M*CARBO Brotherhood

Thoughts on AR style .22 like the M&P 15-22. Owners? Lover? Haters?

I’ve been looking at picking up a .22 for some time now. At first I was considering some form of Ruger 10/22 but then the M&P 15-22 caught my eye. I kind of like the AR format, familiar control locations, seems like that would complement using my AR556. Just wondering what the brotherhood’s thoughts are on the M&P 15-22. All opinions welcome. :grinning:

10 Likes

@chilipepper My friend just got a M&P 15-22, I was going to get a Ruger but now I’m up in the air like you. Shoots great and brings a smile to my face when I shoot it. So far no problems with it. Going to shoot it some more on Friday, let you know how it holds up after another couple of hundred rounds. :smile:

7 Likes

GF’s son has one. He loves it; no problems. He just built a High Tower Armory 90/22 which he prefers hands down. Might be 'cause he built it though - only ruger parts are the bx trigger and the mags.

I’d go with the 10/22 (actually, I’d go Marlin) but I say get the one you’ll shoot more.

7 Likes

I personally love the 10-22. Way more fun than the AR-22 I built.
But if you are going to get an AR style 22, go with the M&P.
Or convert whichever rifle you get to shoot the M&P mags.
I hated the Ciener style mags, so I bought the Redi-mag adapter.

I still have my AR-22, but I only run the M&P mags in it now.
And it really doesn’t get used very much since I got the 10-22.
Especially since I have that 110 round GSG drum.

9 Likes

Have both the M&P 15-22 & a Ruger 10/22 ITAC. Both are great firearms and have had zero issues with either.
Buy both, you won’t regret it…lol

8 Likes

@chilipepper. PM sent

5 Likes

@chilipepper

Dave,

I built an AR-formatted 10/22 Custom from an 80% Pike Arms receiver and went ‘crazy’ with the build…

As Capital One says, ‘What is in your wallet?’ :rofl: By the time you do what you want, you will end up spending about 2x’s the cost of the M&P, but it will be built to your specifications!

I am sure that you will be happy, except for the trigger pull. However, MCarbo has not designed the trigger kit for the M&P 15-22 (yet?) @ChrisNelson.

You can purchase a 10/22 ‘action assembly’ from Brownell’s https://www.brownells.com for around $125, which is a serialized receiver and match barrel part # 078-000-433WB, you can then purchase their Ruger BX trigger includes a 10 round magazine (2.5-3.0 lb pull right out of the box) part #080-001-296WB for around 102.00, don’t forget your receiver cross pins part # 780-010-033WB for around $8. I would then get my bolt from Tactical Innovations https://www.tacticalinc.com Item #: 03517 (black nitride) for $100, you make your own choice from a huge inventory of charging handles, starting around $33. You can choose to build your own, which can be more costly. I would suggest getting the complete assembly since you are not building your receiver as an 80%. You will have to have Brownell’s ship your action to your FFL of choice ( about $35 for the transfer fee.) Oh yes, you cannot forget your receiver buffer Item # 00203 for $3. Then, my final suggestion would be (giving you a ‘little’ homework…) Go to https://ebay.com and find yourself a new/used ProMag AA556P Archangel Pistol Conversion Stock Ruger 10/22 Black w/Bipod (as low as $99.)

And if you really want your cake and eat it too, order yourself the 10/22 trigger spring kit from https://www.mcarbo.com for about $20 @ChrisNelson. If you do this ‘trick’ trigger job, you will find your trigger as soft as 1.7 pounds (without polishing the trigger and sear!) I am guessing that my ‘custom’ build recommendations will cost you about the same as the M&P 15/22 and will meet and exceed your expectations? :smiley: I am assuming that your firearm is NOT coming equipped with a scope/sights? The Archangel 556AA has a pictanny rail system to accommodate your needs. Happy decision making, brother! :+1:

8 Likes

Personally I’d build my own, but if it ignoring that I’d go 15-22

6 Likes

i have the 50th anniversary ruger 10/22 and love it, definitely a squirrel killer

7 Likes

@chilipepper A .22 is a great rifle to have. I shoot mine more than any other, just because it shoots well and is inexpensive to feed. We think nothing of shooting upwards of 4/500 rounds a trip. Any modern .22 semi auto is a good choice, 10/22, Remington 597, Marlin, Savage…or roll your own with parts of many kinds. The ONE thing I don’t like about the 10/22, it does not have a last round hold open feature. This will cure that issue, 2nd Gen CST Bolt A bit pricey, but IMHO well worth the cost. Oh, and you can get the 10/22 in an M1 Carbine like configuration too!

