The Uninformed & Clueless Non-Firearm Owner

We all have heard some crazy things from ignorant politicians and “celebrities” about firearms. Ignorant meaning uninformed, not necessarily stupid (but possible). There are already tons of memes out on this forum. But what have you personally heard from friends, family, neighbors, etc. that made you cringe and think “they have no idea what they are talking about”? Please no politics… just craziness.

I have several examples but will start with one from Friday. An acquaintance asked about how I get my ammo. I explained to her usually purchased via the internet and delivered by FedEx or UPS right to my door. She had no idea you could do this and went on a rage of how if FedEx or UPS knew it was ammo they wouldn’t be dropping it off at my door. I told her the box has a clear designation (black & white) label that identifies the contents and it was 100% legal. She then said I am crazy because if someone were to steal the package that I would be personally responsible for every round that may be used in criminal activity. So… in my mind she quickly transitioned from ignorant to bat-s#!t crazy. I asked her if she ordered knitting needles and someone stole them and stabbed someone else would she be liable? She said she didn’t want to talk about the subject anymore. So I helped with her ignorance, but failed to stop the stupid in her. I tried.

22 Likes

You may recall the new California “neighbors” that called the sheriffs on me last year for “legally” shooting on my property. Well they invited me to see the house they built recently! :scream:
We had a good time and got to know each other in a positive way. Two bottles of Malbec helped. :wine_glass:

We did not talk about firearms but I think when and if it comes up we will have a good exchange….and I might give them some firearm training…safety first of course…then some target shooting.

So for now…the story of my “Uninformed and Clueless Non-Firearm Owner” neighbors has taken a positive turn…and I’m going to be shooting targets today from home…:sunglasses::boom::boom::boom:

11 Likes

There was a segment on the news a few nights ago about “ghost guns.” They were going on about the “dangers of untraceable guns.” If these morons would educate themselves on gun laws, they’d know it’s perfectly legal to build your own firearm as long as you don’t intend to sell it. But at the end of the segment, they said the stupidest thing I’ve heard yet about such guns. They claimed a “ghost gun” could be manufactured for as little as $5.00. Show me how to make these guns for that price lol (and I’m not talking about the hardware store pipe gun)

16 Likes

Back in the 50’s stolen car antenna “ghost guns” were under $5:

8 Likes

Just the usual.

Every rabid antigunner in my family goes on about automatic fire from my ARs (black guns in general) regardless of the number of times I have explained the ACTUAL truth or the actual law before.

I think it goes 1. learn a little from Dred, 2. watch a little MSM or Hollycrap, 3. forget the freshly learned TRUTH and 4. make dumb and wrong statement around Dred again. 5. is rinse and repeat.

18 Likes

The anti-gun lobby is very well funded by wealthy, educated people in power. They are adept at creating propaganda that the next tier down embrace. Because they fancy themselves as ‘enlightened’. They imagine a utopian society with no violence and believe that making guns impossible for citizens to obtain accomplishes that goal. That’s how they think. The modern day kings and queens who control all the wealth are very good at manipulating people who live in a dreamland where government can be trusted. What they don’t realize is how much influence those kings and queens have on government.

5 Likes

@Dung Great job preaching to the choir something we are ALL aware of. Besides the obvious… do you have a story or not?

8 Likes

Trying to stop the stupid statements in the uneducated antigun crowd is very similar to holding back the sun from rising in the morning. It’s NEVER going to happen. They aren’t interested in getting educated no matter what facts you present. At my uncles funeral the VFW gave me an fired blank brass casing. Immediately my sister said " You flew here & you can’t take that on an airplane ! " My reply was ’ if you had a clue about this subject you’d appear to be intelligent! ". She has a masters degree in education, we don’t get along.

16 Likes

Interesting topic. Even more so that I do not have a story to tell, no good example comes to mind. So why am I contributing. I think that the topic has not come up, being that conversation with a clueless non-firearm owner (I like that you used the word firearm and not weapon or gun). More so, I believe I’m simply lucky to be in the presence of open minded owners and non-owners of firearms or that is not a topic we discus openly and candidly. When in the company of folks that hunt and fish, other recreation, firearms or not, includes bows, crossbows and muzzle loaders, then we just talk about the positive stuff and if it’s a legitimate question where we can share our knowledge, I find we do without a second thought. I will share this thought, that when my older brother (who never looses an argument, even if he is wrong) starts into some form of debate of which I almost always do not want to be part of, my younger brother gave me some excellent advice. He said when in that situation… he changes the topic to discussions surrounding firearms and since my older brother is truly clueless and a non-firearm owner (as much as I am aware) on the topic the discussion ends there and a new one quickly started where he is much more versed. That’s all I have for now… :roll_eyes:

