M*CARBO Brotherhood

Tales From The Gun Range

What I am going for is a shift in the paradigm away from the down range target and placing the focus on the shooter.

This is a solid barricade course that will emphasise proper cover techniques, quick decision making, has an element of surprise, as well as speed and accuracy.

Expensive race gear will give you little advantage and in some cases would be a clear detriment.

My goal is to set a single stage and let participants run it again and again to perfect cover and footwork technique.

I made the barricades 5’ for safety reasons. (I want to see shooters heads as they move down range). Clearing the maze is an absolute necessity for the RSO!

Making a shoot house looks like to me. All ya need now is a door or two to kick down!! :grin:

@russ your absolutely right! :grin:

I think I said somewhere this not an original concept.

Just wanted a modular one that could be quickly set up for a stage and configured any way you want.

Doors are coming! Think about it…how do you open a door with a long gun? There is a technique to it. (And no @GOBLIN you can’t just shoot through the door first!) :astonished:

It has to be safe. It has to be fairly cheap and easy to set up. But I want to recreate corridors and corners to train students/competition. :grin:

Truth be told, John I think it is a dang good idea. Thinking about building some panels to use on the “old Geezer” range here at home. We Shot today and there were 9 of us. One was a young 25 yr old LEO that blew us all away. We have been looking for something that could emulate a building/house to train for self defense but wouldn’t be permanent. Thanks!! :clap: :+1: :+1:

Well the building is done for now. Price actually came out well below my initial estimate. So thats good.

Just need to run my shot gunners through it to see what problems there are and to make sure it can be done safely!

I hope I can get someone to film a video for you guys will try my best. :grin:

@Johnksg breacher tip and blow the lock out, or a “bean bag” , or sledge hammer :rofl: det cord :smiling_imp:
only every once in a while , great while, do you find a door reinforced the right way. if ya do, and you decide to John Wayne it, your knee and ankle are done…
this always works too, but it might skuff the rest of your panels…

@GOBLIN I know how your mind works brother! (Which reminds me I need to get a psychological evaluation soon.). Yeah doors are death traps. So much better to just blow a hole through the wall!

But…

In the case where there are civies, noncombatants, children, etc it is not an option.

Also not an option for your average home owner! LOL

One of the things I want to address in this defensive tactical course is the issue of doors. One thing that folks forget that if you are the defender the doors typically swing inwards working against you. It changes the entire dynamic.

As I get further along I would really appreciate any input and advice from my hard chargers and gunslingers out there!

P.S. I don’t know if I mentioned this but all shooting occurs at a distance of under 30 yards. (Depth of my three-sided action bay).

Here is my stage map for Friday. Pretty simple! :grinning:

(Two of my targets will have a 10x12" no shoot area simulating body armor. Minimum round count 14 rounds pistol/rifle and 7 rounds shotgun.)

on the door, you could make em work for their “hits” have the door open to the right instead of the left, have a target in their blind spot (in the room where the door blocks visibility, or door open to a hallway both sides “kill zone” with target to corner right or left, they can be 1001 ways to be absolutely diabolical with a door entry… you could change the entry every run to keep em on their toes, instead of learning a preset-pattern… cause no 2 houses will ever be exactly the same. you could do a window entry the same…

So my 7 year old walks into the shop.

"what you doing dad?"
"I’m making stands for my new barricades."

He studies it for all of 30 seconds…"won’t they stand up on their own if they are at right angles?"

…???
…!!!
…#$%&@!#!

Okay, so because either my 7year old is a genius or his dad is a flipping drooling idiot, it now costs about $17 per panel all in.

@johnksg piano hinge that corner so you can make right angles and straight walls. Keep the stands for straight walls :+1:t2:

@Johnksg Senior moment John. :wink:

L brackets work for straight as long as have one panel at a straight angle. You just off-set slightly.

Well all done. Built a grand total of 8 barricades, three stands (we won’t talk about that) and cut and stapled together two cases of IDPA targets as well as built 12 new target stands…all of it fits neatly in the back of my truck. :grin::+1:

I can stack em flat, and they light enough my 7 year old can load them.

Btw…for you gun slingers out there, I hope you guys thank your RMs, ROs, and RSOs every once in awhile for the behind the scenes work they do! :clap:

Fixed @Johnksg here you go buddy :+1:t2:

Well Saturday was a DMG shoot and while I wasn’t expecting to be an RSO I ended up replacing the scheduled RSO.

