M*CARBO Brotherhood

Taurus G2c - Is it any good?

Howard, you have motivated me to get started on this.
I’ve ordered this Straight SAO Short Stroke Trigger.
I’ll dig up the SS Striker Guide I ordered from Lakeline.
I ordered it with the SS recoil assembly, but didn’t install it.
Next will be getting the G3 barrel, and porting or threading.
And a RDS mounting plate once I decide which red dot I want.

3 Likes

Talked to Taurus today. They won’t sell me a barrel. It’s a serialized part.
Unless a 3rd party makes one, I’ll be out of luck on this part of the plan.

2 Likes

@ValorSolo
Nice try✌️
Don’t give up✌️

2 Likes

I’ve been happy with my Taurus PT111 G2. I did find that it doesn’t care for reloads and is doesn’t like certain brands of JHP rounds.

Nice review, I will have to look for your TX22 review as I bought one and have not had a chance to shoot it…

4 Likes

I have a newer G2C in OD Green, bought it from KGC. Runs flawlessly through one box of Ammo. I would like to start trading and selling with private parties. Can anybody recommend where I can do that besides ODT?

1 Like

After I installed a Lakeline LLC recoil spring on my PT 111 G2, I insert a loaded mag of jhp and it will not feed the first round until I drop the magazine and then the bullet goes into battery. After that it feeds perfectly while I’m firing it. Any suggestions? Thank you.

2 Likes

Never touched a Taurus G2c. But your description tells me the top round is dragging against the slide.

First try inserting with slide locked back to see if it’ll strip that top round.

Second, bump your palm against the back of the slide to see if a little nudge finds battery.

Everybody’s least favorite solution … download the mag by one round till you get some more wear on that mag spring.

5 Likes

You could also reinstall the original recoil spring and see if it functions properly with that.

Howard

5 Likes

Got the flat trigger installed. Done away with most of the travel.
Haven’t shot it yet, but it feels much improved dry firing it.

5 Likes

Good! The trigger on my test pistol was, as I mentioned, serviceable, but it could have been better. It looks like you cured that problem with yours.

Howard

2 Likes

Thanks Howard. It’s becoming a better pistol with each modification I find.
I’ve done a little more tinkering. And have some information to share.
You may or may not be aware of the compatibility of several magazines.
Any P226 mag works flawlessly, as do the G3 mags. These I have tested.
I’ve read and watched video of the G2c running TP9 mags, as well.

I was going to order a few more 17 round G3 mags and some mag sleeves.
But today I started playing with some spare 15 round P226 mags I have.
Already had the sleeves to fit these mags also. Haven’t used them in a while.

I discovered the follower from the 12 round G2c mags will fit the P226 mags.
And increase the capacity by 1, almost 2 rounds. Now I have three 16 round mags.
I haven’t fired these yet, but the action on them is very smooth and easy to push.
No signs of the follower wanting to hang or get stuck. And very easy to load.

3 Likes

That’s interesting. I was not aware of the magazine compatibility. Let me know how they run.

Howard

3 Likes

Not very good at all. Not enough spring pressure, maybe.
I could spend money on stronger springs, but don’t think I will.
I’ll just put the P226 followers back in, run them as 15 rounders.
I will buy a few G3 17 rd mags and a couple of sleeves, later on.

2 Likes

Well, it was a worthwhile effort. At least now you know.

Howard

3 Likes

Taurus has released the G3c recently. An updated G2c.
Better trigger “feel” and other improvements added.

Almost forgot the best improvement is the sights.
Steel, notch rear, dot front, with Glock style dovetails.
Easy to swap out with your favorite Glock sights.

4 Likes

I heard about that. It looks like the upgrades pretty much covered the things about the G2c I didn’t care for. If I get lucky, maybe I can get a G3c to review.

Howard

4 Likes

I on the other hand had a bad experience with my G2C. I purchased a new G2C on May 3rd and right out of the box was problem after problem. To list a few I had dead trigger, lite primer strikes, no re striking capability and the gun printed 4 to 6 inches low at 7 yard using a bench rest. I sent it back to Taurus on May 6th and I am still waiting for an answer.

2 Likes

Yours may be the only negative I’ve ever read on these.
I hope Taurus gets it straightened out for you soon.
Every manufacturer has a few lemons, no exceptions.
So I also hope this doesn’t ruin Taurus’ image for you.
I have three and they are all high quality firearms.
I plan on getting the new G3c at some point.

3 Likes

@ValorSolo

I keep hearing nothing but good things about the Taurus G3 (not sure if it was the “c” version). Price seems to be in the mid $300’s. If you get one, please let us know how you like it.

I have had several Taurus Judges and a Raging Judge with basically no issues (the Raging Judge’s trigger stuck back one time after firing a cylinder full of .454 Casull’s - it was the first time I had ever fired such a hot load thru it). I just had to wriggle the trigger a bit and it snapped back into place. No further issues with the gun.

2 Likes

The G2C came back from Taurus today. Barrel, sights and recoil spring were replaced. Nothing was said about the lite primer strikes or the occasionally dead trigger. I will try it out tomorrow if I am not satisfied I will go trade it in.

1 Like