11 Likes

Sure. A short one. I invited my liberal dentist to a Saturday morning range session. He was hardcore anti-gun. To the point of being snarky and antagonistic with me about it, under a thin veil of it being a joke. He came to understand that gun enthusiasts are not a bunch of nuts and more importantly he saw the light in taking responsibility for defending himself and his family and not abdicating responsibility for that to some government agency. BTW: He’s Jewish and members of his family were rounded up and killed by Nazis. He said after shooting a few of my pistols and rifles that he felt ‘empowered’. We went and had a couple of beers and lunch after. Mission accomplished. Only ten million more to go.

On the other issue of preaching to the choir, I don’t think it can be repeated enough. The gun community is insular. We spend a lot of time talking to each other. There’s a legitimate feeling that as a community we need to circle the wagons. True to a point. But we are surrounded in great numbers by the uninformed. Those people also vote in great numbers and they think owning guns is a privilege that can be denied - like having a drivers license. The media is not going to inform and educate the public that the right to bear arms is the same as that of free speech, assembly and religion. Or that it is truly dangerous for us to be alienated from any of those rights. I believe it is our mission to preserve and protect the second amendment. We have to be gun evangelists and recruit converts. Because nobody else is going to do it. Or someday the government with the support of a majority actually will come and pry the guns from our cold dead fingers. I’d rather win the war than be a martyr to the cause.

8 Likes

Saddest i heard was in converation with a gun guy. He literally argued that AR stands for assualt rifle. Which is crazy he is a pro gun guy. And enjoys taking out new shooters.

9 Likes

At least he’s trying. I’m sure we can agree its best to gently educate a guy like that vs. correct him like an English schoolmaster. :slight_smile: We need all the friends we can get.

Closed minded people (right and left) never listen to anyone other than the sound of their own voice and it’s frustrating at times.

But I’d like to think that in most cases, reasonable minds prevail and most people are capable of reason. A lot of anti-gun people are only responding to what they have been told over and over. One thing is certain. It’s tough to change someone’s point of view when the conversation begins with, "Listen, dumbass… " That happens way too often and it’s not a good strategy.

7 Likes

I think I told the story before about a neighbor who thought it was illegal to reload your own ammunition and threatened to call the police on me. As politely as I could I encouraged her to go ahead and when she was arrested for filing a false police report to get back to me. After all I’ve heard that ignorance of the law is no excuse. “chirp chirp”

9 Likes

While it will not matter at all too many who prefer to believe in unicorns and ignore reality, it nevertheless is important to support your position with hard data. That way, you can unequivocally demonstrate just how few actually people die in mass shootings or through the use of “assault” weapons and other important facts. One critical concept is relative risk; i.e. the significance of the right being protected versus the potential adverse consequences – which in fact are minimal. We could limit traffic deaths dramatically with a 35 mph speed limit but the costs would be astronomical per life saved.

I created my website so that I would have that hard data readily available. It is not a commercial site and I pay out of pocket to host it. But you are welcome to use and link to anything you find useful there.

My personal favorite is to ask people early on to define a semi-automatic firearm. 8 out of 10 think it is fully automatic and have no clue regarding the distinction or the fact that a revolver is in most ways a semi-automatic; i.e. one trigger pull equals one round downrange. The sample survey on my website further highlights their ignorance. My second is to dump out a pile of cartridges, highlight the ubiquitous .22 LR then ask the person to identify the round for an “assault” weapon. They ALWAYS choose the 30-06 and I then show them the actual round and compare it to the .22 LR and also rounds like the .45 ACP. If I had one, I would include a .50 caliber in the mix expecting more than half to pick it.

11 Likes

We actually had a good laugh over it. Also goes qmy favorite quote. “Dont believe everything you think”

6 Likes

@fisher23112 Or see.

I had great boss when I was a young turk who frequently would say, “You know, or you think you know.” Stressing the importance of fact over opinion. That was good advice.

8 Likes

I often say “this is what I think I know”…because I know I’m subject to change. :grin:

10 Likes

I can barely use my finger and thumb for $5…

6 Likes

Hwy @Klugey1
Am a at a bit of a loss on your reference to which you are implying.
Can you be more specific? Thanks

5 Likes

Just being funny. Kindergarten Finger Gun…

6 Likes