M*CARBO Brotherhood

Texas Star Using Clay Pigeons

Just made a Texas star target, using clay pigeons. Have not shot it yet, but it should work. I don’t think it will rotate as fast as the Texas star target, using steel plates, but it should turn, you might have to start out shooting a bottom target to get it moving.

18 Likes

That’s a great idea. Better than ‘exploding ‘ targets and probably as satisfying as a good Ding!:+1:

7 Likes

I’m going to need range video and I’m probably going to need a parts list and plans too - I like!

9 Likes

@denniscoon I’ve used those stands and the ones I have don’t grip the pigeons very tightly. I hope the first hit doesn’t cause them all to fall off because this is a great idea. Please keep us posted on your range testing.

7 Likes

I have 4 new holders and one that has been shot up a bit. If they fall I have rubber bands made out of motorcycle inner tubes to hold them in place…have to see what happens.

9 Likes

@denniscoon Hell Dennis, if it doesn’t work out you still have a nice flower garden ornament.:wink:

7 Likes

That is a great idea even for regular use of those holders and one that I will use. Thanks

7 Likes

Update on clay pigeon Texas star. I went to the range today and shot my Texas Star. Good news, the pigeons did not fall off of the holders while spinning. If I shot at any of the top targets, the star would only move about 1/3 of a turn and stop, if I shot the bottom targets the star would really start to spin. I used my Sub 2000 and was shooting at 40 yds. I moved closer, about 15 yards and used my 1911 45 auto. I managed to shoot the pipe, put in a large dent, no harm. I did manage to shoot one of the 3/16 rods holding the rubber pigeon holder, it shattered the hub, and destroyed the rod. I have now made the hub from 1 inch Starboard I had laying around, going to see how that works. I did shoot all 5 pigeons with my 45, couldn’t do it with the Sub 2000 from 40 yds.

10 Likes

@denniscoon you know, considering that a texas star runs about $750 thats not all bad…:grin::+1:

3 Likes

Back when I was on the job we had build a range where we could do a bit of actions shooting: had a running man and a target that could pop up from behind a barricade. So the first time we took a bunch of people out to shot the VERY first shooter hits the wire that holds up the running man, that wire was a good 6 feet ABOVE the target. Cut the wire dead in the middle of the course so we could not jury rig it. Needless to say there were a few of us that were mighty pissed off at the idiot. Ugggh

3 Likes