M*CARBO Brotherhood

The SCCY Handgun

This is a close look at the Sccy 9mm Handgun. I am told by some members that the Sccy is a knock-off of the Kel Tec 9mm. I can not speak to this as I have never shot, worked on, or handled the Kel Tec. I have shot and worked on Ruger’s LCP, and shot the Sccy. If the members would like me to cover the LCP, I will do this in a different post.
I came by the Sccy when my friend and gun shop owner was going out of business. I bough the Sccy more as a favor to hem than filling a need of mine. The Sccy sit in the safe until it was time to go to my brother-n-laws home for a shooting week. I try to take interesting guns for us to shoot. This time it was a custom Ruger Black Hawk in 41 mag., a custom Star PD 45apc.,CZ85 with a Kadet 22cal. slide, A very pistolsmithed Ruger Sec. Six in 357 mag. and last the untested Sccy. We ended one day with pistol poker. I let the brothers shot
my Ruger and Kadet as well as a Kimber 45ape. I decided to shoot the Sccy. not expecting to win any matches. Not the case, I won the next four with this little short barrel gun.
Why did I do so well shooting the Sccy? First the Sccy fits well in my hand. When I pull the trigger the front sight does not move. The rest of the reason is in the build of the Sccy. The gun locks up tight! Running a bore scoop in the barrel reviled tooling marks. This is present with my #2 Sccy also. A good shooting gun with a barrel with tool marks? A little investigation reveled that Sccy machine their barrels after heat treatment. No one else that I know about does this. Tooling cost must be 50% higher for Sccy over machining a soft barrel. If you machine the barrel after heat treating you will have a more stable, accurate barrel with a good chance of tool marks. A side note Sccy makes their own mags. What start-up company does this?
Now lets talk about reliability, I have put over 1,000 rounds of factory and reloads through the black Sccy. It as has had zero failures, granted this would have been better if it was 10,000 rounds. Well facts are facts.
I use the Sccy when I train new shooter and others who want to shoot better. I have found the Sccy is just about perfect as a training pistol with Laserlite targets. I have no idea how many times the black Sccy has been dryfired, its has to be way up there. So there you have it.

I review products as a help to the members. In no cases do I receive an commission for my reviews. I call it as I see it based on my experience. If I mention a product that you would like to know about ask and I will give it my best shot. R S

7 Likes

@RodSlinger Gary I have never handled the SCCY CPX models. Can you tell me about the trigger pull? Are the slots in the backstrap for cushioning effect? Silver slide model is nice.

2 Likes

Thanks for keeping it to just the pistol review this time. :+1:

I’ve handled a SCCY, but never shot one. It’s very closely related in function and form to the Kel-Tec P-11, which I do own. SCCY was started by former employees of Kel-Tec.

4 Likes

I second @Wedge :+1:

I’ve shot my buddy’s sccy and it was like a DAK(double action kellerman) trigger , I think once you master it, it can be great but I’m more of a striker fire or DA/SA kind of guy.

3 Likes

Good questions Don I have not measured the trigger pull weight but it is heavy. Having said that every one that shoots the gun does not have a problem with the trigger after they learn the how to manage the grip. I think the slots in the backstrap are eye candy. R S

2 Likes

Thank you for allowing me to stay on the pistol as I tried to do the first time. Things work better when the members have a little freedom. R S

3 Likes

@RodSlinger You got it. Just no need for any extra “fluff” added. :wink:

1 Like

I do plan to see how much I can reduced the trigger pull and keep reliability when I can work on the gun. R S

3 Likes

@Don68 It is heavy at about 8 pounds. If you shut your eyes it feels like a double action revolver . With a little use you learn to love it. Just got back from shooting a few mags. Great fun, very accurate and easy concealed carry. 10 plus 1 , not bad for such a small gun.

5 Likes

I wonder if the wide metal trigger blade cover from Kel-Tec for the P-11 would fit. It made a noticeable difference on my P-11. The trigger felt lighter because it spread out the trigger pull area.

3 Likes

Wedge how much wider is this part. I have not seen one. This is old school stuff. It does give the impression of a lighter trigger. R S

3 Likes

@Wedge Never thought about it. It won’t matter if Chris makes a trigger kit for it.

2 Likes

Hello… I own SCCY CPX 2 as well. The trigger pull is quite heavy but not any worse to me than a double action revolver. I actually am more accurate with it than I am with my Glocks and My Xd 9. I enjoy shooting the SCCY more often than not. I have never had a single issue with it as well. I read somewhere that the ribs on the back of the grip were there to help absorb recoil… true or not … I can’t tell you… :wink: Glad you are enjoying yours too!

5 Likes

@RodSlinger I don’t know how much wider is it, but it’s significantly wider than the thin plastic stock trigger. The one in the link below looks a bit different than mine that I got 10+ years ago. It looks to have a ridged face while mine is smooth. It also appears to be thinner than mine because Kel-Tec shows it for both the P-11 and PF-9. They said to not use my version on the PF-9 because it could snag and cause a ND when holstering. The PF-9, being a single stack, is a lot thinner than the P-11 and it would have stuck out wider on either side than the frame/slide.

https://www.keltecweapons.com/trigger-shoe-175

2 Likes

Bought one. Trigger was god awful. Sold it

2 Likes

It’s not for everyone, such as me…

1 Like

If it’s anything like the trigger on the P-11, and I’m betting it is, it’s an acquired taste…one that I never acquired… And, I’ve had it since 2005.

2 Likes

No it is literally like a 15lb da trigger

1 Like

Yes, just like the Kel-Tec P-11. That’s what I meant by “I never acquired a taste for it”. The trigger sucked because it was so heavy.

With a 15lb trigger it needed to go back to the factory. My two are at seven lbs. for the older and right at eight lbs.for the new one. Once I get a chance to work on the fire control system. (note I did not say hammer spring). I am thinking 5 to 6 lbs. is obtainable. We will see. I am in no hurry as the trigger does not affect my accuracy of the gun. Like I said it is a good platform to teach a new shooter to manage a handgun. R S

3 Likes