M*CARBO Brotherhood

The "Shoot Me First" Vest

Here’s one to consider.

Howard

14 Likes

Great video. The same people who would call that a “shoot me first” vest are those that will tell you that openly carrying a firearm will cause the bad guy to shoot you before he robs the store he just entered. Great mythology.

8 Likes

It is amazing, the breadth and depth of crap some will peddle in order to deprive other people’s rights. And just about the time you think you’ve heard it all, another gem pops up.

Good work as always, HR.

9 Likes

I have to add this. When I read the tag line for your posting, I assumed (before watching) that you were demonstrating some new product…though I did find the name a bit off-putting. I mean, you really need to fire your marketing department if that’s the product name they’ve come up with… :rofl:

5 Likes

I don’t open carry because I just don’t want any potential hassles, “shoot me first” or not. But, I’d never condone anyone else for doing it. Sometimes, it really is just a person’s thought about themselves and that’s where it begins and ends.

5 Likes

That coupled with a bucket load of fear and ignorance. People fear what they don’t understand and with the politicians and talking heads as their only source, they’re not going to get good information. I’ve often said they should teach firearm safety in schools, knowledge is power and reduces or eliminates the fear.

12 Likes

@hrfunk As usual, good information Howard.

6 Likes

When I was in High School in the mid-1960s, I would sling my bolt-action .22 rifle over my shoulder, get on the streetcar and head to school … because there was a rifle range in the school basement where we learned how safely and effectively handle firearms. Try that today and you’ll get to meet SWAT up close and personal.

9 Likes

I genuinely like seeing open carry. It makes me feel like I’m amongst “my people”, especially in rural areas. My main concern is with the “Karens” of the world who would “complain to a manger” if/when she saw my open carry and/or confront me directly about “why do I need that thing?” type bullcrap. It’s not my job to educate them and I’m simply not going to do it. Don’t need it, don’t want it. It wouldn’t matter with those types anyway and it would probably just escalate the situation. Nope…

8 Likes

When those people ask me why I carry a firearm, I ask them why do they carry a spare tire in their car. Do you plan to get a flat tire today or do you carry a spare incase you have a flat tire today ! I’ve noticed only about 5% are truly interested in why you carry, the rest are just on the anti-gun agenda platform.

12 Likes

Go Swiss GO !!! Education and decision making skills…

5 Likes

I wouldn’t even waste the time with that. Great way to escalate the situation, too, especially when they think you’re sassing them which, in a way, is what that would be.

4 Likes

SH*T happens every day somewhere in the world. If they ask, I’ll answer their question. I wouldn’t want to be rude !

3 Likes

It won’t even get to any question phase with me. :+1:

2 Likes

People seldom approach me to ask why I carry. When they do, I politely let them know that I am my own First Responder and am primarily responsible for my own safety and the safety of my wife. It’s just like having a first aid kit in the car because by the time the ambulance arrives it may be too late and, as we know, when seconds count, the police are minutes away.

5 Likes

@JamesCanby You are to kind with your response to why you carry when asked. I on the other hand knowing at one time I may have an idiot that want to confront me on the issue, When asked I politely tell them to pound sand. Do not argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you up with experience.

5 Likes

I understand your point, and there ARE idiots out there who want to be confrontational, and I don’t spend any effort trying to convince them.

But there are others who are genuinely curious about why I carry and the “instructor” in me tries to educate them as to why I carry. Even here in very liberal Northern VA, I seldom get confronted, neither by civilians nor by police. We enhance our cause by being Ambassadors for self defense preparedness without disparaging a politely asked question.

6 Likes

Trying to do so is akin to attempting to put out a raging forest fire by peeing on it after drinking a sixer…

You make a good point here that I was thinking about with some of the previous posts. I get the frustration of dealing with the questions, particularly when the person is confrontational. But Brother James is taking the high road here and it might have benefits for all of us.

If someone is confrontational with you and you give them guff in return, understand that you are likely feeding their fire, you are fulfilling their image of the “evil gun lover” they despise, the stereotype we are all likely painted with by default. By being more diplomatic in your response (or possibly not responding at all), you “break the mold” so to speak and they do not get the satisfaction of you being what they expect you to be. They may still not like you, they may still not get it, but you’ve represented all gun owners and packers in a better light with your behavior. At the least a break even, at best a small win in our column.

I am saying this with no carry experience, but I’ve had plenty of people get confrontational with me for just stating that I own and shoot guns at the range (which I’ve always found odd). When I was growing up, this was unheard of…in fact, I feel like people trusted you less if you didn’t range shoot (at least), if not hunt…as if firearms were some kind of universal secret code for, “he’s okay”

5 Likes

I’m not so sure. Most of the firearms people I know would rather a potential adversary not know they’re armed. Many who flaunt open carry are the ones I don’t want to be my representative to the non-firearm community.

I rarely open carry but I’m usually dressed in business attire and/or I’m with LEO, so my appearance with a sidearm isn’t shocking. I’m not wearing ragged blue jeans and a wife beater and I’m not trying to make people notice I’m armed. I might get a glance, but that’s it.

When I see someone dressed less than neatly and just about demanding you to notice they’re carrying, they ramp my awareness state up as much as any other potential threat because their attitude might provoke a situation and I don’t want to be around them if it happens. I sure as hell don’t want people to think I’m a - let’s call it what it is - redneck.

Now, I happen to like rednecks, they’re more my kind of people than many college educated dweebs, but I don’t like hanging around with someone who gets mean when they’re drunk or who go looking to start a fight. I’m old and fragile and break easily.

6 Likes

What if some of your redneck friends are college educated dweebs? :grinning:

6 Likes