M*CARBO Brotherhood

THIS is a heads up on the BATTLEBOX SNIPER BLADEWORKS HD DMF FOLDER

have a issue with the BATTLEBOX SNIPER BLADEWORKS HEAVY DUTY DMF folder.
these knives are supposed to be made frome either 1095 HC steel, (wipe it down from time to time with lube, wipe down daily) OR S35VN which is a stainless steel wipe down every now and then) now ive handled both steels for years on knives, as well as 1095,1098, 5160 plus a lot of different stainless steels, some good, some bad, some a waste of time.
ive got one of each because i like the design. 1 in 1095 and 1 in S35VN
( the custom Sniper Bladeworks DMF will cost you between $799.00 and $1000.00)
this a collaboration knife between Sniper Bladeworks and Battlebox, a production knife as it were, and prices are accordingly at 1095 steel $149.99 and S35VN $299.99 on the first ever production run on a DMF.
this was in my right front pocket for 8 hours, supposed to be the S35VN model

even if its the 1095 variant, after 8 hrs of pocket carry, aint no way in proverbial hell this should happen on a stone wash finish.
I wiped both knives down, prior to carrying, with TH25B from mill-comm. I wipe Guns i hunt in blackwater swamp with. never had a spec of rust on anything. except the pistol i carry day in day out, but i rectified that with a good coating.,and even it didnt rust/pit /stain in 8 hrs… So if you want to keep these in a case and ooooo and aaahhhhh em, but never carry or use,(or expect a lot of rust) they could be for you. if your going to actually get one to work, I would have to pass. Im dropping this knife off tomorrow at a NDT testing fac that a buddy runs, im going to let him tell me what the steel actually is…or is not.
rant over:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

11 Likes

Day 2 of my rant :thinking:
I buffed the corrosion off the blade, with Blac then grey rouge and the Baldor buffer.
was kinda WTF when the stone wash finish just disappeared. not very deep at all on the etch.(you can see where it went away in the pic, you can also see where 8 hours worth of corrosion pitted the blade)
ANYWAY
i decided to try one more thing , before i test it tomorrow on a 8 hr pocket run, and before i drop it off at the NDT test place,
I buffed it, then cleaned it and then i coated it with SHINE SEAL (used to be called ZOOP) its a metal sealer that is supposed to keep steel /alloy polished parts from corroding/clouding . Ive used it on bike parts with great success.
Give it a go, see what it do…

6 Likes

i think your salt is way high and your blade was a bad batch of steel

7 Likes

That is unacceptable. In a blade of this price range it is beyond unacceptable. Interested in the test results.

7 Likes

@GOBLIN Take no Prisoners ! That’s just BS’ waiting for the results of test.

6 Likes

Hopefully that fixes the problem… that a beautiful blade

3 Likes

@Corruptedflesh Welcome to the Brotherhood. Don’t forget to go to the First Post Here: Introduce Yourself! thread and say Hi to everybody.

5 Likes

so far the the shine seal is holding it , the corrosion at bay. will run it till it blows corrosion. talked to my bud at the NDT lab, told me to drop it off when i was ready…
see how long it lasts, this is South Carolina , rust never sleeps here…

6 Likes

still keeping rust down with shine seal, but i noticed something else, cut a bunch of line and rope today was dulled down fairly quick, I know how 1095 sharpens, sorta almost like 1098, once you get a edge it holds it. bout 5 hits on a strop it was back razor, but dulled quick again. im beginning to think somewhere between 1060 and 1075
Im dropping it off sat at the lab, rust or not.

6 Likes

“UPDATE” pulled the blade out tonight, even after applying shine seal, blade rusted on along the spine both sides. shine seal keeps steel from rusting and alloy from clouding on bikes exposed to the weather, usually up to 10 months.on a closed knife blade in my pocket it lasted 4 days.
Im dropping the blade off at the Lab tomorrow, see what the verdict on material is…I Have a feeling I know what he is going to tell. me//…

7 Likes

It’s not going to be Pilot Error! We know that’:grinning:

6 Likes

got the answer, with a explanation.confusing but ironic.
what the steel roughly is,is between 1060/1070 which because of its manufacture,(China) the steel, it could be out of a batch of what they stamp as 1095 and ship to the US. unless the material is sold to a vendor that requires a MSDS data sheet, the steel can vary in composition, from 0.60 to 1.00 % and still fall in the HCS scope.
thats what we deserve from shutting down all our steel mills. Bethlehem Ironworks, Sharon, and Georgetown Steel (they are currently trying to restart the fires at georgetown, takes up to 4 years for the first bucket of slop to move…)
I can tell cutting HCs import on the mill and lathe, hard and soft spots. thats why i seek out american made steel out of scrapyards.
when we made it 1095 was 1095 every run was tested and checked. then they make it, lot of impurities and the same requirements are not levied upon the material.
so i basically got a knife, thats a paperweight, cause if i carry it, it will rust in the SC air.
I knew it wasnt 1095, I have a couple of ESEE knives, made, you guessed it from 1095, that i lube maybe 1 time a year with TW25B never ever had a issue.1060 can be tempered, and used in knifemaking. I can just put down to one company lending their design and trademark, to produce a less expensive item ,offshore, and then jack the price, and use the first companies name to sell em off.
as the original maker, uses 1095 in his customs, that range in price from 450$ thru 900$ you would expect some kinda quality in collaborations
I found 6 other companies making the same design, for prices from 102$ -165$ range. most using 440C which isnt a real bad stainless. I could either sell em off, and not say a word, or eat it, and just not buy from either company again.
I will do the second, as I aint one to unload a bad item to someone not knowing.
that will put em on the same level as Cold Steel, I wont buy from them again either, not because of their knives, but because the way I was treated on a warranty job on a failed lock on a Spartan folder, by the owner himself.

6 Likes

Sad that the bottom line is all they seem to care about. They’ll get none of my business.

5 Likes

@Corruptedflesh

Welcome to the MCarbo Team, Tim!!!

6 Likes

Pleasure to be on here

5 Likes

@Corruptedflesh Welcome to the Brotherhood and all it’s Great Members and all the Knowledge that is Past Back and Forth Daily!

5 Likes

@Corruptedflesh
Hi Tim, welcome!

2 Likes