M*CARBO Brotherhood

The New Recoilless Charging Handle

All Things SUB-2000! Got my new recoilless charging handle but the video doesn’t show the silver locking pin in it. Where does this little booger go? Thanks

7 Likes

@Farrier1

Welcome to the MCarbo Brotherhood. Hope this helps… I believe this is the pin you are talking about??? :+1:

https://youtu.be/Mp9yJFfZ_hs

5 Likes

@Farrier1

Welcome to the Brotherhood. Don’t forget to go to the First Post Here: Introduce Yourself! thread and say Hi to everybody.

5 Likes

@Farrier1 Welcome to the Brotherhood. That pin is a nice addition to the charging handle, makes the handle feel much more solid and “locked in”, no longer hanging there on the end of the spring via tension.

5 Likes

It can be a little tricky, the first few times, at least it was for me! YOU CAN DO IT!

5 Likes

Sure is! Somehow I hadn’t been able to find this new video. All I could find was the old one. Thanks a million Lonewolf!

6 Likes

I installed the complete All In One kit just fine but this little booger had me stumped as to the installation and frankly the usefulness. Trying to decide if the headache of puttin it in and takin it out is worth it. What are y’alls thoughts?

5 Likes

@Farrier1

Glad to be of help! You will find all sorts of resources on here… I do not claim to have ‘any’ knowledge on SUB2K’s. I have a interest of building one when I can find an 80%. I have recently built (2) Custom 10/22’s and I have a Polymer 80 lower awaiting a .556 7" Pistol build up. Many of us are ‘itching’ from the Build Bug!!! :smiley:

5 Likes

I honestly didn’t have much trouble putting it in (though I thought it would present more of a challenge than it did). And I didn’t use the grease method or anything, just dropped it in the hole in the bolt and use a long shaft flat screwdriver to get it locked in the charging handle hole. All that said, I haven’t tried to remove it yet, and aside from a good cleaning every now and then I’m hoping I don’t have a reason to do so. I suspect once the pressure of the recoil spring is relieved, it should almost fall out with an inversion of the buttstock/bolt tube and some slight persuasion (tapping of the bolt tube on work surface).

I really feel this pin is a good upgrade, I always thought the charging handle (especially now with the heavier recoiless MCARBO version) being held by only the end of the recoil spring was a little on the hokie side, a bit of a weak point.

5 Likes

@Farrier1, you can get away with running the charging handle without that little locking pin. That being said, it is in there much more solid with it. Once you do it a few times it becomes second nature and not a problem. I have the pin in both of mine and wouldn’t think of running my recoiless charging handles without it.

6 Likes

I had a hell of a time, the first time installing it. But once you get the “feel” of it, it goes in pretty easy.
You have to kinda eye-ball it, then pull out on a bit on the charging handle til you get that “click”.
Once it locks in, you will know. It is way more stable and secure feeling, than without it. Good luck.

6 Likes

Put it in today. Actually wasn’t as big of a pain as I figured it would be. Just dropped it down in there then took a long narrow standard screwdriver and turned it til I felt it lock. It is rock solid and, although skeptical at first, I do like it!

7 Likes

@Farrier1 Fortunately, it seems the guys at MCARBO toleranced the pin tightly enough to the recoil spring bore in the bolt that it’s kind of hard to get the thing to flip around or tumble as you drop it in.

6 Likes

@Farrier1 welcome to the brotherhood

6 Likes

Couldn’t they just make a replacement end piece for the recoil spring that had the pin on it? Insert charging handle into bolt. Slide in spring with pin forward, rotate spring until pin fits into hole in bolt, voila…

5 Likes

I have one of these recoil less handles in a 9mm and 40cal … Installed prior to the pin system … Today after about 500 rds down range the handle broke using the 9, snapped off where it exits the bolt … Now I am considering removing the other one form 40 a well, I don’t need this type of failure unexpectedly … Has anyone had this same problem ? …

8 Likes

@Firedog Had an original double finger charging handle break a long time ago. Sent MCARBO an e-mail and they replaced it within a week with no questions asked. They had a problem with the steel that was used which has been changed. Since then they added the pin. I keep the O.E.M handle close by just in case.

8 Likes

MCarbo was nice enough to send me a replacement handle without any hassles, Thank you MCarbo … This one has a piece that fits inside the hollowed out portion of the stem … Haven’t yet had the opportunity to install and try it , but I will by tomorrow … Now I am wondering if this one works without any issues, if the previous version can be retro fitted with this insert piece ? …

7 Likes

OK … I finally got the pin installed into the newer version handle … It took a little bit of time to install it, but that was probably because this was first one I have installed … Now that I have a feel for it, it shouldn’t be that bad … Now its going to be a matter of testing it at the range to see if this handle holds up … I also test fitted the pin into the older style hand and it also appeared to fit into the slot on it as well, I did not fit this into the bolt using the older style … The concept seems to be a pretty good one, this adds more metal to the stem and strengthening it … There will be a slight amount a time that needs to be added to the field dressing, cleaning and re-installation processes, but if it works … it will be worth the added effort …

6 Likes