T/C Pro Hunter: Who’s Shooting One?

WhatI use this system alot. Have all barrels set up to use the same scope using Warne QD mounts. Im curious if this is common or does everyone buy a scope for each barrel?

5 Likes

I’m not shooting the Pro Hunter. But I do own a contender with 3 different barrels. Because the calibers are so different I chose to scope each barrel. My .223 has a Burris 2x7, and both the 30-30 and 45-70 each have Luepold 4x scopes.

4 Likes

You using the pistol or rifle configuration on that Cont. ?
I should have specified, I use rifle length barrels. :+1:t3:

4 Likes

All of mine are the Super 14 pistol barrels.

6 Likes

Ive always said if I was going to hunt with a pistol, I’d have a Contender.

5 Likes

same with my contender, all S-14s, my favorite is the 45/70 but i lean toward irons on em… so far anyway…

4 Likes

That 45/70 is an awesome cartridge out of the contender, a true fire breathing dragon.

2 Likes

I carry the contender 45/70 with the Ruger #1 45/70 huntin. just have to carry one ammo, cause they bouth shoot the Loads i do well. My second favorite, on the contender to shoot, is 6 mm rem mag. (barrel by MGM) third is the 221 Fireball… ooohhh baby thats a tack driver. second favorite for hunting? 7/30 waters.

which brings me to a question, ive asked before, but never got a answer to, If i put a rifle stock on my contender does it make it a single shot SBR? or if I add a barrel over 16 does it convert it to a AOW? and in theory, if I had a 12 GA 14" barrel made, would it be considered a Sawed off shotgun with the contender grip?
asked a ATF agent that once, and the answer I got was "WHY would you do that its a single shot. that was it. i can fire my singles, ruger #1s, Contenders, and H&Rs, 4 rounds as fast as any bolt gun in the market. (takes practice, hold 3 rounds between the fingers of the off hand.)

2 Likes

I actually asked Thompson Center arms about the barrel lengths. Their answer was if it has a rifle stock on it, it must be a 16" barrel or you wold have to have a tax stamp for an SBR. Likewise, it must be longer than 26" OAL length to be considered a rifle. Smooth bore shotguns must have an 18" or longer barrel.

3 Likes

@GOBLIN,
Here is a longer more accurate description from the web.
AOW is a complex and often misunderstood category of NFA firearms. Less obvious examples of AOW devices include:

Short-barreled shotguns manufactured without a shoulder stock (less than 26" overall length)

They are smooth-bore handguns which fire shot shells, not shotguns, which must be designed to be fired from the shoulder.

Pistols with a second vertical grip

Many pistols feature a rail below the barrel, commonly used to mount a laser or flashlight. Attaching a vertical grip to this rail constitutes the manufacturing of an AOW firearm, as it is “no longer designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand.”[20] It is therefore illegal to place an aftermarket vertical foregrip on any pistol without first registering it as an AOW and paying the $200 “making and registering tax”. Failure to do so is a felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison.[20] However, if the receiver was originally manufactured to accept either a long or short barrel and a removal buttstock and fore grip and it can be assembled either as a rifle or a pistol, according to ATF rule 2011-4 it is not considered an NFA weapon as long as it is only assembled as a pistol without a buttstock or as a rifle with a barrel at least 16 inches long.[21] A vertical foregrip MAY be added to a pistol as long as the Overall Length (OAL) is greater than 26", regardless of barrel length, and providing the weapon remains unconcealed.[22] An AR-15 pistol with an overall length of 26" or longer may have a vertical foregrip installed, as long as no buttstock is installed in conjunction with a shorter than 16" barrel. The Sig Sauer Pistol Braces (SBS and SBX) are commonly found on these AR-15 style pistols with vertical foregrips since they are not considered buttstocks. The ATF does not consider a weapon in this configuration to be an AOW, but instead classifies it as a ‘Firearm’ which does not require any tax stamp or additional registration.

Firearms having combination rifle and shotgun barrels, more than 12 inches but less than 18 inches long from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading

these are designed to be fired from the shoulder. An example is the Marble Game Getter an early 20th-century sporting gun sold before the NFA.[23]

5 Likes

so its all basically semantics and what accessories you add subtract from a firearm to classify it.:crazy_face: guess that would classify a 1856 LeMat a AOW if it was converted to cartridge, from cap and ball, as it shoots 9 rounds of .42 or .36, with a 20ga shot barrel in the center… crazy world we live in…

3 Likes

That’s what happens when lawyers and politicians that know nothing about firearms make “feel good” laws to make us all safe.

2 Likes