.
Those hollow-end starter punches are simply brilliant.
Ordered them Wednesday and paid for 2-day shipping.
Got 'em today and very quickly installed a gas block pin.

I generally don’t struggle with the other roll pins much.
But the gas block roll pin kills me every single time.

5 Likes

the other good one to have is this one. how many combined detent’s have just us here sent into orbit?on the front pivot pin detent? worth the 7 bucks

5 Likes

Yeah, I’ve got that. Use it every build. Really great tool.

Here’s one I don’t have yet but will be getting soon.
It’s for installing the roll pin in the bolt catch.

Or you can make your own like this guy, great video, btw.

6 Likes

Got these on the way, another of those must haves.
Taper pin reamers
Master Bench Block

4 Likes