M*CARBO Brotherhood

Tools for AR building

@chillipepper, this is my little tool kit, just add a vice. There’s a few more things I’ll get down the road like a, what’s it called, the pad or support for drifting pins, for now wood blocks work fine. From the top is a mag well block, great to hold the lower while fitting parts. Torque wrench. The next item is a two part clamp for the upper, this one has an inner support to keep the upper from being crushed and a guide rod for the gas tube. Just right of that is my home made pivot pin tool, works just like store bought. Allen wrench, forget the size. Last at the bottom is an Armorers Wrench. This little setup will get you from start to finish. A set of drifts or roll pin punches to round things out. Oh, almost forgot, Govt. profile means the barrel of my build matches what was issued in the late 60’s/early 70’s, just like what I carried.

9 Likes

Good info @Festus. I’ve definitely got all the regular hand tools covered, Allen wrenches of all sizes, full complement of punches, could torque anything short of heavy equipment, blah blah, woof woof. I’ve had an AR armorers wrench in an online wishlist for some time now, maybe it’s time to move on that. Will have to look into some of the other specialty tools you’ve got there…and a vise. I’ve got a really old and rather small one that clamps onto a bench top but that might not cut it for this. I do miss having my shop but shit happens and that’s no longer a reality. :wink:

Funny, used to be a place called “The Shady Dell” (aka The Dell) in York, PA where I grew up. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

1-3/16" wrench comes in handy for free float hand guard barrel nuts.
Especially the crows foot wrench for torquing.

Very nice, I’ve seen the write ups of doing these with the clevis pins.
I picked mine up at Squirrel Daddy for about $7. There are cheaper options.
I did 3D print one, but my filament was brittle and it didn’t last very long.

6 Likes

@ValorSolo, I would have bought one if I’d have known I’d need one, by the time I got to that part of my first build I “improvised, adapted and overcame”.

4 Likes

@chilipepper, The Shady Dell cozy is from a campground in AZ, they have several old school campers for rent, cool place to spend a weekend.

3 Likes

@Festus “The Dell” where I’m from was a somewhat rural watering hole for the younger crowd, I think it still exists but has been around at least since the late 50’s, early 60’s, even my pops knows the place.

3 Likes

I’ll try to remember to put in some pics of my gunsmithing toolbox in this thread when I get home.

4 Likes

@Chris19d Post them up! I’d like to see what ya got.

3 Likes

@chilipepper, Sounds like my kind of place.

3 Likes

@Festus Just wondering if, much like the guns, @Chris19d finds gunsmithing tools he forgot he owned as well… :grinning:

4 Likes

@chilipepper

Less frequently, my toolbox is much more static than my gun collection. For building ARs I’m pretty happy with what I have and havent added anything ar specific in about a year.

Only thing I’ve been eyeing (because I cant remember if I already own one) is an extra long rollpin punch for the bolt release.

Edit: actually I lied, need 2 more hammers, a dead blow and a nice brass hammer.

4 Likes

@Chris19d Just jokin’ wit cha, chief. :grinning: The “finding guns” reply still gives me a chuckle (yeah, I can be a simple bastard sometimes).

Definitely interested in seeing your gunsmithing tool set. If memory serves (though it often doesn’t), you’re one of the more prolific gun builders here at the Brotherhood and as such would serve as a good example of what’s necessary. :+1:t3:

3 Likes

I know, when you read my responses imagine Ron Swanson from “Parks and Rec” my humor tends to run in the same direction as that characters dialog.

Here’s the toolbox, I inherited it from my grandfather it was his work box when he worked in the QA Department of sikorsky helicopters. Refurbished it a bit when I got it, and added a few upgrades (like the 550 cord handle replacing an annoying pull tab that wasnt sized or shaped right)

I’ll take some pictures of the contents later.

5 Likes

Got ya, it’s all good. I joke a bit but have to watch it sometimes as the humor might not come across as well in text. :+1:t3:

I like it, looks like a good size for this kind of work. I like the four legged furry crew helping out as well. Gotta love the dogs. :grinning:

4 Likes

Yep, holds most of what I need and is small enough to discourage hoarding BS i dont really need.

Only important tool that doesnt fit in it is the 1/2 inch drive torque wrench I use for barrel nuts on ARs and that lives in the big toolbox in the garage.

4 Likes

@Chris19d

I wish that I had inherited my father’s box, as well… He took his ‘home made’ wooden box to his (first and last) car dealership every day while he had worked there as a service technician. Shortly afterwards, he bought into a proprietorship called, Bob’s Margate Texaco… It sounds to me that we both came from very eccentric family bloodlines, brother? Thank you for sharing! This brought up some great memories of mine while growing up in New Jersey in the 'wee early70’s.

5 Likes