M*CARBO Brotherhood

The Making of a Firearm Video

Just in case any of you ever wondered what goes into making these videos…

Howard

17 Likes

@hrfunk It’s hard to keep up in reading all the posts, and some slip past.
I feel I owe you an apology Howard, for just now seeing this post myself, and for no other readers thanking you before this…
So first, thank you for this video. :+1: . You have my personal thanks, for taking the time to produce a (35 Minute) segment on the subject.

I know how hard it is to put everything together with a one man media crew. Just to assure everyone out there…It’s not that damn easy to make a quality film. And it’s a damn sight harder alone…
H.R. puts a great deal of work and pride into his productions, and the reason I know that is because it shows…

8 Likes

No apology necessary Jeff. I got the idea for this video while I was watching a “Making of” video of a Hollywood movie with my daughter. I thought maybe some folks might be interested in seeing what goes into producing a firearm video for youtube. Thank you for the kind words.

Howard

8 Likes

Like @jeffing65, must admit I missed this one as well. Nice job, HR. I suspect many have no idea what goes into putting these things together.

I noticed your “production assistant” didn’t have much to say… :grinning:

7 Likes

I missed this in my absence, thanks for digging it back up very cool😎

6 Likes

No, I usually only hear from him around 2:30 AM when he has to go out!

Howard

6 Likes

@hrfunk
But you can always count on, without fail or even looking to see, that he’s still standing (sitting, laying, or lounging maybe) at your side, when all others have been routed, given up, or changed their loyalty and allegiance. :service_dog: :man_standing:

3 Likes

I really enjoyed this presentation and learning what goes into your production. The cool part is that you have accomplished this “on your own”. Nothing like “Yankee Ingenuity” at its finest.

Thank you once again for getting it done masterfully. Also, thank you for your daughters integrated piano insertions…well done to both of you.

Ahhhh give the dog a bone for me too!

Keep up the great work!

4 Likes

Thank you so much! My video production really is a labor of love. My greatest motivation is the community I enjoy with my viewers. Thanks to all of you for watching and commenting.

Howard

6 Likes

Howard…Do you plan to list the equipment and costs to get involved with making a high quality video? I know some equipment people may already have…but it would be useful information. IMHO

3 Likes

I hadn’t considered doing that. Most of what I use is visible in the video. My primary recording devices are my iPad and my iPhone. I use a Rode directional microphone that plugs into the lightening charger port of either one. I’ve got several tripods (and always seem to need more than I have!). In my shop, I’ve installed some additional lights, and occasionally I use the Aimcam glasses to get a “shooter’s perspective”. That’s really about it. I try to keep things pared down to the bare minimum because I’m constantly taking things with me, and then bringing them all back home. I can usually fit all my gear (except the tripods) in a backpack. That makes it easier to transport. The biggest thing I think I’ve done to improve my videos over time is learning to use my iPad / iPhone and my editing software better.

Howard

5 Likes

Don’t you mean “studio”? :grinning:

If you don’t mind, what software suite are you using?

4 Likes

Everything I do is on Apple’s iMovie. I still don’t think I’m using it to it’s full potential, but I’m getting better with it.

Howard

5 Likes

@hrfunk Thank you Howard. I was wondering that too.

Also @anyone. Is there anyone out there that has a dark room and develops film? 8mm and 16mm in particular.

1 Like

I traded a buddy out of a nice old ITE tripod and head yesterday… This is it with my Bolex H8 8mm film camera mounted on it.

3 Likes