Things went off the rails pretty quick.

First, there were a number of new shooters. There was even a trio of shooters each with their own holster sharing one gun! (I have never seen that before…plenty of folks with pistol and no holster).

The course required shooters to run out of the the berm area from one bay to the next with a hot weapon, muzzle pointed down range. (Again I did not start the course I picked up half way through the stage).

It was a challenging short course with texas stars, swingers, double poppers, lots of no shoots and some extreme angles.

I had the RM redo one of the stages several times until I was satisfied it met minimum safe standards. But since I was not present when the course was set up and joined it in progress my input was limited.

There was an unintended discharge of a shotgun while on the move between bays…right into a barricade.

So what was learned?

1. RM’s you may be a national level gunslinger, but unless you are running an invitational, or some otherwise restricted event you must plan on unskilled shooters! Design your course accordingly.

2. ROs - regardless of the size of the event (this was small only 16 shooters) always have TWO safety officers! Just in case one cannot complete the competition you have another who can run the course.

3. RSOs - first it is never a good idea to join an event in progress that you did not have a chance to inspect stage set-up or confer with the RM. And while no one wants to cancel an event, especially when most shooters drove 2 hours to get there, a safety pause or a “time-out” to bring the new RSO up to speed is appropriate. (This was my mistake!)

4. Competitors - a match is really not the best place to try a new skill! Just because you saw something on YouTube or you see a National level shooter doing it does not mean you can do it! Practice practice practice!

Good news is our club is learning from our mistake and major structural changes are underway that will make our events safer and more realistic. :grin::+1:

I thought I would post a video showing the difference between course design and philosophy.

This first video shows a stage that is pretty typical of these types of events, high round counts, multiple weapons, forced reloads, and targets that are simply unrealistic.

The second video is what I am striving for. Fewer targets, a plausible engagement scenario, with a single weapon that is run again and again as the student focuses on a single skill.

Gun safety, shooter safety, range safety, weapon and ammunition care maintenance and inspection, concentration and focus on what your doing, always following the checklist of safety procedures and precautions, and being a qualified and contentious gun owner and shooter… WILL NOT AND DOES NOT INSURE OR GUARANTEE YOUR SAFETY!!!

Last Sunday turned out nice. The weather had finally dried up and the wind had stopped for a day, so in the afternoon I drove out to the nearby desert area where I target practice, brass hunt etc. This is a small area (4 sq miles or so) that has been used by everyone, for shooting, 4-wheeling, motor biking, hiking, high school keg parties and ? for longer than the 50+ years that I have been doing that there.
But in recent years the immense increase in population, combined with the complete lack of responsibility, respect or regard for anything or anyone by that population, has led to large amounts of dumping, criminal activity at night, and made a dangerous place in the day, by irresponsible people that apparently can buy all kinds of nice and expensive guns along with plenty of ammo to shoot through them, without knowing Shit or Shine’ola about anything. Unfortunately, all that has led to people wanting all shooting banned, all motorized off road vehicles restricted to the road, etc. But back to safety and last Sunday.

I am very cautious and aware of my environment and where I’m at in it when I am out the area and especially when out of my rig and on foot. I try to always maintain a position below median elevation and behind protective terrain to prevent being in any possible path of a fired or ricocheting bullet. (and ricochets are very, very common).
So here is what happens. There are no shooters around me, in my immediate little area where I stop, so I am out doing a quick walking around for brass. I’m about 10 minutes into my circle walk and back within 60-70 feet of my Jeep, when there is a deafening report. This is followed by a bullet, vaporizing atmosphere past me “between the eyes high” and no more than 2 feet to my left, after which it impacted into the bank behind me.

I will stop here for the moment. I will follow with a 2nd post finishing the story, along with some satellite picks, measurements, and a description of events as they happened.

I am in no way contradicting your story. But as a guy who has been “down range” it is actually the other way around. You hear the bullet first and then the report of the gun. :grin::+1:

(It is easy to get mixed up though, especially if it is your first time.)

I am looking forward to the “rest of the story” as old Paul Harvey would say.

I couldn’t and wouldn’t dispute that at all. During the moment in time of the report, the sound of the bullet passing me, and its impact right behind me, of which I completely recollect even if in reverse order, a third thing happened that I never perceived or have any sense of at all now.
At the end of that moment, I found myself on my hands and knees, in one of the wheel ruts that was 16 inches or so wide and 4-5 inches of freezing mud and water.