6 Likes

HOOT … got you a vintage 10/22 eh? FWIW, my vintage Marlin Papoose is pre LRBHO. Don’t know when Ruger added it, but … I’m pretty sure they come with LRBHO these days. I can tell you Marlin Semis have been doing the LRBHO thing since the early 90s.

I do think BHO is a big deal for rimfires.

Edit to admit I should shut up about what I don’t know. I’m just shocked Ruger guys still gotta count shots with all them high cap mag options I was jealous of.

7 Likes

@Dred

Yeah, I am not a ‘big fan’ of the Ruger 10/22 bolt release set up. I always forget to change my finger positioning when depressing the release and the bolt gets stuck open… I tend to modify the bolt release by using a dremel tool and removing the tab in the recess of the bolt release when doing my trigger spring replacement (though I tend to forget…) I blame that on my meds, though! :innocent:

7 Likes

We got this one last spring. It’s the Sporter 22" barreled version. Got this one as it’s close to weight/feel as the Remington 341 my wife first shot. She could never get used to running the bolt or tube mag, so I thought the 10/22 would be a better option for her. Truth be told, I was rather surprised it lacked the lrbho. I hate dry firing, but again that’s just me. After adding the new bolt, a trigger job, bi pod and a scope, she loves it.

7 Likes

:+1: @Festus

Sucks being out of likes! :smiley:

6 Likes

I just put an ATI M4 style stock on my Ruger 10-22, around $100.

5 Likes

ATI Ruger 10/22 stock

6 Likes

@chilipepper I have been looking into and researching an AR in .22LR and you really can’t go wrong with the M&P 15-22, it is a great AR style .22LR plinkster and some parts do interchange with AR parts…the only thing I’m not crazy about is that it is all polymer. The HK 416 .22LR is quality and all aluminum but a lot of the AR controls are fake such as the bolt hold open lever and the forward assist and the barrel is pencil small and thin. I came across a Tippmann M4 .22LR (Pro model as well) at a recent Gun Show and it looked and felt like a real AR (aluminum upper & lower) with all working controls in the same place and all parts are interchangeable with AR parts. I own a stainless Ruger 10/22 with many Kidd upgrades and a Boyds stock and it feels and shoots great but I would like a .22LR in the look and feel of an AR as well.

6 Likes

Build-your-owns can get expensive but will give you everything you want.
Use any upper, lower and furniture, add the CMMG bolt kit with mags.
Don’t forget the dedicated collar if you use a 22LR barrel for accuracy.
Get the Redi-mag adapter if you want to use M&P mags. Good to go.

6 Likes

First off, thanks to everyone who responded, both in this thread and PM. Appreciate all the feedback, looks like there’s quite a bit of .22LR love out there. :slightly_smiling_face:

I had considered building my own, though as tempting as that might be I think I’m saving my build cherry for an AR chambered in something larger with wood furniture. As some of you have noted, a build is not the most cost effective option and for the .22 this is a consideration. One of the main reasons for considering the .22 is costs, mainly shooting costs but this also applies to the purchase price of the firearm.

Some part of me is partial to the 10/22 and I’m not necessarily ecstatic about the 15-22 being all polymer, either. If I go with the 10/22 I’ll likely spend close to what I would on a build kitting it out the way I want. If I go with the 15-22, I might change the grip and possibly tweak the trigger if I find it needs a little something but it would remain basically stock otherwise. The couple hundred I’ll bank on initial purchase and fit out would go well in an ammo fund…

I’d be interested to hear how you made out at your second shoot.

Yep, knew this one was coming…I like the way you think, however, my financial manager does not…:grinning:

8 Likes

I never cared about owning an AR style 22lr until I shot a friends M&P 15/22. It was a lot better than I expected it to be as far as accuracy goes. I have one safe that is completely full of 22 rifles - pistols,and my semi-auto rifle favorites include my Ruger 10/22 T , Remington 552 Speedmaster , and Marlin 60. They are all very accurate guns when you find the exact ammo they like.

After shooting my friends M&P 15/22,I started looking at them online and bought one for a very good price at a local gun show. It has become one of my favorite rifles to shoot,especially with one of my suppressor’s on it.
I did swap out the trigger with a Rise 3 lb drop in.

8 Likes